How to increase NOTD's hours played and get it on Page 1

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Lightning, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Lightning
    • Donator

Lightning Member

we can leave our computer on, make a notd , pub it, start it alone and then go to sleep
    average peopel sleep 8 hours
    100 people x 8 = 800 hours
    You: 800 X 7 = 5600 hours per week
    You: if we do that by next month we will have , 5600 x 4 = 22400 hours added in total notd pushing it up one rank on page 2
    nods this will make this map go on page 1
    in about 8-9 months
  2. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

RE: increase notd and put in page 1

And take away from all the work the mapmakers that are currently on the front page? NOTD will reach the front page when the community opens itself to new players and increases the playerbase. Not by underhanded tricks. Is it not enough that NOTD is one of the few maps to MAINTAIN it's position in the first few pages?
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

The problem is because unlike most custom games. NOTD is largely through private/organized matches. For whatever reason, these do not factor into the overall hours played. Opening them up to public before hand does do so. So where a game like Hero Attack gets its hours from very rapidly filling public lobbys, NOTD gets most of its hours from private lobbys. Many of these do not become public games before starting, and therefore their hours played are not recorded.
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yeah, about the only map as stable on the page listing is StarBattle.
  5. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Or the monotonous special forces map.. Very much.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I do believe that some other custom maps must be employing underhand tactics because you suddenly see a map appearing out of nowhere (page 5+ or nowhere) on page 1 the next day.
    Or maybe I'm missing something about how the popularity works.

Like say that Frontline EU map was never anywhere and one day you wake up its on page 1 with tens of thousands of hours played.
    2 weeks later it dropped off again.
    Not the only map which had that, though others have remained on page 1.
  7. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Pfft, lol.

1. Some people actually use the popularity system to gauge what is... well, popular, and assume it's "good" and therefore play it. In this regard, if it worked, it'd have merit.

However 2. The popularity system has been broken since the release of the game.

Therefore 3. Getting a game on the first page is no different from advertising. You can no more gauge the actual "popularity" of a game with the system than you can just by guessing on its name and game type. And well, to claim that advertising is unnecessary for any product is just stupid.

In conclusion, since the popularity system is a fucking joke and has absolutely zero integrity as an actual "tool", I see nothing unscrupulous with capitalizing on the obvious faults Blizzard has stubbornly kept in their system.

At least there aren't five NOTD games on the front fucking page for three months.

More over it's a myth that the community is responsible for getting people to stay, but that's beside the point completely. We're trying to get people to come first.
  8. fox

fox New Member

No thanks that sounds like a waste of electricity:

100 people x 8 = 800 hours. Assuming 100W computer that is
    100W x 800 hr = 80000 Whr = 80 kWhr

800 X 7 = 5600 hours per week (560 kWhr)

5600 x 4 = 22400 hours (2240 kWhr) per month

You're doing the opposite of the Earth Hour or City Switch...
  9. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Also doesn't the game kick you out for inactivity?

Both BNet and NOTD itself do this, I'm pretty sure.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I wouldn't count Special Ops. Because they're on the 9th or so different "Special Ops" map now. Every time the map falls off the first page them come out with a completely new one that somehow jumps up to the first page.
  11. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I have a feeling that the popularity system is based upon the ratio of the time that the map has been played to the time it existed, so new maps can get to the front page easily if they're played while they're new.

But I think that too much popularity is not actually a good thing, we don't want a bunch of new people who have no idea how to play, fail their first game because no one does, and never play again.
  12. Mirage
    • Donator

Having little to no new players that stick around will only detrimentally affect the map Nicarco, in that it'll eventually keep descending down the page list and onto the next.
  13. poor_newb

poor_newb Member

The way notd structures its game modes is just not pub friendly, the vast majority of pub games are ec company recruit mode, they can only play it so many times before they get bored. With the way things are now, it's just too hard for pub level players to find games anywhere higher, so they move on to something else.

Something needs to be done about this, it's really sad to see a map made with this much effort not getting the exposure it deserves.
  14. SirGalahad

SirGalahad New Member

^this.

when i used to only pub, i probably played <10 ec vets and <5 alphas. it was because of this that i stopped regularly playing notd after i hit 10k. it was only after i started hosting my own games on the notd channel that my interest was revived (no, i don't want to start a debate about high xp pubbers, or elitist channel players, etc).

personally, i think the requirement that ALL players be above a certain xp level to unlock a game mode is far too strict. this actually promotes the division between vets and newbies because only people who have played well-organized games will be familiar with the different storylines.

instead, the unlock requirement should be based either on average squad xp (80k players will mess this up) or on squad rating.
    a 1600 rating for alpha should be no problem for any non-retarded player, and will still take super newbies at least a bunch of games to attain. it will also still allow new players to encounter a brand new storyline provided they are in a pub with vets. a 1700 rating for apollo, again, should be easy, but will still make it something to work towards.

the challenge shouldn't be in unlocking the story modes, but completing them. as it stands, given that the average pub player these days (even with increased xp rewards) seems to average around 35 xp per game, it will likely take about 100 games to simply unlock apollo.

some people will argue that players need those 100+ games in order to become better players. this is true. but must those 100 games all come from ec recruit? if a player has never even seen a slasher or a titan before, what are they chances that they will know how to deal with one? even if a player has mastered the basics, encountering a brand new situation will still throw them a curve (see deaths during gas sequence on alpha for examples). not every player (i would argue only a small minority) have the patience or the drive to read the wiki and the forums in order to learn.

anyways, excuse the wall of text. my point is that the way the game is structured only prevents newbies from seeing all that the game has to offer, and that is a shame.
  15. Mirage
    • Donator

Galahad, I went ahead and read it all, and despite the fact you felt like excluding the issue of elitist players it still factors into your overall point of "way the game is structured only prevents newbies from seeing all that the game has to offer, and that is a shame." with most of their attitudes towards new players, which is one of the things that isn't as easy to deal with as compared to changing the requirements for the games.
  16. SirGalahad

SirGalahad New Member

i think you may have missed that i mentioned wanting to avoid the topic of elitist channel players.

regardless, the suggestion to reduce the requirements for each campaign will in fact reduce the division between old and new players. this is because pure pubbers, who are not yet dedicated enough to the map to work to find/host organized games, will still be able to experience the other storylines. even if they fail (and they will fail without any guidance), they will not be as shellshocked when they enter organized games compared to if they had only experienced ec recruit/hardened. a pub should represent a lower-pressure, more anonymous environment in which it is okay to experiment, whether with new classes or new tactics. it should not be a last resort for bored vets nor a breeding ground for divisive squabbles between old and new.

reducing the requirements to unlock the campaigns will also grow the community by showcasing more of what notd has to offer. when i first started playing apollo, i was thrilled at the idea of being able to control a thor, even though i later found out that you basically put it on a ledge and hold position. as the community grows, inevitably more private games will be organized and more people will learn the intricacies of the map.

currently, there are two major ways in which discrimination against newer players occurs. in-game, where vets scream at new players who don't know what they're doing, and in-channel, where new players are not invited to organized games. expanding the total pool of players will bypass (though not solve) both of these issues simply by increasing the overall experience level (not game xp) of the average player and increasing the number of organized games. Yes, there will be games where nobody knows what to do. But, as evidenced by the huge swell of survival games that appear nightly in the channel, there are a growing number of newer players who are more than happy to figure out the game on their own. and when a game full of relative newbies does manage to snag an experienced vet, it becomes that much more efficient when the vet leads the team. i've experienced this from both sides.

it is impossible to eliminate discrimination. however, opening up the game to the masses will mitigate its effects.
  17. Mirage
    • Donator

I think the issue with putting the limits too low on the ahead campaigns and characters would raise the issue of people who aren't good enough for the higher modes, I think a better idea would be to release a limited, but faster-paced version of the map as a seperate game entirely (EC regular/nm only?) for people to get a hold of the game with increased xp for only that, without any sort of backward compat.
  18. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

the reason the xp cap is there is because there is a marked step up in difficulty between alpha/apollo and EC. if you think you were lost when you started EC, prepare to get decimated by alpha within 20 minutes.
  19. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Also, trying to get newbies into organized games doesn't work. I have in the past attempted to host game specifically to teach new players how to play harder difficulties, but they do not want to join. I find it very difficult to teach people who do not want to be taught.
  20. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

lol i've never really tried organizing one of those games. but judging by the amount of rage i get when trying to teach ppl in most pubs, i can imagine...