Killing Kenny

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

2. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Perhaps make it if you kill kenny, he doesn't come assist sometime later in your match? Perhaps some sort of insta-revive for one squad member that ran out of lives?
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Having a line like "shoot me I dare you" doesn't exactly make him likeable. You generally need to care for characters before you feel compelled NOT to kill them. Most new players (or players unfamiliar with a campaign) tend to blast any npcs out of the water, simply because they can. The short answer is they want to see what killing them does.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

I tend to shoot the "Don't go up that road!" civ as soon as she's vulnerable.

Present more opportunities to kill civilians for rewards. Move Farica to just outside that darn civ hole and leave Anderton where he is, but have them drop their stuff when killed with a teeny chance of it randomly being something nicer. If players choose to kill them, after each kill have Koller express concern over that marine's disturbing behavior and continue tacking on a Karma penalty for each kill. Later in the respective campaign they can simply be given the guaranteed item (ammo from Kenny, antivenom from Farica, something more useful than Oculars from Anderton) with no chance for random anything and no karma loss.
  5. fox

fox New Member

One way I can relate to RPG is to make the NPC grow as the story develop. Since notd is generally a 1hr game, not a 40 hrs RPG, it is probably more suitable to focus on 1-2 characters throughout the entire game.

Say Ogilvy/Ivan (apologies in advance, I never pay attention who's who lol so I'll call them ogi/ivan throughout the rest of this post). They could start out as ordinary NPC that just follows the marines looking for friends/families. As the story develop they can gain new weapon/abilities (eg Ch1 no weapon, Ch2 CB, Ch3 CB+SG) or when certain conditions are met.

Their interaction with other NPC is important too. Say if the marines fail to protect civs, or even worse, kills certain number of civs, the NPC will lose trust and leaves the group (or even come back as mini boss for revenge at some point).

Or you can have alternative endings when the game ends. Current EC ending assumes Ogi/Ivan lives so he can kill the doc during end game cutscene. Maybe have a different ending cutscene (if this is doable) if ogi/ivan didnt make it to the end ("good end" vs "bad end")?

Just a thought...
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

This is something I've thought about quite a bit in gaming. Whether it's when I'm in Grand Theft Auto, or lately in Skyrim. What it reminds me of is say, a few random hermits who live out in the middle of nowhere (Like Anise at her cabin by Riverwood) who will attack me on sight. I can kill them. Then loot their home. Even though the owner is dead... about an hour later in the game I'll get a group of 4 Hired Thugs coming after me with a contract from the dead person to kill me. Yes, the contract is signed by the dead person. And it's always like that. No matter what lengths I go to be undiscovered, no matter how well I steal things, the game automatically knows I stole and punishes me for it. It always bothered me in games where somehow they are able to psychically divine I did something that the game's society doesn't like. Everyone who's played Grand Theft Auto knows what it's like, when you gun/run down some random pedestrian in the middle of nowhere with no witnesses, and still end up getting a wanted level for your trouble.

Often Karma gets used as such a tool. Or it feels like that. The narrative (Particularly in Easy Company) seems to be set up in such a way that Koller and his boys can't really keep tabs on the marines. Hell, don't we still have that "Solar Flares are jamming the Sat comms" line at the start of Easy Company? So it seems a little strange that they can witness and punitively (even if Karma isn't THAT much of a big deal) the marines for things that they probably don't report and have no real way of keeping tabs on.

Koller: What was that?
    Marksman: Oh, I just put a round right between this civilian's eyes because he was daring me to.
    Koller: You bastard!

But in the end, it's hard to make compelling moral dilemmas over the course of such a short gaming experience. What the guy in there is getting to, and I do agree, is that you need to have the sort of delay between Action and Aftermath that can occur in reality. Hard to have something like that with only an hour of gameplay at most.

I do think before I mentioned having Koller attempting to stop the Security Team, should they follow Kim's orders in the Apollo storyline. I think that sort of thing is as close as you can get. It doesn't really make sense for Koller to just go, "Okay, you're doing the worst possible thing I can imagine happening to the human race... I'll help you." Makes the choice a little more compelling and the story a bit more believable. I could accept the reality of Koller attempting to stop the Rogue Marines.

Similarly I like what's gone on with Deimos. Where it forces the marines to choose to either save themselves, or do things just that much more difficultly. Granted this is often used for Mechanical reasons, "We need to protect the Devestators so we can go Route B!" But I still find it an interesting thing. And I think that's probably the more fertile ground to explore. NOTD just doesn't have the legs to really do anything complex like that article was talking about necessarily.