How much do You see a Mobility Recon?

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Akuma, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Akuma

Akuma New Member

Rarely.. and it seems like most notd players hate it and think it is pretty useless and whats the point of bein a mob rec? So I wanted to ask YOu all what u think about it?
    My Opinion: the MOb Rec is veeeeeeeeeeery underrated and the least used class ever.. Just because the Supply Station rec is more needed.. Its like the team is depended on the rec for SS so in every mode the Rec has to be the SS Rec...
  2. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Mob Recon is one of the classes most heavily relied upon for Clan UniT. No matter what story line we've always had a Mob Recon. It is esential to any good team.
  3. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

It all depends on a persons preference and how they see the recon. Me personally, i like the mobcon, hes fast, he can search for items safer then the most of the team, and his escape can be a life saver. Sure Escape is his only team support skill but the mobcon is handier for searching, triggering and kiting. His lack of dps can be made up in the fact that he can cloak and utulize backstab much easier and safer then survcon. Again just my opinion and depends on ones preference.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Mobcons are capable of running for items once they hit Tier 2. Survcons are indeed useful, but if you want to go fast, you can't beat having your scout being able to run out and away from your team rather than just utilizing flares to increase sight range. If you want to play hard and fast, you want a Mobcon. If you want to play conservatively, you want a Survcon.
  5. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Thats because of the fundamental gameplay of NOTD.

For the most part, the general route taken provides more then enough scouting to obtain any important items. And for the most part, many items aren't mission critical. You don't <need> item X to win the game. It makes it easier, but for the most part, your team has the majority of the items it requires to win over the course of a game. You don't really conserve much time anyways by having a Recon doing it solo by himself.

What is the point of a scouting class when you already scout most of the map? Huggers are already there to discourage solo playing, which would be the primary focus of what a Mob Recon does, and only being able to start scouting at a certain level (which is true for both of them) almost defeats their purpose, as you want to find them as quickly as possible. While Mob Recon will be able to get out in the fields earlier, he does so at his own risk. The Survcon faces almost no risk in scouting, as he hasn't a need to worry about getting killed because he uses the reaper.

The only truly useful skills are counter-measures and Escape, both of which hardly contribute in boss fights. And lastly, what do you do after all the items are found? Both recon's can find items, but which would continue to serve a purpose afterwards? All of the Survcon's skills are useful at any point of time and can contribute to the team's awareness of enemies through flare, LD, and motion detector, recharge the team through Supply Station, and assist a person about to get hurt with the reaper, while, the Mob Recon can only really use Counter-measures (which is useless against bosses) and escape (also useless vs bosses).

The simple problem is, while Mob Recon does have a purpose, that purpose isn't present through-out the entire game. Energy needs will always occur, DPS will always be wanted, but after a certain point in time, all the items are gone, so there just isn't a need for someone skilled at fetching items. To top it all off, multiple events usually require the entire team, or just can't be done by one person. Apollo A isn't as it used to be; 2 Mob Recon's won't solo the entire game for you.
  6. Shooz
    • Donator

Mob is better >:p
  7. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

How the team composition is built is a MAJOR element in which recon a team would have. In addition to scouting, the mobcon is superior towards gaining dsm over surv recon, and its escape ability makes attaining LoM significantly easier. I generally prefer surv con in games that I host, but those games do not stress getting LoM, and is built around spamming skills. Mob recon is very good at what it does, and choosing to have one is each individual's host's decision.

Hybrid recon is also quite useful
  8. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

I'm mobcon all day girl
  9. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

Survcon and mobcon both have same level of usefulness. Well, at least to me.
  10. Shooz
    • Donator

HERETICS! MOB RECON IS THE ONLY RECON!
  11. Akuma

Akuma New Member

There is a Clan called Clan Unit???
  12. Shooz
    • Donator

No there is a Clan called UniT. Stay on topic... you posted it..
  13. Akuma

Akuma New Member

I dunno why but I just hate goin Hybrid Recon.. or generally goin hybrid at all..
  14. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

An outdated view.

Play ArcanePariah's EC NM Speed MoH runs, or Archangel's Alpha NM Speed MoH runs, and Pyromaniac's Apollo NM Speed MoH. Surv > Mob in those and their success rates are inordinately high.

Also note that each of the guys mentioned are members of UniT.
  15. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

In the old NA style of UniT's senior members, mobcon was used exclusively in EC. However, in apollo we haven't used mobcon since the arrival of the technician and I don't remember ever choosing mob over surv in alpha. Even Diode went surv in alpha and apollo.
  16. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

you forgot to add the part where I exped the apollo
  17. Lyanden

That's a given since AP's EC and Archangel's alpha are also exped.
    JOO NOT SO SPESYUL! keke
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Mob con is a powerful class in his own right and all the above advantages (Scouting, Escape, Countermeasures) are useful. The issue with him lies in how people play. Simply put, he is a defensive tactical unit. Most of his abilities team wise are used defensively. However if you do my style of EC NM, I play strategically defensive, so I never need any reactionary defensive mechanism like traps or escape. Also as mentioned, both abilites are worthless against all bosses. In fact, certain aspects of stories (like Apollo) were abused heavilty by mob cons, so specific measures were added to defeat them (Agrons added in many places, All bosses given detection). Also noted above, although mob con is an excellent scout, most game routes today already search the map that can be searched, and most heavy weapons are not NEEDED, just nice to have. The other issue is his scouting is inferior to survcon simply because he can not access Apollo or Airlock early, which Reaper drone can.

Another reason SS con is favored today, is that in ages past, most teams focused on close quarters combat, emphasizing flamer/shotgun use. Nowadays, it usually is favored to use long range weapons when possible, and just have SS con flare for long range. This is mostly because long weapons have steadily been buffed. SMG in its original form was worthless. M5 was misunderstood, and Barret didn't exist. Now all those weapons perform, and perform well, and most are long range. Flamer is still an effective weapon, without a doubt, just the need for it is no longer as pressing (Ammo used to be bugged, magazines disappeared all the time, this was fixed, now we have the other extreme today, bugged ammo that is infinite :p)
  19. Lyanden

Well said.
    Old days were ones where looking your enemy in the eye before killing them was seen as manly

These days it's all about decimating a horde before they even see you.

Honor has gone out the window. Say hello to push-button-warfare
  20. Shooz
    • Donator

I feel like that old coot on the porch rocking chair hollering at kids to get off my lawn or i'll get my flamethrower out and show them what's what.

:[