Let's start working together!

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Annihilate, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Annihilate

Annihilate New Member

Hello NOTD community!

You may have played with me or not but I'm a recently hit 10k xp player on the NA server called Annihilate.

This is my first major post so be kind :blush:

After played 100+ games (which to some is a very small number) I've come to see that even that my progress from total noob to what most would I think to be a "vet" is nothing but a handful of tricks and tactics with key classes to help bypass the more difficult aspects of the game.

With this in mind, I've attempted to play the more difficult modes of the game to test myself to see how I would handle in tense situations (even more than other classes since I like playing medic) and I find that my skill level is better than most, but I feel like I am starting to plateau as the skill that I've acquired is 70% me feeling/thinking what is right and 30% is from my own observations of more knowledgeable players. I know I have room for improvement but reading FAQ's on forums is just not the same sometimes as seeing it's proper application from experienced players in game and I'm finding it more and more difficult to spot my own mistakes since every game is unique.

I believe some of the reasons, based on my observations for this is because:

1) The best players play with themselves.

And why wouldn't you? You can trust your entire team in knowing they know what they are doing and can work through most situations without pause. Not to mention since everyone is acquainted with each other, it is alot easier to forgive and retry, to test and explore new options that you could almost never do with newer players.

2) There is a severe lack of communication/teamwork between different skill level of players.

Whether it's in a pub game with brand new people, players having a new storyline available or doing nightmare games, I find that people have just stopped trying to work together, teaching others and most importantly, having fun. It's all about results, and if it's not obtained, people point blame instead of assisting and correcting the issues. When we first started playing NOTD, we picked up the mechanics on how to play and we all learn at different paces. We should strive look out for each other, to correct each other so that everyone can reach their peak and the team is playing at top of their game. Whether its better use of weapons, who should get priority for items, how and when things should be used and why certain skills are upgraded first and why. Not ridiculing people for not knowing certain things, especially if no one told them in the first place. Not just commandeering all resources to themselves thinking that I'm the best so I deserve everything. Not demoralizing the team when you die saying game over when victory is still within reach and certainly not barking out orders in rude and forceful ways.

I know that what has been said my not be true for everyone, but no one should have to experience 80% of their games being negative while only 20% of them being that ray of sunshine to urge them to continue playing, hoping for a good game like I did.:s

So, after all that said...
    I am suggesting is that on some regular basis, we organize something along the lines of training games. What do I mean by training games? Games where people with the some of the most knowledgeable and experienced players help train newer generations of NOTD players in all aspects of the game, in the hope that they too do the same so that we can continue to build a strong, helpful and most importantly, one of the most fun communities to be a part of.

The training games start anywhere from the basics, to understanding skills and their uses for all classes, positioning, party composition for specific storylines and it's limitations, effective combos with skills/weapons, anything and everything to improve everyone's game no matter their skill level and knowledge. That way, the Epic thread would be full of daily and entertaining situations to be shared by all :D.

I do however, find it embarrassing to admit to all of you that only recently did I find out that the bonuses for weapons stack for each instance it applies to. Ex. Gauss vs agron. I originally thought it did 12+4 dmg because since one of the conditions it being either massive or armored was met, only one of the +4 bonuses applied when it was in fact a cumulative bonus of 12+4+4 for shooting that same agron because it satisfies both conditions of being armored and massive. I only found this information out by exploring the work in progress NOTD wiki, which I give many thanks to Niteshade and others contributing but find unfortunate to have found out in such a manner after playing so many games oblivious to this seemingly obvious and fundamental fact. I feel that now I truly understand now after knowing this, why certain guns like the m5 does so much damage vs targets like erobos instead of just being told to use that gun.

These training games could happen daily, weekly, monthly or anything in between. But I do want them to at least be considered and to be implemented. How? I would simply host the game and designate it as such. ex. ec vet training runs, type 111 come to improve your game and have your questions answered or just run pubs and advertise that knowledge and training will be found within.

We should also be using this forum to it's maximum potential. I did see threads for competitions and such, but we should be also use it to find when people are available to go online, to schedule and plan games together so that we can get excited for days to come. This isn't limited to training games, we could have themes for days of the week. That we can look forward to Easy Company Mondays, Apollo b Thursdays or newbie Tuesdays or weird Wednesdays, where you try unorthodox compositions or tactics and see if it makes it easier or harder or let's learn a class Saturdays, this weekend, how to properly play mob recon with Diode! These are just simple ideas off the top of my head, but I want the community to hopefully explore and expand on this concept!

I've even started to compile a list of Q&A into a notepad so that if for example I'm in a game with a brand new player, I can copy and paste a paragraph detailing the important things to do at every step of EC and why so that they are never lost. To mention constantly that if someone has a question, to speak up since I find that without that being said, people are fearful of speaking up. Not to mention reminders even for myself of bad habits to break, like to not hang around the dead infesters in nightmare after knifing them as to not get swarmed by parasites and waste all the medic's (or my own) mana to heal venom and to manual reload more in nightmare.

I have played with some of you already like Niteshade and his critical thinking about classes like him as engineer vs me as Crofl and comparing roles to the team. Pyromaniac and his ability to judge the current state of the team and plan a way to victory even if it means sacrificing himself so that others may survive to win the day. But I don't have those skills, not yet, and I want to reach that point some day, but I need your help!

I am far from being an ideal candidate for tutoring people and even I have bad days and don't want to do anything but random in a pub. However, I'm determined more than ever to start teaching people how to play properly, because if we can reach a state where every game there is a helpful, friendly veteran to guide consistently everyone on how to plan, work together and win, then every person will feel included as part of the team, have fun and would want to play more. Just like Blaqk lead his epic pub to victory and where each member won like 4-5 medals. So I`m going to do what I do best which is having fun playing this game, learning how to improve so than I'm a better player and last but most importantly, wanting to share all the fun and more that is to be had playing this game with other people and I invite all you you to do the same, it can only lead to better games :angel:.
  2. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

You sound a lot like me back in september/october. I'll lead some training games for you.
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Anni is older than me, that's the scary part.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I promise you I can ruin your day in under 30 seconds in any given game from tanking enemies while standing in a firewall to absent-mindedly failing to preform a task I said I would do by some form of stupidity. It would be wrong to say I am a good player no matter what extent it is meant. I am just a noob with an abnormal amount of EXP.

E.g.
    There was a MotM Techie and a TTD Demo (Me). I said I would Taunt & TTD during shrieks to prevent him from dieing, but then I TTD'd to early, then forgot to taunt Queen off of him and he died, as I was then out of energy.

With that said, I don't mind playing a game with if, if you'll have me.
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

As stupid as me saying, "Fuck it!" and Adrenaline Surgical Striking the Queen with a Flamethrower? Only to find out that my tank didn't ever use Taunt? xD
  6. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I don't know ArcturusV, once I was a Combat Engie after queen fled, I decided to chase her and OD and slay her, but I forgot to remember that even she can find the time to attack you. Sometimes I rush toward the Brood mothers as well, but I also forget I'm no tank, though once I did that and forgot to TTD as a demotank.

I was stupid enough to say "With that said, I don't mind playing a game with if, if you'll have me."[hr]
    My grammar is impressive.
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

8. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

I like you. You are a good boy ^_^

I support this

The frequency with which I go online has decreased quite a bit so I can't promise that I'll be coming into these organized training games.

That said, I still do go to pubs to teach and try to redirect players to the forum and will continue to do so as part of this new (hopefully) unified effort. :D
  9. EliteShadow

EliteShadow New Member

This made me think, and I realized something. Vets barely ever talk in pubs and sometimes troll them for no reason (Downloading)
  10. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Downloading is an asshole, just ignore him. He does not count as a "vet."
  11. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

Isn't ^ an example of divisive behavior and non-constructive criticism?
  12. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

Let me put my two cents in.

I've always tried to help, those that are willing to listen. However, if there is no response after i yell a couple of times to do something or not to do something (usually 2-3 times) i give up and play in silence. when i mean no response i mean i see absolutely no text input from those people. they could have been afk if it wasn't for their unit moving around and shooting. that doesn't even include the people i meet who tell me to "shut up", but let's not go there.

the biggest issue i have is that it takes considerable risk to explain something, and we have limited pauses. even not including the douchebags that unpause when you want to explain something, there are more than 3 instances whereby you may need to explain what to do in advance. also, sometimes we need to give instructions on the fly. i'm no amazing touchtyper, and because i frequently use hotkeys, that 2-3 seconds of typing an instruction may cause me take 5 hits or lose 1 life. that is something that really puts me off teaching sometimes.

other than the grouses i have above, i usually try to remain helpful. but of course, i still have no answer to when someone comes into the lobby and ask "how do you play this game?" there is just no good answer lol.
  13. Annihilate

Annihilate New Member

This thread isn't about pointing fingers, but to remind the community that less experienced players are looking up to us for leadership and guidance during the game, whether or not they ask for it. Because it's only through these actions of teaching the how's and why's, of the patience necessary and proper leadership, that these very same values pass to others and it ripples to a degree we can't even foresee. Not to mention that everyone feels good, (even I still have that rookie feeling) when they feel that they are contributing and are part of a team.

It's also to try and see if we can setup a community calendar to set up specific runs, I would prefer it for training for future prospects and those wishing to improve but it could also used for specials runs of the sort.
  14. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

No. I'm serious, just avoid Downloading. Make your life more convenient.
  15. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

A word of advice, sometimes when you see no one is taking charge of directing the game, be the leader, ping locations and give orders. Generally people will follow instructions and it can make games smoother.
  16. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

If anyone in Clan UniT hasnt noticed yet. What we've been doig recently is remedial training and evaluations for everyone that i see needs it.

What Annihilate says is what I've been working on. Just because we've done it all, doesn't mean that training stops.
  17. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

So that's why you kept asking me to Medic despite me almost never playing a medic with anyone in those games, eh?
  18. Ramses II
    • Donator

We should start up help a newb foundation mark 3.
  19. poor_newb

poor_newb Member

Based on a true story:

Vet: You have to do X
    Noob: no
    Vet: Please do X
    Noob: no
    Vet: Please do X, if not you're going to die
    Noob: NO

*Noob dies because he didn't do X

Noob: OMG why didn't you tell me about X earlier
    Vet: I told you like a million times already

*Team gets wiped because Noob died

*Next game

Vet: Please do X
    Noob: NEVER!!!
    Vet: *facepalm
  20. Ramses II
    • Donator

Which would be why I said newb, not noob. There's a difference.