Karma Bonuses?

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by {Shadow, Jun 27, 2012.

1. {Shadow

{Shadow New Member

It's nice and all that maintaining a good karma lets you control leaver unit's, but how about some karma bonus for having 1600/1700/1800/1900 or 1990 Karma?

You can really see it as a reward for players who have stayed whole games and not quit when they have died, or have gone out of their way to gain all that karma.

Asides from gaining karma from leavers, it's a bit disappointing that there is no bonus gain from it at all, just an idea I thought about when looking at some people's karma while playing
  2. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

I'm for the idea of having rewards for karma, maybe not at every 1k threshold though. Since votekick requirements got changed ages ago, there hasn't really been a reward for karma other than gaining control of leavers. It has made karma more of a punishment only thing rather than one that punishes low karma people and rewards high karma people.
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Personally I think its a good idea, but I know that some of the other old player would disagree saying that karma you get regardless of what you do.
    Not quite true to be honest as you can lose karma from quitting, TKing and failing/not doing certain missions.
    Generally though, Karma does trend upwards, but so does rating (unless you intentionally tank it, but you could reduce karma the same way)
  4. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

If some bonus is to be implemented I hope it will be something minor like the new switch speed for rating. Maybe +1 vision.

Right now Karma really is something that you just kind of rack up over time from playing. Karma could probably use a revision to make it a little more volatile, more ways to earn or lose. This way, new players can earn it faster, and seasoned players can lose it easier.

Here are some suggestions to choose from for additional ways to lose / gain karma:
    -1 karma for killing any civilian.
    -1 karma for killing a mini.
    -1 karma for shooting or hitting a teammate with an ability that breaks the shield.
    -10 karma for any team kill. (increase from current level)

+1 karma for every extra 10 civilians over 60 rescued in Easy Company.
    +1 karma for keeping an EC mini alive until the end.
    +1 karma for rescuing all 6 Delta 2 civs in Alpha.
    +1 karma for rescuing all of the civs in Apollo Sec.
    +1 karma for sealing the chem. leak in the SY with no one moving off a hex before completion.
    +1 karma for completing a campaign with every team member alive.
    +1 karma for completing a non recruit game when more than 60% of the team was KIA.
    +1 karma from wining survival AND killing all bosses (Perses, Nazara, Demeter)
    +1 karma for completing any non recruit game with less than 10k xp.
    +1 karma for personally rescuing 20+ civilians in EC during domes as a player with less than 5k xp.
    +1 karma for bandaging 4 bleeding teammates over the course of a game.
  5. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Great ideas!
  6. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

what are the bonus?
    the only usefull for me bonus:
    - 1500 karma for random OP classes in recruit/vet/nm
  7. Thermidor

What do you mean by random OP classes? Randoming classes not in the storyline you're playing?
  8. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

lol 1700rating + 10k xp :p
  9. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

like technican MoTM tanking like a boss and kiting queen after BO.
    psi-ops never dies if you kite everything....
    chem expert so high damage and AOE
    pathfinder pubstomping.
  10. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

I was hoping for something like shop discounts if you reach certain level of karma, but then people could suicide their way to 2000 karma just to get cheaper weapon mods and that wouldn't be fair to everyone who bought them at original price >.>
  11. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

i doubt wep mods would be cheaper
  12. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

We should get angel wings at 1990+ karma.
    Lacus can get pink ones :D
  13. Thermidor

I was thinking less credit store discounts and more of a passive boost to something that wouldn't be overpowered. idk a small thing for example vision boost or weapon range increase or movement speed boost. The exact amount of the increase would have to be balanced (get Kith or someone to do that).
  14. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

We already have stat points, weapon mods, and now rating bonuses. We don't really need karma bonuses. Just because there is a rating, or statistic, that doesn't mean you need to be given a cookie to tell you how wonderful you are.
  15. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

I dont like the idea of karma giving anything usefull. You get karma just for playing, making it basicly the same as saying at 10k exp you get 2% movespeed. why? because. You get something for rating but lose your extra lifes for it and you actually have to work for it. Not even close to as much as i would like it to but atleast its not given for free and possible to actually lose some rating.
  16. Thermidor

You two have a point. I would still like some sort of bonus for karma, but in that case, we can move away from the "useful" bonuses. How about some aesthetic differences then? I don't really know what to give as an example but you get what I mean.

On a side note, although you do get karma for playing, it accumulates far slower than xp and also you can lose it easier. The only way to lose xp currently (other than bank file fuckups) is -karmabite. You lose karma in much more ways like at the start of a game, during bio-domes sequence in ec (although you can get it back by saving 20 civs or so), killing Ramirez (although it rewards you with items), I think killing lots of civs does too. Finally, TKs, whether accidental or not makes you lose 5 karma too.
  17. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

I'm also leaning towards Karma being related to shop privileges. Seeing as Meg suggested the discounts, I thought I'd bring up that it was one of the more prominent ideas back when the shop was about to be implemented. That it was brought up again after several months and by a new generation might mean it's worth looking into.

Personally though, I would also like for Karma to determine which items a player has access to in the shop.

Like the stinger for example. Low karma would usually imply either TKs or few games played. I feel it would be unwise to allow such players to have access to the Stinger early game. Same with the Grenade Launcher and, before it became completely incapable of TKs, the Barret.

(offtopic: I suggest that the Barret be nerfed a tad by allowing it to deal damage to teammates. People are less likely to make the mistakes we did when it was newly implemented. It doesn't have to be full 100% damage though. Perhaps something similar to what the Stinger has. Logistical reasons revolve mostly around: Very Team friendly for a "high level gun" and Too MotM friendly)

as well as any other weapons that will be implemented that would have friendly colateral damage capabilities
  18. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

Shop discount for karma is waaaay to unfair for the current incarnation of karma. Like it has been mentioned, karma is basically just something you end up with as long as you have played a ton of game without being retarded. Oh you have 60k xp? Here, have 1/2 price weapons.

If the shop was still in recruit it might be a good idea, but now that it's not... I don't see the point. I'd rather see something like if your karma is too low you can't equip Epic weapons found in game like Stinger (or formerly shiva)

Karma needs some revisions before moving forward on any potential reward (or PUNISHMENT!).
  19. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Original values were tagged at 5% discount at 2k karma. Just sayin.

Also, having access to said Epic Weapons early game for a non-pub has more detrimental effects than to have them accessible to "potentially dangerous players" in a pub.

An organized game getting accidents will have more adverse effects on the players who took the time to gather a team as compared to a pub which doesn't need much in the way of organization to fill a lobby.

Also, in a pub, a stinger outright murderizing people by accident can have positive effects via sheer wow factor for the newbies. This game has a rocket launcher!!! Now that the shop is inaccessible for pubs however, it's a non-factor anyway.

So back to organized games and allowing purchase of Epic Weapons vs outright not allowing them to equip said tools.

1st. Coding and complications. A player would have to be disallowed from actually picking up the weapon at all, not just equip them. I'm not sure there's a workaround for that.

2nd. If only a small team is left towards late game, and it is a must that the stinger be held by said low karma player and he is unable, the team would be in a lot of trouble. Punishing the team for 1 player's low karma is bad design in my opinion.

3rd. Preventing purchase by the low karma individual would mean that it's less likely that early game trolls would happen via said weapons.
    Late game, sure that potential troll could still obtain the Epic weapon, but so would the others. Allowing low karma players access to the shop would mean there is literally nothing the team can do to prevent the purchase.
  20. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

Im pretty sure that never happens in organized games. Lets just agree neither idea is any good.