How does xp-sharing work

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blue-Tiger, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger New Member

Hi there!

I often get told to "ball up to share xp". But I can't find anything relevant on it on the wiki/forum. How exactly does the sharing work?
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Well, the best way to describe it is an example.

Hypothetical Situation.
    Lets say everyone is spread apart, like 6~9 range away from eachother. There are 8 enemies, and they each reward 100 exp. Each player kills one. Each player gets 100 exp.

Now lets say every one is together, like .1 ~1.5 range apart max. The same 8 enemies come, and they all reward 100 exp. Lets say each player kills 1. Each player gets 100 exp, + around 10~50?% additional EXP from their allies killing it.

Overall, when you are balled up, a portion of the EXP is gained just by being near a person who killed an enemy. Recon and Medic get 2x as much "shared exp". It gives an overall increased amount of EXP compared to people being far apart.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

What happens is if you are standing within a certain radius (4 or 5 I believe) of a Marine who gets a kill, you character gets some "Squad XP" or "Shared XP" if you will. Some classes, the Medic and the Recon, get a larger amount of Shared XP/Squad XP than other characters. I think it's something like 10% of the kill's value is what you get, but Recons and Medics get 30% or something. I could be wrong on the specific numbers.

The reason people tell you to ball up is that way, no matter who got the kill shot on an enemy unit, every member of the squad gets some XP and level progress for the kill. This means that if you ball up that your team, as a whole, will get to higher levels faster.

Compared to if you don't ball up and go off to solo a wave. You yourself will level faster because you are getting ALL the kills, and full XP for those kills rather than losing out on the body count and getting shared XP for the kill instead. But the downside is that your team gets no XP for it and will be underleveled.

Note that the Kill XP you get is always the same (Or so it seems), regardless of if you are Sharing with your squad or not. So it's not like you lose out on your kills if an ally is standing next to you.
  4. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Hypothetically Speaking, if we are given a scenario where

1 Zombie = 100 exp

Exp Sharing = 10% of Exp

Situation A.
    8 Marines, not beside each other.
    Each marine kills 1 Zombie =

Marine 1. 100 raw exp + 0 shared exp
    Marine 2. 100 raw exp + 0 shared exp
    Marine 3. 100 raw exp + 0 shared exp
    Marine 4. 100 raw exp + 0 shared exp
    Marine 5. 100 raw exp + 0 shared exp
    Marine 6. 100 raw exp + 0 shared exp
    Marine 7. 100 raw exp + 0 shared exp
    Marine 8. 100 raw exp + 0 shared exp

Total Team Exp gained from the 8 zombies = 800 exp + 0 shared exp

Situation B.
    8 Marines kill 1 Zombie each while all Marines are beside each other.

Marine 1. 100 raw exp + 10 shared exp to marine 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
    = 100 raw exp + 70 shared exp

Marine 2. 100 raw exp + 10 shared exp to marine 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8

Marine 3. 100 raw exp + 10 shared exp to marine 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8

Marine 4. 100 raw exp + 10 shared exp to marine 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8

Marine 5. 100 raw exp + 10 shared exp to marine 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8

Marine 6. 100 raw exp + 10 shared exp to marine 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8

Marine 7. 100 raw exp + 10 shared exp to marine 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8

Marine 8. 100 raw exp + 10 shared exp to marine 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Total Team Exp gained from the 8 zombies = 800 raw + 560 shared exp

Now factor in that there are more than 8 zombies that come your way at the mining base/mining camp alone. :D

Go forth and hug thy teammates while thou blasteth the undead back to death and be bountiful in levels!
  5. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

There are a lot of benefits with hugging teammates. Shared xp, concentrated firepower, ease of application of buffs and healing skills, auras etc. Ramboing/soloing is just denying yourself of these benefits and making life unnecessarily harder for yourself.
  6. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

7. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

troll.

/carebear stare
  8. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I keep telling my team to stay together but there's always people who think that sharing xp means they get less per kill so they usually stand far and try to get as many kills as possible.
    And then you end up with scenarios where you have to tell them to hold fire while others get some kills in.
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Only real situation where someone should go off and be Super Joe (Ha ha! Bionic Commando reference!), is when someone is dangerously underleveled and needs to be getting kill XP. Example: "Oh shit, we're on the domes and Prot Assault still has two levels til Safeguard! Quick, give him Power Weapon X and let him just rip apart the domes!"
  10. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

It is usually the tank that is underlevelled, even as demo.

Don't you love the rifleman spamming grenades when the team can easily handle the incoming hordes so he can get his bloodlust and then some? Or the Engineer ODing everything so he can get battery without regard that others are still level 5 and 6?
  11. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Always. Not saying Grenades are bad. Great for softening up Bullet Proof Zombies, Stalkers, etc, or cleaning out the Gargoyles in the airlock hordes because too few actually focus on them. Nothing sad as seeing a team wipe on the airlock because no one shot the Gargoyles.
  12. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

13. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

People should stop calling it EXP SHARING since you don't actually share what you get but gain a bonus from having others kill beside you.

Quick guys, huddle up for the EXP BONUS!

Sounds much more attractive (greedwise)
  14. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger New Member

Thanks for all the explanations :)

(Also sorry to Ghost for all the instances where I was the offending rifleman 'nading down hoardes ;) )
  15. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Fair point I guess
  16. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

I finally got around to bugging Ability about the specifics. I'm too busy to bust open the map and find the extreme details, such as radius, percentages, ect ect ect.
  17. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

The shared bonus btw is closer to 0.25-1.25 per teammate kill, no more it seems, even for bigger stuff.