Installing Another SC2 Client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shooz, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Is there a way to make it so the files from the new client will not overwrite the files from the existing client?

I'd like them to have two different directories entirely. Their own registries to link to their own folders. That way I can play them separately without any issue of losing anything from the current existing client and folders associated with it.

Any input?
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

3. Shooz
    • Donator

Thanks Nite. That helps a lot...
    [​IMG]
  4. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Are both games different versions (NA and EU for example)? If so, couldn't you install both games on different drives?
  5. Shooz
    • Donator

I suppose I could do that. Also, your question is correct. It's an EU client and I have an existing NA client in place.

I'll give your idea a shot Lacus.

EDIT: It's still telling me that It'll overwrite files on my C: drive even though I changed the install directory to the D: drive.

Here's what it says after changing the directory to D:\Starcraft II\

A folder named "C:\Users\Shooz\Documents\StarCraft II" already exists.
    A folder named "C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II" already exists. The existing contents of this folder will be erased.
    The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II.lnk" will be overwritten.
    The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II - Map Editor.lnk" will be overwritten.
    The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II - Repair.lnk" will be overwritten.
    The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II - Manual.lnk" will be overwritten.
    The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\Blizzard Technical Support.lnk" will be overwritten.
    The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\Battle.net Account Management.lnk" will be overwritten.
    The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II - Uninstall.lnk" will be overwritten.
  6. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Ok, this is fine. What these error message are saying is the links that you find in the windows start menu will be overwritten and will POINT to the new client. The clients themselves will be fine, you will see both folders, go into them and launch the respective starcrafts. One of those folders is simply the cache battle.net uses for maps for faster loading.
  7. Shooz
    • Donator

This wont overwrite banks will it?
  8. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Backup your SC2 folder in My Documents first.
    Then install both clients (each on a diff drive for instance)

Then start the new client. This should create after login some new folders in My Documents.

You can then add the other client's old SC2 folder to the new one, noting that your player ID for either realm is different (which is good, so they are separate and won't overwrite)

Essentially you end up having 2 accounts on 1 PC (which you can also have on 1 realm)
  10. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Reasonably sure it will -not- overwrite banks, it will just make a new account folder for the new login on the other portal I'm pretty sure; but just incase you should probably backup the account folder.

It may override some other folders in there tho.
  11. Shooz
    • Donator

I appreciate the feedback on this from all yall.
  12. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

Step one, Backup data just in case then Change name of Program file Starcraft (mine is SEA starcraft 2)
    [attachment=420]

Step 2 Get the .exe file and put them wherever but name them differently
    [attachment=421]

Step 3- In documents copy the info(account names) from your backup and paste it in. I think i just copied and pasted the whole thing but tbh, as it was mentioned before, i cant remember if it did overwrite the documents file. Just keep a backup as security :)
    [attachment=422]

Step 4 -TA DA!
  13. Shooz
    • Donator

Alright, I've got the EU SC2 client installed now and have even logged onto it.

For some reason, I cant get my bank working though. Anyone wanna gimme a hint as to why?
  14. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Now that you've been in an EU NOTD game it will have created a new folder in your EU SC2 documents folder for NOTD.
    That should be:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Shooz\My Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts\XXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX\Banks\2-S2-1-1535419

Place your NA bank there
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

'cuz you a nub.
  16. Shooz
    • Donator

Cool, it's working nicely now.
  17. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Yes, install each in a different named folder. Then make the shortcuts in your desktop and rename them by server.