Inputs - Draft Loading Screen

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Inputs? This is done by Justin Phang (Dinlouz from SEA Server) - same guy who created our current logo. If there are no violent objections will bring it live by next weekend.

Intent is to provide character visualization. Justin will make possible final tweaks before going live. I've already given my thoughts earlier in private. Thanks.
  2. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

I'm ok with this.

Just feels a tad too generic for an SC2 custom map. Is there anyway to give it the atmosphere that NOTD has?
  3. Kusanosky

Kusanosky New Member

The current loading screen is 10x better. I love notd not only because it s a good game with a nice game play but cause there is a story.

The new as said Lyanden is generic and boring as fuck.
  4. Eagle 11

Eagle 11 Well-Known Member

That loading screen fails because:
    On the background its showing an interior area(probably lab),where majority of the game happens wandering outside apollo. Laboratory is an key area in the storylines but since loading screen is the second thing(first being the download bar) you face about an custom map therefore its part of first impression,just deserves to be something better. Btw: Whats a Tyranid Sporemine doing in the tube ? Is that Hades in evolution ?
    Using Nova fails because her most important part,dat ass has ben halfly faded out,terrible terrible damage..
    Using Advanced classes in the loading screen which are not available for an 0xp may cause mixed opinions at the freshman. Like 'whoa theres a robot in it *.*' followed by an 'pah,lies again! Thats not even in the map QQ' (since the guy haz no idea)

What i would recommend is drawing a battle scene rather than just showing an area in the background with some characters staying before it.
  5. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I.... Prefer the current loading screen to this. The fact that it is using SC/SC2 characters is kinda the turn off (mainly Nova). For the most part, all classes have a custom portrait image (not talking about the portrait, but the picture that changes when you get your ultimate). The faces etc. Makes it seem like its just some random StarCraft Lore Spinoff.

It also appears pretty generic as has been mentioned.
  6. Seeky

Seeky New Member

I like the artwork, but its quite empty at the borders, could use more characters, etc
  7. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Maybe have some zombies appear on he border?

Eagle 11: The Lab is a key location in NotD, every storyline uses it. Plus Dr. Bergman unleashed the zombies from his lab.
  8. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I think adding more girls to the loading screen is a bit cheap and seems to suggest they are there to fill a lack of content.

Nothing wrong with tough guys on the screen.

The current screen is OK in terms of story, but that can actually be condensed into a corner of the new screen.

The new screen ideally should have some basics screentakes which show players how to play NOTD and a few quick things they ought to know.

Also, feature the forum and changelog prominently on it.

Seasoned players pay little attention to the loading screen, it is mainly there for new players.
  9. QxAgent

QxAgent New Member

I like it just add some more stuff on the sides.
  10. Froblock

Froblock Well-Known Member

That is fucking hot.
    The concept of it seems to be short and discrete, only giving glimpse to a few of the classes and the rest of the screen encompasses darkness.

Going along with this design/idea, you could add a few (3 or 4) of the zombie units in amongst the shadowy darkness.
  11. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

Kind of generic. Could make picture of squad waiting at a gate or being briefed in briefing room aboard General's ship.
    Or what Froblock said, with hanson zombie staring at squad, hunger for their blood or something.
  12. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

Yeh what everybody been saying it's generic and the lack of story is tbh pretty shitty, art is nice. However new players will gain foresight and a glimpse as to the story from the old loading screen compare to the new. The new one is more flashy and abit more action, the technician and mando and po is misleading in it. As someone said before new players might be expecting those classes then its WTF, I need 10 k xp for those classes.
  13. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Well-Known Member

In order to really understand what is needed, we need to think about it like your average person on sc2. They will have no idea about anything in NOTD. Now coming from that perspective, I see Nova, a war pig, a medic, a big shooting mech thing, maybe a goliath, maybe a viking. And then a brain thing floating in a tube. wat... The art work is great, very great. But: nothing can be obtained about the story from someone who isn't familiar with the full story line of notd. Why is nova there if she isn't even playable? Why is there the test tube thing? I know that sometimes a picture can never be enough to explain an entire experience, but this is not the picture I would include. It almost reminds me (and I honestly mean no offense what-so-ever) of the cover of a low quality movie.

Now, as I was typing this I realized that a movie cover is exactly what we want for this, and after looking through my family's collection of movies, from rather poor quality movies (green lantern for example. It just says "green lantern") to movies I have not bothered to watc (walking tall, frequency, and others) then on to the movies that I know are great movies, and ones I rather like (inception, the a-team, the lord of the rings). This is a great start to a loading screen, but I would suggest having the assault, roflman, and other lower level classes (but keep a few of the others, I am merely making suggestions) so that it isn't possibly misleading to people who have never played NotD before.
  14. Gattu

Gattu Well-Known Member

Needs more of a zombie element or else it would seem like a sc2 story line spin off with zombies added into it
  15. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Background story/setting need to be presented in the loading screen. Not the exact text in the current one, maybe something more concise. People should know that this game takes place in a separate universe and the wheres, when and whats of the universe. Bullet points: it's the future on some space colony (that's not the moon). This answers any non-technical/gameplay concerns someone might have entering the game like: Why does this do or look like this? It's the future goddammit. Why does my unit behave like this instead of this? It's not based in vanilla SC, you shit! That thing looks like a thing from SC2, should I expect it to behave similarly? No, you fuck, alternative universe! So yeah, setting and background text and then end it with the whole, "Your squad is sent in to investigate something or other" line.
  16. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Hmm. Thanks for the feedback. If it's not good enough, then I won't publish it. Important to get a good one.
  17. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Maybe have "8 Marines, 1000 zombies" written on the darkness?
  18. Hades

Hades Member

Any chance on the load screen being more transparant on whats actually going on? for some people a long load time (with stops for no apparent reasons) might think their system froze and they drop out of the game. Individual loadbars for example? in private games the load time is usally really fast but 2 minuts of loading isn't uncommon for me to see.
  19. Levenfish

Levenfish New Member

I kinda have to ask. Why does the loading screen have to be purely cosmetic?
    A screenshot of the game with labels on the UI and tips for new players would be far more useful, as well as ensure pubs without any vets can actually get somewhere.
  20. Hymmnos

Hymmnos New Member

On the borders you could add the lore like there is in the comic on the current load screen. Other than the empty space, it's very nice.