Let's start working together!

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Annihilate, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

last time i helped newbs as medic they killed me next game...
  2. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

It also largely depends on my mood.
    I'm usually not in the right frame of mind to offer advice or help when i was tked last game by idiots who thought me healing them at 30% was more important than shooting and clearing mobs at 1st base.

we're all human. when i rage, i generally don't want it to influence innocents and prefer to keep mum.
  3. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

The way the game's designed, apparently EC newbie (or recruit as it is called nowadays) is apparently the training games. Apparently, newbies are expected to learn about the game from those training games with no other help whatsoever.

Now that the impossible has been stated, I like your idea, the main problem being to get new people to actually join them.
  4. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Actually, the main problem is people thinking it's funny to pretend to be a newbie and sneak into the game. It's not fucking funny.
  5. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

This has been mulled over a little over 4 times during the time I've been in the forums (and I'm relatively new)

The game itself on its own IS supposed to.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of other players to teach everything about the game to the newguys. The old players ARE players as well, have their own thing to do outside and inside the game.

Whether the "vets" decide to help or not is something that's completely optional (and there are quite a few who do go out of their way to aid newbies).

The fact however that people see that there is a NEED for vets to teach the new batches means there's a problem with the game's learning curve and information system and is apparently resulting in a huge gap between the old/learned players and the new ones.

A factor to consider however is that it is not the skill disparity that separates the population. It's the 'knowledgeable' players deciding they don't want to play games where a new guy can jeopardize 1-2hrs worth of effort.

Others would argue that if everyone always managed to get up to speed with how things are done (by being helped), then this wouldn't be a problem. We'd all be one big happy family.

But that's pretty much as big a dream as the game being able to teach players on its own.

And so on and so forth... (The argument just goes back and forth).

Doubt it'll get any resolution soon so a few of us just go on with our business. Sometimes teaching, sometimes not. But always playing. :p
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

A while ago Marloe had a "Tips for Newbies" topic. It was designed to have a Help File pulled up with F11 or whatever that hotkey was that would help impart some knowledge.

During the time I wrote up a lot of "newbie tips" that I wanted to see displayed during the game, on screen not hidden in a file you don't necessarily have time to read, and it's triggers. I believe The Man added some, if not All, of them. And while it didn't answer everything and impart every morsel of skill and knowledge into the game... I've noticed since then that newbies tend to be a little more on the ball. Not all of them, but generally I have to tell them to pick up ammo far less often. Or to grab multiple weapon types, the real bare bones basics.

I do think that the various modes, Survival, Alpha Company, and Apollo Security Team, could also use a system like this. Either tied to XP or perhaps detecting if they don't have say, 2 wins in the storyline/mode.
  7. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Players below 1k (or was it 500 exp) also receive yellow highlighted tips as they play the game. Try it out.

Move your bank somewhere for a bit and play NOTD EC as a 0exp player. You'll see the tips pop up here and there. Not sure how extensive/comprehensive they are now though. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.