Lag Workaround

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ramses II, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Make the game 9 player with the first player to join on team 1 while everyone else is on team 2. Player 1 is the token dropper and quits during the loading screen. Put rather large on the loading screen "player 1: please leave the game during the loading screen to ensure a lag-free game for everyone else." And if they don't auto-kick them 30 seconds in for their selfishness.

This is what Aeon of Storms has done and it seems to work fine for them.
    [hr]
    Granted this will only work for EC, but it's better than nothing.
  2. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

But then people would fight for the non dropper spots and therefore NotD might be less popular because of less play time.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I'm currently composing a letter to Blizz to see if they have a different solution, or perhaps motivate them to fix this shit. I don't mind that they're taking my information down, but if it's fucking up the game, then I'm irritated.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone tell me in accurate terms (not the crap I saw in DF Discussion) what the lag is and what the potential causes are? I might be able to come up with a workaround that doesn't rely on the fleeting goodwill of Blizzard gamers.
  5. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Conditions: Full lobby or not full lobby

IF: no one drops at the load screen

THEN: Everyone gets 0-10 FPS. Memory allocation will show SC2 eating phenomenal amounts of RAM

THEORY: Blizz data tracker raping custom games with a lot of triggers/events by virtue of more stuff to do. High end PCs might be able to survive it, but having players with not so high end computers in the same game will make everyone's FPS suffer such that even if the Diamond PCs have 100+FPS, the Cardboard boxes in the same game will turn the game into a power point presentation.
  6. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

If, however, someone drops, it crashes the data tracking system and the game proceeds as usual without the added lag. Players gain, on average, 40 fps if someone drops during the loading screen.
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I do find it strange that it affects NA only though but it also means blizz is more likely to fix it promptly
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Define "data tracker". Are you referring to Agent?
  9. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Assumable, Blizzard has some sort of software that tracks player data etc. From people who are playing customs, causing server lag.

The tool is supposed to help Blizzard Improve the editor or w.e. they want usage data for, and came with Patch 1.5
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Ah, it's not Agent. Well fuck me silly, Blizzard is just giving all of their customers the finger of late. I'll go ahead and download 1.5 and see what I can find.
  11. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Is there any reason why a game defaults to recruit mode if one or more players drop?
  12. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Because the game interprets a dropped player as a new player because it loaded no bank data though it knows there is a player there so it gives them default stats.

That is, 0 exp.

The logic checks assume the player is there initially after loading their data even if they dropped.
  13. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Well, this discussion is now moot, Blizzard did maintenance today I believe on the SC2 servers (They were going to do D3, but cancelled), and now the lag issue is gone, just did an Alpha run with no issues.
  14. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Good to hear this is mainly okay. Please let me know if you still see any major recurring issues here.