Lunar Day

Discussion in 'Universe' started by Blaqk, May 1, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

So the three storylines take place hours apart at twilight, night, and dawn. A lunar day is 27 Earth days meaning the period of dusk to dawn is in the neighborhood of 14 days. Wat?
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Just assume "earth time" is the standard measure of time for any human settlements. Besides space stations and mars would ALSO have their own days that dont correlate to goddamn anything.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Not to mention there are probably a lot of automated processes that corresponds to a 24 hour clock. Lights turning on and off, Martial Law curfews/lockdowns, just everyday stuff that's supposed to ease the burden on minds that have been built around that familiar 24 hour cycle of day and night.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

What about the lighting change on the map itself?
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

What lighting change?
  6. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Turbines embedded deep beneath the surface of the moon increased its rotation speed to be roughly equivalent to that of earth.
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Wouldn't that severely fuck with earth's tidal stuff?
  8. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

My personal take is that the lack of emphasis on realism is creating a convoluted universe. But that's just me. Ability has said that realism should take a backseat so here goes...

Some possible ways to explain a lunar day could be: strong nuclear powered electromagnetic induction accelerates a molten iron core in the moon.

Also, as mentioned on another thread, the moon is not our moon. But yet the loading screen art says Earth's moon (there is only one Earth) and now we're even talking about Mars.

Hence, the moon has to be our moon. Make no mistake about that.
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Or you know... Multiverse quantum theory and there are an infinite number of "Earth's Moon".

Sometimes I feel like the whole Realism thing plays up to being purposefully obtuse too much. I rather go with "Plausibility" or "Believability" so people don't get too hung up on it. Particularly on details that... in the long term aren't going to impact 99.9999999999999% of the content in an real, meaningful context. Especially when more basic concerns that are a much higher percentage to come up are often just skipped over.

For example: An RPG sourcebook I have that includes various settled planets in that setting, and has information like the position of the magnetic poles over the planets in question.... but doesn't tell me something as basic as average temperature ranges and climates in the hubs of civilization. Which I can tell you comes up a hell of a lot more than "Where is Magnetic North?"
  10. Ramses II
    • Donator

Tides are caused by the moon's revolution about the earth, not the rotation around it's axis.
  11. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Well more by the gravity of the revolution around the earth but not sure if the moons rotation can create any sort of increase in that or not.

Any astrophysicists playing NOTD?
  12. Ramses II
    • Donator

Honestly I think that if we figured out a way to increase the moon's rotation speed, we could also figure out a way to increase/decrease its revolution speed to what it was before the rotation speed was messed with.
  13. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Dug up one of my old school reports about the moon and it's rotation and found this.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

That strikes me as needlessly complex compared to the technology that every single hippie burnout on the planet has already. :p
  15. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Edit the loading screen.

/thread
  16. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

^we could do that.

Sure, it'll cause confusion, but it can be done.
  17. fox

fox New Member

lol I can think of a few consequences that can arise from the increase of the self rotation of an celestial body from top of my head:

Increased centrifugal force

This could present problems in 3 ways:

a) The structure integrity of the celestial body may become unstable:

For solid bodies, the outer layer will become more brittle. Gas giants are more likely to lose its outer masses, which may further increase its angular velocity and result in positive feedback.

b) Variations in local gravitational pull may become undesirable:

Don't forget that gravity "varies" depend on where the observer is located on the celestial body. At every point on the body, the gravitational force observed is a result of two forces counteracting each other: the celestial body's gravitational pull F1=GmM/R2, and the local "centripetal force" F2=mrw2.

If you're not interested in the maths, here a simple explanation: the celestial body's gravitational pull is constant for observers located at the same altitude (ie distance from the core). However, the centripetal force depends on the observer's latitude AND altitude. ie an observer stationed at the poles will experience greater gravity than observer stationed at the equator.

Now imagine if the moon's self rotation is increased by 27x. This will result in a 27x27 = 729 fold increase in centrifugal force around the equator, assuming that the local structures on the moon can still hold itself together.

c) Other Factors

Other miscellaneous factors include (but not limited to) change in tidal force, change in space time vortex around the celestial body (ie satellite/navigations will require re-calibration) and change in orbital mechanics due to gyroscopic force etc etc (the moon may sway out of orbit faster than before). These are not as serious as a and b.

By the way the easiest way to increase a celestial body's self rotation speed is by sheding off mass. Celestial impact sort of does 2 jobs in one go: shed off mass and increase angular velocity (provided the impact vector is favourable).

EDIT: Hmm it's getting late. Not sure if I've calculated the numbers correct (maybe exaggerated) but the essence should be more or less. I'll review the numbers when I have time.

EDIT2: OK feeling much better after some sleep. Changes detailed in scenario (a) and (b) are lesser of a problem when the radius of the celestial body is small. Recall F2=mrw2 where r is the radius from the axis of spin. For a small celestial body such as the moon, the difference in gravitational force at the poles and equator will be smaller than that observed on Earth. This differential effect is more obvious on gas giants due to their radius (but I guess there is not much point to speed up a gas giant's spin to start with). The atmospheric chemistry of such giant body may also be affected in this case due to loss of outer atmosphere.