Jun's Guide to Apollo Sec - WIP

Discussion in 'Strategy and Tactics' started by KatsuraJun, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Not to mention the only semblance of a taunt in the game.
    But I guess you're right. technician is just that good.
  2. KatsuraJun

KatsuraJun New Member

Pretty much. Any time someone says I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO GO I just say "Go wep tech then."

Also, added 3 possible team compositions.
  3. marloelikeswaffles

marloelikeswaffles New Member

Uh. There are actually a few options. A Fort Demo can tank Diemos with nanoshields, and 2 or more explosive demos with 9 int can probably satchel him to death before anyone could tank him. When he was first implemented teams would kite him around the map (like you would athena), with an L3 this might also work to kill him (though the new, faster, minions would be a pain). These compositions (FA+Fort, Explo+Explo) don't work so well on a B route attempt, but work quite well for A route. I wouldn't really sweat these esoteric styles of play; for newbies just hit the standard and basics with a "this is not the only way to do this" boilerplate.
  4. KatsuraJun

KatsuraJun New Member

Mm, I remembered someone mentioning that the minions were implemented to prevent kiting, so I pushed that out of my mind.

I'll add the bit about demolitions. They do sound fairly strong for the final reactor holdout, with two satchels to handle incoming waves or TTD to control mobs.
  5. marloelikeswaffles

marloelikeswaffles New Member

If you feel like writing full compositions for A route, I'd suggest Fort Demo, FA med, Survival Rifle, Psi Storm, Field Engy, Turret Tech, Surveillance Recon, and Subtley MM. Any really heavy composition of CC works, though. And for reactor you throw sextuple firewalls on both reactor approachs for the lulz. No satchels.

P.S. The minions are intended to prevent kiting but they don't actually function that way. The napalm from their explosion works to slow deimos, so as long as you can CC them away from you (countermeasures, traps, force push, stuns, etc.) deimos should still be kitable. Fun fact - if you kite long enough (about 30 minutes) his AI should run out of cycles and he'll stop spawning minions. Do NOT recommend trying this yourself.
  6. KatsuraJun

KatsuraJun New Member

Mm, I'll keep this in mind. Though, I want to do an A run this weekend before I talk more about it.

I'm probably gonna move Team Compositions to the end of the guide too, considering I talk a lot about certain events in the campaign...
  7. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

^Great for solo runs. Just set yourself a few waypoints around the map, put a weight on the Z button, and go afk for half an hour and then come back to engage. You do have to stay semi-present so that you can make sure you don't so completely outdistance deimos that you lap him and he mercs you.
  8. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Hmm... But is it possible to solo Apollo?

Also, glad to see you changed your name Ozy, it was indeed getting confusing with the You in there, I kept on thinking I replied to the thread instead of you.
  9. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I've soloed apollo route A before when I've been lacking in internets. It takes a while, but the nice things are that you don't have to rescue B team meaning you have unlimited time to scout, deimos only spawns one egg at a time, hacking HAL and the reactor core doesn't go backwards when you don't stand on the hexes, and no one cares If you pause and walk away for half an hour. If you don't care about your drones or ivan (assuming you're a motm tech which imo is the best for soloing apollo), you don't really have to worry about manually targeting with non-bar weapons on motm either.
  10. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Well, I suppose I need to play apollo more, though I wouldn't solo because soloing gives really bad xp - time ratios (at least for EC). But I guess if my internet is really bad (as it often is) I could try this thing.
  11. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

NEEDS UPDATING
    There's a crap ton of new stuff