Know your NOTD: Return of the Token Newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyanden, May 19, 2012.

1. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

In an age long gone, Easy Company Recruit mode (then referred to as noob mode) gave as much exp as a "Vet" game.

Because of this, exp farmers ground their way up to the 5 digit exp levels by having a party of

7 relatively high exp/knowledgeable players

and leaving

1 slot open for a random below 500 exp player.

This newbie was then referred to as the Token Newb (Term coined by Marloelikeswaffles if I remember correctly).

Given the nature of requiring that they be below 500 exp, token newbies had an
    expiry date or lifespan that usually lasted a maximum of around 5 or 6 games after which they were...
    discarded (for lack of a better term).

On one hand it was a cold hearted modus operandi. On the other, the newbies usually learned enough on these runs that they are able to fend for themselves among the (then) countless NOTD pub games. Or so the people who used the newbie tell themselves...

This method of 'cheesing' summoned the anger of many an old school player and so we have newbie mode in it's current incarnation and exp reward (70-80 exp from 120ish per newb speed run).

Ladies and Gents, I present to you the return of the Token Newbie.

Except this time he was host and invited the high exp players at random... meh, details, details.

Fun game really. Tons upon tons of low hp mobs.
    EASY EXP, EASY EXP EVERYWHERE!
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I remember the days of Rage.. when people would set up for a Newbie Mode game. 8th slot was Public and we're all waiting for a newbie in order to do something like.... Silver Star... Navy Cross, etc. Or just XP.

Then we see "chanlionROAR has joined!"
  3. Lyanden

Yeah, he and Hongbearr used to do that.
    They would actually do it on purpose too. Wait for a group to fill a pub near the brim, then take the last slot. :p
  4. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

how did you know they did it on purpose? o_O
  5. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Because old vets were smarter than current vets.
  6. Lyanden

To clarify what Niteshade said, check channel activity (which was always bustling with random conversations). Sudden communication cut offs, inside jokes popping up and other clues.
    Almost everyone was familiar with everyone else and their personalities. Cors' there were 3 channels then so it was harder than it is now.

That, and I played almost exclusively with those 2 + Belial and Hellokitty (Extifer when he was available) for a good 5 months. Usually, they shared their 'troll experiences' with us before, during and after the events.

And then of course there was ventrillo.
  7. OdinTL

OdinTL New Member

Ec speed 123 for invite +6 :p