How long do you see yourself playing StarCraft II?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ability, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Just a general poll. This is to get a sense on whether people will stay on for the next 2 expansions. If you're unsure, just use a best estimate based on how you currently feel about the game. I personally picked 3-4 years which will be in line with about 12 months after launch of Legacy of the Void (unless NOTD somehow because a wild success).
  2. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Pretty much for a VERY long time, given the utterly infinite replay value of the long list of custom maps. Things like Star Battle are fun and mindless, and things like NotD are so complicated as to be almost standalone games. Back in Warcraft 3, many people bought it to play... DotA and not much else (me included). With the upgrades the editor is getting in 1.5, sky is pretty much the limit for games. Coupled with effectively infinite art assets via mod dependencies, and just the sheer amount of customization possible, SC2 going to be played for a long long time.
  3. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

[align=center][​IMG][/align]
  4. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Hmm, how many years? 100

M.Edit: Till the flesh rots away from my body and I am forced to go on on will alone. Which is most certainly the +5 year option. :p
  5. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

If the prices for sc2 are not insanely high 5+ years
    The following is "A life story" (LOL)
    Show Spoiler

I'll most likely buy them all and play them. Considering I'm one of the few who didn't buy Diablo 3, that money I saved will be used for sc expansions
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I still play Warcraft III customs and melee. Granted, Warcraft III melee has heroes, so I'm much more familiar and comfortable with playing it rather than SCII melee. I'm the sort of person who dumps all of my resources into a single powerful unit and then goes ransacking, and SCII doesn't exactly have that.

It does have a metric ton of custom games, however, so it's not like I'm going to run out of stuff to do.
  7. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Custom games in sc2 and wc3 are my lifeblood, I'll be playing sc2 until wc4 or sc3 comes out.
  8. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

As long as Kithrixx and Clan UniT are around I'll be around.
  9. Emperor

Emperor New Member

At least two years after Legacy of the Void comes out.
  10. Inquisitor

Inquisitor New Member

I get bored of games very quickly, coupled with work/life/other obligations.
    Though as for the expansions? Yes I will get them and play them as well as the maps/mods created for them.

How long in years? I don't know. Probably up to half a year after each expansion at the most.
  11. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

I'm too much of a cheap ass to play much else. Except Pokemon. Gotta catch all of those mofos
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

^ This.
  13. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

[​IMG]
  14. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Noah never caught the water types though.
  15. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

I'm with a few other people here, I got Warcraft 3 just to play Dota and several custom maps (Castle Fight, Vamp Fire and etc.) and it lasted me quite a while. I can see myself staying for 5+ years in SC2 if the customs continue to be good and I don't get waylaid by other games. On the other hand, Dota2, which might mean that I will stay on SC2 for less than a year. So yeah, it depends.
  16. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

If SC1 was any indicator, a long time.

But StarCraft 1 had many fun custom maps. StarCraft 2 doesn't have enough fun maps. It doesn't matter if there is just one fun map, it'll get too repetitive for a while, forcing a brief hiatus or pause. If StarCraft 2 can get a few more custom maps that I can entertain playing, then I'll be here for a while, so long as there is a new fun custom map that can live a while ever once in a while.
  17. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

When i started playing sc1 i was mostly a melee player with the occasional rpg games. When i purchased sc2 i came into it with that dame mind set. When i tried out notd, i havent played any other game for months except 2 melee games with a buddy that dragged me in. Ill be on sc2 as long as notd is or until i finish my own custom map.
    [hr]
    Dame=same, dam fat fingers
  18. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

Dude there are pently of awesome and fun custom maps out there. You just have to know how to find them.
  19. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I've had fun playing a few, but none really catch my interest. Fatty Wars though... That was interesting, but too lolzy / trollful. Its something I think would be much more entertaining (not that it isn't fun as hell) if you weren't in a straight state of mind.
  20. isidrosan

isidrosan New Member

Pretty much for a VERY long time.