Killing Guardian of the Beta

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Currently, people are running around the map in circles to kite kill it. After static tanking, static kiting is something else I'm trying to remove from NOTD. In classic NOTD, most 'kiting' is attack -> move back -> attack.

Is there anything we can do to help make this boss fight more interesting (e.g. sandbox players but Kith is not a fan of this). Also, the boss needs a new name. We're out of Beta.
  2. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

What about Hyperion as the name following the naming traditions of most other bosses?
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'm okay!
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I kind of like Atlas myself. And it fits just a bit better for me.

From what I understand then, you basically want what IVAX was when he first appeared. We couldn't tank him, not really, because of LolCannon, and we couldn't just endlessly kite him because of Lolmissiles. EMP at start prevented what goes on now where abilities are spammed the moment he appears and locks him down with Smites, Faiths, Napalms, Shockwaves, etc. to just nail him down.

And I see those three things as the real requirement to set up what you are talking about:

1) Prevent players from setting up the bomb before it appears.

This can be done in a variety of ways. Wave 39 becoming so hectic with dangerous enemies that the idea that players would be fully loaded when Atlas appeared and waiting to nail him is a non starter. This is perhaps the most organic method to do it and least likely to make players feel like they just got randomly screwed... but also the hardest to pull off. Massive EMP effect right when the Guardian appears can do something as well. Particularly since the classes that mitigate energy loss, SurvCon and Field Engineer don't seem to be used as much in Survival. But honestly this point isn't AS important. It's somewhat important. Particularly with Techs, FOs, and Nanotech Medics being able to work together to basically pin Atlas to the ground if they coordinate well.

2) Punish players who just run.

IVAX again did this with Missile Swarms. Hephaestus did this as well with the Predatory Aggression thing picking off lone marines as that forces players to slow down a bit to try and remain together. Honestly he needs to have some mechanic in place that prevents, usually the Nanotech, from basically reversing the speed balance so that Atlas is at 2 MS and the players at 3. You can often see the player marines, if doing it right, with about a range 50 gap against him at certain points. Increasing ambient spawns a bit at this point so it's not just the occasional stalker might be an option. But it's not my favorite. Rather have a different effect. Something akin to IVAX's satchels honestly. With a trigger like "If a marine is at greater than 15 range, 10 second countdown activated. If at the end of the countdown, a marine is still at greater than 15 range, spawn 1 Plasma Detonator (ala Field Engineer) within range 2-5 of each marine for each marine at a range greater than 15 from the boss". Thus if you have 3 Marines who have run all the way away from him and this activates, you end up with 3 Plasma Detonators spawning near each marine.

3) It needs a way to control range from it

Or rather a method other than sapping all it's speed away with Nanosear and related abilities. Oddly I wouldn't mind something a bit stranger, particular if that Plasma idea gets used. Like if Precision skills (Precision Shot, OSOK, etc, skills which conceptually are about applying precise damage instead of massive doom) applied the Z Effect to the boss and increased it's defenses, so you can stop him momentarily to control range/save someone but you can't just stall him and smite him. I admit I don't have a lot of good options for this. But I have the feeling there should be some built in mechanic to help players deal with the 3 Speed and be able to control the range instead of hoping their Nanotech Medic necessarily survived until this point.

Just my rough thoughts on it.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

You misunderstand what I said. My commentary was that "sandbox" fights are often too small. I like sandboxes when they're more like arenas, which are significantly larger.

Also it'd help if GOTB was less "just run at you and attack you" and had more ability-based mechanics.
  6. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

Until you make it so that he does not one shot you, people are going to kite him. If you want to make the fight less of a click fest around the map then I suggest making him visible, so that players can actually shoot him then move on. Plus if he is visible you can put in a mechanic that, I don't know, every 3-4 minutes he teleports to another location on the map that isn't occupied by any player. Making people spam the L3 is not fun.

Also I don't think he needs a name change. Yes we are out of the beta, but he was still the Guardian of the Beta, so his name still stands true.