It's poll time: The FO's Left Tree

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Kith, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So, hey. Theoretically, if I were to replace Shockwave Barrage with Gunship, how would you folks feel about that?

I'm looking to make the FO's skymasher tree a bit less clusterfucky because somewhere I had an epiphany and realized that the rework that I presented in the FO Rework Thread is a little more complicated than it should be. I then proceeded to consider what skills were available to be cut to make the condensing of the FO's trees a bit smoother, and...

Well, Shockwave is one of those weird useless/OP skills. For some people it's complete crap, and then there are pros who completely trivialize bosses with it. I was thinking about the FO's disable capabilities as skymasher already, what with the new Bombing Run and his access to Napalm, and... I dunno, I think it's kind of overkill. We also still face the problem of getting the Gunship into the left tree without displacing skills, so my proposition is thus:

• Replace Shockwave Barrage with Gunship Support
    • If the FO is found to have not enough stopping power, apply a short stun to the Cannon on the gunship (which should be plenty considering that the rocket also stuns)

The basic rundown of skills would then look like this as a result:
    Tier 1: Arty barrage, Logic Engines (shell accuracy and shell speed)
    Tier 2: Gunship and Bombing Run
    Tier 3: Napalm

So I'm gonna leave it up to you folks. This would make the rework take a lot less time and still accomplish the same basic thing that the rework was aimed towards doing, but I don't want to push for such a change unless everyone was interested in seeing it happen.
  2. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

I think replacing Shockbarrage with gunship is a good idea. My only question is: What will instead become the Tier 3 of the right tree?
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

4. ForeRunner

ForeRunner Well-Known Member

He was asking what the Infantry Tree got for a T3 not the Arty Tree
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Oh, derp. I can read. That can be found here.
  6. Blaze

Blaze New Member

Dude do this! i would love FO all the more after this if you do!
    [hr]
    also is it possible to make the gunship auto target enemies a certain distance from the team? so you dont have to fly it.. that ride always makes me kinda momentarily airsick
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I quite like shockwave. Nothing like stopping those pesky waves during Perses with em :D
  8. Lulz

Lulz Well-Known Member

i <3 shockwave and despise gunship =(. This would make me sad
  9. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

Hmmm, personally I love Shock wave for the disables it gives. Like when fighting Dem in alpha. Gunship is eh...I don't like it. -__-
  10. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

My suggestion would be to replace the shockwave barrage strikes with the Satelite Link skill from back in the day that makes the artillery strikes/napalam more accurate.

The other suggestion would be to replace shock wave barrage with napalm and have the tier 3 skill as Gunship. However, the gunship should be like how it once was within the old alpha and napalm should be nerfed a little bit if it made into a tier 2 skill.

My only reason for wanting to bring back some of the old F.O skills and have things like they once were is because I believe in the saying,
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I have attached a replay of the old Alpha. Keep in mind that there was an alpha that was older than this one I have attached.

[attachment=1816]
  11. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Do we have to keep gunship? I've never liked it and would personally much prefer if it was just dropped entirely. It doesn't actually synergize with anything on either skill tree, is extremely costly on the graphics card (making it worthless for some percentage of the playerbase), and is entirely different from everything else in NOTD.

I would advocate for gunship's removal for The Final Cut, and I definitely don't want shockwave gone as I find it highly necessary for the FO to not whore kills and still carry the team.
  12. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

No, gunship removes control, which means you can't lay down more artillery fire, and even if you hotkeyed all of the abilities for use during gunship, the iffy cam would make bombing runs and artillery much more dangerous to the team than they ought to be. Gunship is fun, and can give some good moving support (auto lvl3 LD and light dps), but the left tree is all about turning choke points into craters filled with the blood of your enemies.
    If shockwave really needs to go, fine, but don't replace it with anything that robs you of control or requires channeling. Maybe change shockwave so it stuns all units and bosses the same, but reduce the duration of the stuns?
  13. Blaze

Blaze New Member

i honestly think the gunship could be ai controlled but make it so it can only target enemies sooo far from the team (is that possible?)
  14. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

what if napalm had a stun effect on impact?
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The reason I don't want to cut Gunship is because, honestly, it's a lot of fun to use. Also, a lot of work was put into it and I don't want to see that go to waste.
  16. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

If gunship was like how it once was back in the days of Alpha where Cerebus was a dog model and cronus had two forms then I would be find with that alone and I think many other players would be as well.

Gunship back then was pretty much a bad ass ship to use as a tier 3 skill for forward observer. First of all you were able to spam the guns and missiles on it and it actually did a significant amount of damage to the mobs. Also it was loud, awesome, and when you used it, it felt like you had the ultimate power within the palm of your hand.

Now the gunship of today's game is very very sad to say the least. The attacks are very slow and they don't do many damage to the mobs. Personally to me, it feels like it does "fart" damage at best and sadly it brings a tear to my eyes.

This is actually why many players currently forgo that tier 3 skill and instead switch their talent points to the artillery tree once the gunship is even available.

So my suggestion would be to leave it like how it once was back in the old alpha and make the adjustments that are necessary to balance it, but within reason.
  17. CooL

CooL Member

Those are perfect & pricise description of gunship. Plus the sound of firecracker instead of big gun is really misplaced.
    I've seen most FO'er in alpha that skip gunship for those reasons. And the others who use it are FO's first timer, because they think the mighty Asgard will crush enemy like a tiny little ant.
  18. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Would it be possible to toggle on/off gunship view? Meaning with the right combination of buttons or w/e you can fire the gunship from normal view? Just wondering if possible.

Also would the mini be keeping his same model (marine) or would it still be switching to firebat/marksman just taking out ailment recovery?

Also i noticed you put stimpacks cost 10hp + etc, is that definite?
    [hr]
    As for gunship damage / effects, i would agree it needs to be boosted, not just because its slow, weak, and sometimes difficult, but it can be incredibly dangerous to use and therefor should give a recipricitive amount of dps. You hqve no control of your body, and for such low dmg it almost is worthless unless you use it at times you dont really need it.
  19. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

I really like gunship, but shockwave is too useful to trash. Hopefully "something else" will not trash gunship
  20. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Shockwave is useful, i see less people use air strike.