HotS Beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ghost, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Just got my invite - first Blizzard beta invite ever too.

Seems that its all on the NA server though rather than split. By region?
  2. Unwashed Otaku

Unwashed Otaku New Member

Congrats! Let us know how it goes?
  3. Eagle 11

Eagle 11 Well-Known Member

Holy fuck,man. Gz :D
    And yeah,afaik its limited to the silly place called NA*
    Tbh i didnt even follow the news,last time i checked Blizz was willing to take Goliath Mk2 (aka Warhound) out of Terran (Oh it renders Zerg up instead Terran,we must take out asap!11!

*jk
  4. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Nice Ghost.

The latest changes balance wise that I'm aware of was the removal of the Warhound, apparently it served as nothing more then a mech version of a maruader, didn't really add any change to Terran Strategy. They tweaked Oracle and Tempest a bit, and add Carrier back in.

Outside the game they have done an even more progressive GUI rework. They have also introduced leveling, such that winning matches gets you XP and this unlocks cosmetic effects (decals/portraits).

More on these:

HotS GUI Update

Hots Preview of Leveling
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

A few very basic screens of new features I really like.

Outside of these, the changes compared to basic SC2 I have noticed are:
    Terrans gain Hellbat which is a shot range (2) alternate form of the Hellion. You can build both separately but an upgrade unlocks the transformation, think Viking. Seems pretty underwhelming stats-wise. 2 extra dmg vs non light, same vs light. Slow attack, tiny range. Might as well keep as Hellion.
    Terrans also gain Widow Mine which is a 75/50 unit that burrows and has no attack at all. Fastish and once burrowed will fire missile at any unit including cloaked dealing 160 main, 40 splash every 40 seconds. Yes, 40 seconds. DPS that would be 4+splash, which is tiny but considering that you can burrow them in enemy mineral line or use to kill an enemy ball of units quickly in a choke, that's amazing. Too bad you can't control what it shoots at.

Toss gain the long range siege flyer (Tempest) which deals 25 at range 15+35 vs massive with expensive upgrade. Slow attack speed, about as durable as a void ray and reasonably fast. A bit like long range faster broodlord without the spawned lings.
    Other units are Oracle (female!) which looks a bit like a merge between Banshee and Zeratul portrait-wise. No attack but has a leech spell that lasts indefinitely whereby you can spell-damage a building for 3 while gaining 3 minerals per game second while active. Pretty hot considering you could replace probes with that almost. Very cheap to make too. It can also disable entire mineral fields for 60 secs (130hp shields) and make enemy units and buildings in a large area grant you vision.
    Lastly, Toss have the Mothership Core (very cheap and fast to build) which is built at the Nexus and is upgradable to the full Mothership. Does nice damage, about 1.5x that of rine and can cast a spell on Nexus that gives it a long range attack for 60 secs + detector. Anti-banshee I guess and also vs swarm hosts maybe. It also has recall but is limited to recalling to Nexus buildings.

For Zerg, there's Swarm Host and Viper as new units. Swarm hosts are 120hp units that cost 200/100 and can burrow. Spawn 2 Locusts every 25 seconds for 15 (upgradable to 25) seconds. Locusts are more durable than Broodlings and have a ranged attack of 12 or 13 at range 3 which is very fast. I imagine that can kill any base or army fairly quick since it costs nothing to make those and its continuous production.
    Viper is a meh (and expensive) air unit available from larvae once Hive is made. No attack but has 3 spells. Consume (eats 200 own building HP for 50ish energy), Abduct (a long range spell that pulls target unit to the Viper) and Blinding loud that is a small AoE spell which turns all ranged units in area to melee units. Felt pretty useless outside of maybe dragging high value units or using for base rush where you pull your units past enemy defenses.

Other than that, everything is exactly the same as in vanilla SC2. Other units don't have any new abilities or changes I have noticed.

[edit]
    Zerg do have another addition: Hydralisk upgrade where your Hydras move 50% faster while not on creep
  6. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

Fastisch? As Window Mine move faster than Marine?

*after seeing detail about Oracle*
    *display Yao Ming rageface* Well, guess I'll just drop if going against toss.

About Warhound, will it be in Editor?
  7. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Found this tidbit interesting:

8. ForeRunner

ForeRunner Well-Known Member

when you are next poking the beta can you check to see if the take over replay function works in custom as well or just melee only
  9. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

All cut units are sitll present in HOTS Editor Beta, including unit stats, models, voices and portraits. not sure if this includes Replicant though.
  10. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Hnnngh

Downloading beta nao
  11. Savior

Savior New Member

<-- Sea Player with beta invite. Excited. but yeh only NA server availible.....

Leveling system seems ok, aslong as the campaign lvling grants decent rewards.
  12. ForeRunner

ForeRunner Well-Known Member

far as I know there is only one collective leveling system (which includes almost everything non custom)
  13. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

System meant for Ladder everything arcade side just going to be the same.