Hits Calculation and Shields

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

0 hits isn't something you should be striving to achieve in a class that is meant to get hit (like the pathfinder, commando, all tanks, and even chem)
  2. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

I understand, Jake claim he can do it. And what I'm saying with PF taking hits (under new system) will screw over hit count and ultimately rating. I just want him to prove his point.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

... Uh, maybe you and I are playing different games, but the Commando is not necessarily supposed to take hits.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Since when was commando meant to be hit?

Jumper path was designed to be able to mitigate the risks of his jumps, through shield armor, evasion, and invulnerability.

As far as tanks go, while they are made to be able to withstand hits, their sole purpose isn't to tank every enemy in existence. Each one was designed to be able to mitigate the effects of the damage they receive, to prevent that damage from going towards classes that have no way to mitigate the effects of damage.

If they can accomplish that without getting hit, that is even better for them, and the team.
  5. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

any commando worth his salt is going to be up close and personal with a flamethrower half the game and is going to be getting bumped into from time to time.

I don't see any reason for any other class to take hits, except maybe medic, but that's just silly of the medic.
  6. vexxenon

Hell, no one should be taking any hits under new shield hit system, if they are pro enough. I've yet to see anyone prove otherwise, Kith, I'm still waiting for your assault ac nm 0 hits.
  7. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

So any commando who is good purposely endangers himself in order to gain the benefit of flamethrower damage? In that instance, you getting hit is the result of you deciding to use a close-range weapon.

Yes, I can understand the fact that flamethrower anally devastates nearly any ground unit is a good reason to use it, but it is the largest risk vs reward weapon there is. Going with a lower risk weapon will give you less damage and less risk, so less hits.

I guess I can understand commando getting hit a bit, but hopefully the tank is taunting if you're flaming (though assault tank taunt blows for that). I wouldn't say that commando's design is to get hit though. I'd say him getting hit is because of a choice to take a higher risk (getting hit) and get a higher reward (DPS).

Him being glassy is part of that IMO.

IIRC, the shield system got reverted to be revised, because (as you mentioned) it was implemented much earlier than expected.
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

You mean the one I can't show you because Replays are broken and I use a Macintosh keyboard so I can't printscreen? You're gonna have to take my word on it, and if my word isn't good enough, I'm pretty sure you can ask anyone I've played with.
  9. vexxenon

Sure, it must be under the new shield hit system right? I also got 0 hit as PF, but my print screen key magically disappeared, so you're going to take my word for it.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

[​IMG]

No, really. I don't have a printscreen key because it's a Mac keyboard. I don't mind if you don't believe me but what bothers me is that you're acting like a fucking child. If you continue to act like a child, I will start treating you like a child and put you in time out until such time that you stop acting like a child. I don't know what the fuck your issue is with me being somewhat decent at a game that I work on for a living, but you need to either deal with it or get over it because I am already tired of your attitude.

That said, the 0 hit Assault AC NM game was mostly luck due to Perses, but everything else was strong team cohesion and knowing what to focus fire (Gargoyles, for instance). Was I the only one with zero hits? Yes. That's because I remained with the team for 80% of the game, and had no reason to displace myself from the death ball. The rest of the team (Orderthrower excluded) had from 5 to 15 from various nicks and bruises, but it was by no means excessive.

Of course, the rating system is being redone anyways so it's a moot point. 0 hit games will be much rarer and much more difficult to do, but they will be rewarded substantially and taking hits will not be penalized nearly as much as they are now.
  11. vexxenon

All the previous request was to ask for the 0 hits, you said you've played with team mates, of which I don't know who they are. Asking them to vouch for you would satisfy my curiosity. If the replay wasn't broken, it'll definitely be a nice thing to watch and learn from.

I've asked Lyanden in game and he said he heard it over mumble. Which is good enough.

As for print screen key, lol, those macs keyboards, I hope it have a pause key.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I would absolutely tell you who they were if I remembered/had access to that information. I've been busy doing a ton of other stuff, so I'm sorry I cannot give you ~conclusive evidence~.

They don't. I've got Function, Home, Page up/down, Delete, and End.
  13. vexxenon

That's fine, I heard it from Lyandon, that's all I need. Regardless, you have more credibility than Jake, so I'll still have to ask him to prove his point.
  14. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

That's cause mac os x to take a screen = command + 3/4 or command +shift +4. The screen shot is much better.
    But when attaching to windows one of the F keys replaces printscreen.
    Also you can set up on windows. But who can be bothered to do that :p

Also mando flamer is only effective at 1-3range.
    You'd have to have a taunter.
    However the most effective weapons are: flamer, p45, sg, m5, bar and sting.
    You don't exactly need to go close. But when u do sg/flamer rapes zombies before they hit.
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Correct. That's why tanks are so popular; they allow the Commando to safely realize his maximum potential. A proper Opsmando does not need more than the Flamethrower and the P45 to completely wreck shit, but the low range of these weapons will end up with him getting hit multiple times unless he has a meatshield.
  16. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Thread locked it has served It's purpose.
    Thread cleaned.
    Please stay on topic in the future.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.