Items and Visibility (Warning: Large Images)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So I was taking a break from mulling over concepts and working on stuff, and a friend of mine challenged me to do some speedruns of Left 4 Dead 2 to take my mind off of things and just kind of give it a rest for a little while, so I said "what the hell" and did so. I fired up Dead Center, and I noticed something.

The items, despite being "realistically textured" and therefore not bright and eye-catching, were easily visible because they had an aura. The simple realization struck me that NOTD's item crates don't have to be massively reworked in appearance and/or size, and I remembered seeing a similar visual effect in another game. I went hunting and, sure enough, I found what I was looking for.

There is a way to make something glow without giving off ambient light as a Road Flare would. Even viewed through a building or next to an obstruction, objects are still distinctly visible. I'm not suggesting that items become burning beacons such as the Zappa unit, but I'm positive that we can use that filter/effect in a much more toned down form and use it to make items far more recognizable. We can even implement different glow colors for the different items, such as red for weapons, green for ammo, and blue for armors. Medical items don't really need a glow, considering that they're already very visually distinct.

How we implement it can be done several ways. We can apply the glow effect to all item boxes, but this may or may not tank framerates. We could also give all players an aura buff that only affects items with a radius of 6 or 7 that applies the highlight to the item boxes. In addition to making things easier to find for the players, it will also inject some life into the slowly-becoming-defunct Mobility Recon. My thought process behind this is that Mobcons will have an easier time of locating items than the Surveillance Recons will, as they will be scouting personally rather than using a drone (which will not have the highlight effect).

So that's my food for thought. Going to go back to working on other stuff now.
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Yes. [Insert Many "Yes"s here] Down, Sparky. ~Kith

You get the idea; put it in.

+2^38964
  3. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

NotDSO has weapons that have an aura of blue/white light. I suppose this is the same idea.
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks - agree with the concept. Now to figure out how to make it work. Will ask on SC2Mapster. Also, what is the map in the screenshot examples above?

Here's one thread I found (but that one only glows for high settings and above):
    http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/develo ... rver-glow/
  5. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

And the system works again!
  6. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

How will this affect graphics strain? I know a lot of people already are playing at minimum graphics, and the game tends to lag up in huge battles like the queen fight. (There also tends to be a huge pile off weapons crates around the team)

If there is no notable affect, it should be a good idea.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The map in question is Space Zombies, and the unit in question is Zappa. I'll test lowest possible settings now.

So, I looked into it, and the results are less promising than I had hoped, which is fairly frustrating. However, after pushing my graphics up to Medium, it displayed properly, so... I'll be fiddling with it more in the not too distant future to see what exactly the setting is that makes the glow happen (if it's shader, effect, ect).
  8. Arturia

Why not just do something like Foresight or Heightened Senses to items? Of course, a different display, but something along the lines of how those work.

I kinda thought you had meant Foresight, for items.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Well, I was hoping for the outline aura effect specifically, as it's eye-catching but not distracting. You can look at it and say "hey, there are items over there", but you don't run into problems such as these.
  10. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Was it you who I told you how to troll gas/apoc screens in that Apollo?
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

What? You mean trollblinding with Road Flares? That's been "a thing" for a very long time.
  12. Arturia

I recall the QQ from when flares got changed. The first complaint on it was during Dropship; someone dropped multiple flares and so the QQ began. lower End computers weren't affected by it, because their graphic settings were to low.

Anyways, what about the SS_Glow effects? (Cortex RP is pretty neato because you can tinker stuff and see the results to an extent)
  13. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

I saw no large images in this thread and as such am disappointed. :(
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Yeah, I kinda put them into URLs instead. No reason to break tables.