How to fix frequent crashing for notd.

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Thirteen, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Thirteen

Thirteen New Member

^.... other games dont seem do crash me at all. notd does it the most and i know i might crash when my game is starting to lag. any suggestions?
  2. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

Don't walk under a ladder, step on a crack, throw salt over your shoulder, or stare at a black cat.
  3. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

Get a better Graphics Card.
  4. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Properly install SCII instead of playing it off a damn copy pasted version, 13.
  5. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

You can try defragmenting your hard drive if it's like what Yuey said...
  6. Gattu

Gattu Well-Known Member

To reduce the lag i suggest cleaning the dust out your your computer and also apply thermal paste to your CPU but be careful on the thermal paste
  7. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

Not always the case but using the Unit Preloader usually gets rid of all lag for the game for me.
  8. Blaze

Blaze New Member

game booster's amd unit preloader eliminate all lag from me but cant save me from others lag
  9. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

NotD, because it is one of the more complex custom maps in SC2, can cause crashing for a variety of reasons.

1) Do you have enough RAM? NotD uses a large amount of code/assets, to the point that it pushes SC2 2 Gig limit. You can get around that, but if your machine is not running at least 4 gigs, performance will suffer.

2) Unit Preloader can address lag/crashes when your machines get overwhelmed from new units/textures being streamed in.

3) There may be bugs in the code, I have had some crashes/lockups in Apollo Sec, possibly from texture related issues, not sure.

4) You will need a fairly powerful GPU (Any mid range card from the last 3 years should suffice), because of the sheer units/textures/animation that goes on in NotD, with some scenes having more then a sane number of units on screen and on the map.
  10. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

I run with this setup and have never had a crash. Sure, bnet will be a fool and drop me on the rare occasion, but I do not crash.

i5 2500k
    8GB DDR3
    2x 6950 in crossfire
    500GB SSD
    Windows 7
  11. Thirteen

Thirteen New Member

lol with that setup kenno i think you can play everyting on ultra. ill get 1 of those or better soon xD and thanks for all the feedback.
  12. Froblock

Froblock Well-Known Member

Werd.. Kenno's rig is BIG DICK.
    But yea, everyone's pretty on-point here.

Defrag your harddrive and registry, you can download those said programs (i don't use any myself),
    But most likely you will need a stronger graphics card with enough RAM to operate SC2.
    You do not want to be playing NOTD when you are operating at or near 100% RAM usage IE 7gb out of 8gb being used. 7/8gb RAM usage is where i start lagging.
    And if applicable, you might need to upgrade your motherboard to accompany the video card or RAM if it is too old.

If your PC started recently crashing out of nowhere, remember to re-apply thermal paste every 1-2 years on the CPU
    and also clean out the dust from your PC which can cause parts to overheat.
    Also check for viruses and spyware. Malwarebytes for spyware :3
  13. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

amd triple core
    4 GB
    128 GB ssd

I play on 2560x1440. Rarely crash. I get "out of memory" popups if I run SC2 and 2 other big programs. Windows takes 1 GB, notd takes 2 GB, which only leaves me with ~500 MB before I start getting messages.