Unimplemented IC Rework: Medic

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Kith, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

IC Rework:
    Medic

The Medic is inheriting all of the Lifesaver abilities and is the go-to healer of the NOTD crew. While some other classes may have access to self-sustain or can toss a few heals around, the Medic will always be the best at keeping people in tip-top shape. Also featured by the class are some nice buffs, so healing isn't all they get up to.

STATS
    Class Name:
    Medic
    Class Biography: Medics use advanced technology to restore health and cure ailments.
    Hitpoints: 160
    Hitpoint regen: 0.5
    Shields: 30
    Shield regen: 1
    Energy: 100
    Energy regen: 1
    Movespeed: 2.3
    Weight Class: Medium
    Soundset: Medic
    Default Color: White
    Class Attachment: Medic Hat, Medic Backpack, Medic Syringe

ABILITIES
    Ability Name:
    Weave
    Ability Button Description:
    Restores 20 health per second for 5 seconds.

Weave removes Open Wounds on the target over time.
    Ability Cost: 20 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 8 seconds (on cast)
    Ability Filters: Ground, Air, Biological, Allied
    Ability Range: 6
    Effect:
    See Ability Button Description.
    Visuals:
    DarkBlinkIn.m3 once per second, attached to the center of the target unit.
    Transient: No
    Hotkey: Q

Talent Name: Outpatient
    Talent Description:
    Increases Weave's duration by 20%.
    Effect:
    Increases Weave's duration from 5 to 6.

Talent Name: Gentle Touch
    Talent Description:
    Increases Weave's healing per second by 25%.
    Effect:
    See Description.

Talent Name: Suture
    Talent Description:
    Weave removes Open Wound stacks instantly instead of over time.
    Effect:
    See Description. Additionally, while Weave is active, the target is immune to Open Wounds.

Ability Name: Haste
    Increases the Movement Speed of the target by 20% for 20 seconds.

Haste mends Fractures and on the target over time.
    Ability Cost: 15 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 8 Seconds (on cast)
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Fractures are removed every 2 seconds.
    Visuals:
    Uses the casting animation. The already existing visuals will be sufficient and do not need changing.
    Hotkey: W

Talent Name: Adrenaline
    Talent Description:
    Haste also increases Attack Speed by 20%.
    Effect:
    See Description.

Talent Name: Marathon
    Talent Description:
    Increases Haste's duration by 50%.
    Effect:
    Increases Haste's duration from 20 to 30.

Talent Name: Ready to Run
    Talent Description:
    Reduces Haste's cooldown by 50%.
    Effect:
    Reduces Haste's cooldown from 8 to 4.

Ability Name: Vaccinate
    Makes the target Armored for 10 seconds.

Vaccinate removes Venom stacks over time.
    Ability Cost: 20 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 8 Seconds (on cast)
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Vaccinate removes 3 Venom stacks per second.
    Visuals:
    Uses the casting animation.
    Impact (initial cast): CorruptedMissileImpact.m3 on the target, aligned to their Center attachment.
    Buff: BanelingEggNestBufLife.m3 on the target on Center, 50% size.
    Hotkey: E

Talent Name: Purge
    Talent Description:
    Vaccinate removes all Venom stacks on the target when cast.
    Effect:
    See Description. Does not block application of new Venom casts, but does still remove them over time.

Talent Name: Resistance
    Talent Description:
    Vaccinate also provides 10% Damage Reduction.
    Effect:
    See Description.

Talent Name: Antibodies
    Talent Description:
    Increases Vaccinate's duration by 50%.
    Effect:
    Increases Vaccinate's duration from 10 seconds to 15 seconds.

Ability Name: Healthcare [Passive]
    Allied units near the Medic regenerate an additional 1 health per second.
    Effect:
    See Description. Aura is 5 radius whose range is visible to the Medic player. Does not produce a visible buff on affected units. Reminder to self to make custom radius indicators for it.

Talent Name: Supervision
    Talent Description:
    Any unit that uses a Medkit while under the effect of Healthcare will also remove a random Ailment.
    Effect:
    See Description.

Talent Name: Extended Coverage
    Talent Description:
    Increases Healthcare's effect radius by 60%.
    Effect:
    Increases the radius of Healthcare from 5 to 8.

Talent Name: Without Borders
    Talent Description:
    Increases the range of the Medic's castable abilities by 50%.
    Effect:
    Increases the range of Weave, Haste, and Vaccinate to 9.

ULTIMATES
    Ability Name:
    Heal
    Ability Description:
    Instantly restores 200 health to the target and cleanses all Ailments.

Years of medical training amount to point and click. Money well spent.
    Instantly restores 200 health to the target and cleanses all Ailments.
    Ability Cost: 30 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 50 Seconds
    Ability Range: 9
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Visuals:
    Uses the casting animation.
    Kith note: Effect visuals to be decided.
    Hotkey: G

Ability Name: Protect
    Ability Description:
    Releases a pulse of energy that grants all nearby allied units 100 Shields for 10 seconds.

Behold! The Impregnabubble!
    All allied units within a 6 radius gain 100 additional Shields for 10 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 50 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 40 Seconds (on cast)
    Ability Range: 6 radius, centered on the Medic
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Visuals:
    Being transient, the Medic does not have a specific animation in casting this ability. The already existing visuals will be sufficient and do not need changing.
    Transient: Yes
    Hotkey: G
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Weave should cure all stacks of open wound upon expiration. Or even provide immunity to it for its duration.
  3. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Read Heal again, there's 3 talents packed in there.

Weave is underwhelming imo, only just barely beating out heal in terms of energy to hp recovered ratio, while being on a cooldown, while being an ultimate, and not having AoE. Heal is like the overpowered super-hulk-cousin-mutant compared to weave in most situations, you get exactly what you want from heal, whereas with weave you spend fixed, get fixed, overhealing be damned.

I just woke up. If something's fucky, point it out to me.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Nah. You're Level 8 by the time you get access to Ultimates, and it only takes one (1) Talent Point to pick up Surgical Laser to insta-boop Open Wounds away.

Weave's claim to fame was that it more or less allowed the Medic to be in two places at once, but yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'll reduce its cost and increase its healing.
  5. squish

squish Well-Known Member

It's in a better spot now. I have an idea to make it better. A toggleable thing. Thingy. If an ally is in 2 range, and below half HP, Nano Weave will expire, chain to a nearby ally meeting those criteria, and apply on them autonomously, costing energy to the Medic. Failing that, Nanoweave will simply expire. Also, can we port over the Visual effect for Restoration from NotD1 for the Super Shield, and have it culminating in Defense Matrix aura, colored Blue?

Next thing, Vaccinate will be strong. Like, obscenely strong. Remove ALL venom, AND prevent application of?

And heal beam (Surgical Laser) Mend ALL open wounds, channeled, instantly?

E: For numbers: We'll say 4 energy minimum at level 2 to heal all open wounds. That's borked.

Then 20 energy to make target immune to venom, remove all venom, for up to 30 seconds, and make um tankier while we're at it.

We're at 24 energy to nullify the most dangerous combination of two ailments you can have, in the game, simply because they stack, and removing em all at once, too.

What's that? They're almost dying anyway? Weave um, you're still at 85% energy!

20 HP/sec for 10 sec means they're god mode, not counting healbeam.

Alternatively, shield and laugh boys. Shield and laugh. Oh and healbeam too.

This section was in here before edits: ---v
    Even I don't agree with that much power. Indirect nerf to these abilities is what I'd recommend. Obviously they still have to buff the base abilities in some way, but we've gotta make the talents synergize somehow. I'd say Haste for open wound removal, and Weave for venom removal. Or even the opposite. This entices players to actually use Haste, and gives SOME reason other than turbo heal!!!1! for Weave to be taken. Instantly nullifying the threat of very serious ailments should come at a very serious cost, as well. Something like reduced attack speed or damage while some effects are active, and the chance to worsen some already present afflictions, or be parasitic to stored energy in the suit (shields, energy), to be so powerful.

Done editing!
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Not likely to happen. 200 health to any allied unit that you don't have to babysit is pretty strong.

Haste isn't getting Open Wound removal because it's for Fractures. The primary and secondary uses for the abilities are there for the sake of theming, and "running faster makes you bleed less" makes no sense to me.

I will, however, tune the ailment removal of Surgical Laser, and probably also the energy cost of Heal. I'm leaning towards Surgical Laser simply doubling the amount of Open Wounds that Heal removes, and Heal's Open Wound removal proc costing additional energy.

Edit: Also I bumped up Vaccinate to 25 Energy. Small nerf, I know, but I don't really want to be too heavy-handed with the Medic considering it's NOTD's only healer.
  7. squish

squish Well-Known Member

That's more in line with something less gooby. So, to clarify:

Heal upgraded to remove two open wounds, when it removes them costs 5 energy for 2 with the upgrade? Or 10?

What of the Nano Shield thing I suggested? NotD1 resto visual with blue defense matirx?

Related Questions:

Does hotkey S mean Hold Position like in NotD1? Or will it count as stop? If it's stop, then don't need hotkey for cancel cast, and it's more stuff to break later, ala NotD1 Recon escape right now.

Overall: I feel the medic is in a much less "Team is invincible now, lol" stage. It will likely take a bit of in-game testing rather than making guesses in a vacuum as to how it plays out. I foresee energy concerns being a valid issue in the future, but I suppose that's a good thing, as we can tune it later.

Pedantic fuckery: I wasn't meaning "running faster makes you bleed less" I was meaning the whole body's process is sped up, so I'd assume that includes healing effects applied. E.G: Healbeam say like.. 5HP a sec to be round and neat. Haste could bump that up to 6, as the body is better able to take advantage of the regeneration provided, due to an accelerated metabolism. Weave could go up to.. 22.5HP/sec, etc.

Done editing.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Upgrade just increases the Open Wounds removed, not the cost.

Nanoshield/Protect currently has a visual which I'm not interested in changing.

IIRC it's Stop and Hold Position rolled into the same button. Either way, the cancel toggle is there just in case.

Keep in mind that the Medic has 1.25 Energy Regeneration as opposed to everyone else's 1, so she'll have an easier time of dealing with energy management.

Introduces too many variables and too much complexity. Keeping things simple is a lot easier to keep a lid on, both in terms of coding and balancing.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

UPDATES
    • Healbeam was replaced with Weave. Healbeam ultimately needs too much tweaking to make work for NOTD 2. If this was Heroes of the Storm and the Medic was Lt Morales who has special animation bones for this sort of thing, it'd be a different story. But it's not, so it isn't.
    • Haste's duration was reduced from 60 to 20. Ability was right - a full minute is way too long.
    • Vaccinate was adjusted to fit the new Armored system.
    • Improved Generator was replaced with Healthcare. It's a health regeneration aura that all players can get while near the Medic. Think of it as a passive Healbeam that's spread out between all nearby allies.
    • Weave (the Ultimate) was replaced with Heal (not the beam). It's an instant 200 health and full Ailment cleanse.
    • Protect is still Protect.