Heart of the Swarm Release Date: March 13th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kith, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

2. Moe
    • Donator

Moe Well-Known Member

And it only took 3 years! :O
  3. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Should be interesiting, large number of improvements (Clan support, Leveling system, revamped UI, etc.)

For the modding scene, we get the new units + animations. Don't know what else editor will add, mind you the editor already has too much.

As far as new units for ladder, the ones we've seen so far (Widow Mine, Tempest, Swarm Host, Viper, Oracle). Also apparently some Terran units are getting reworks because of their limited viability: Raven, Battlecruiser, another one I forgot.

If your in the ladder/competitive scene, the main thing that will probably shake things up sadly will boil down to how much infestor gets nerfed, as it stands it currently is called the Winfestor, mainly because of Fungal.

I get the feeling that the B.net changes are done, the campaign is done, the story is done, and all that remains is balance changes to appease competitive players, so that they do not feel like HotS matches = WoL matches.

O I almost forgot the best change IMO, which will make for interesting playing. Global play, no longer locked to regions in HotS. I believe this is the reason Ability is standardizing the map name, come HotS we will all be (or at least able) to play with each other at will.
  4. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Not from what I know. I just bought it, and apparently it's region-locked.
  6. HDD
    • Donator

HDD Well-Known Member

We have 5 months from now to get ready!
  7. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Global Play

4 Months.
  8. Moe
    • Donator

Moe Well-Known Member

The Campaign looks awesome. Though, I'm not sure if I like the who idea of having to "level up" Kerrigan, and put in stat points and such. They're starting to lean towards the RPG element. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I expected for a Starcraft Campaign.
  9. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I think it's largely because a large portion of players disliked that wings of liberty was so macro-based. In starcraft 1, the ai was so bad that the best macro player in the world still had to focus on individual units to keep them from being complete idiots. *cough* dragoons *cough* Warcraft 3 had much better ai such that simply macroing would have been more possible, but the addition of heroes was a way of forcing players to micro. I think that is the purpose of Kerrigan in this campaign, although I would not be surprised if you have the option of either upgrading her or upgrading your other units.
  10. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

It is. And you do have the option. From what I understand, basically HotS will have Kerrigan upgrades take the place of Stetmann Science Fair/Project Upgrades. Also the various missions will permit mutations to the swarm. Instead of the buyable upgrades that were in WoL (which were only limited by credits and could be done in any order), you now have to choose between 2 mutations to each unit. Examples that have been throw around is either having when Lings die, they split into 2 mini lings, or having Lings that can jump/leap.
  11. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

Maybe this had already been answered, but for NOTD2, will Ability consider any type of bank transfers between notd and notd 2?
  12. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

AFAIK, the underlying bank technology/stuff is not changing so as long as Ability uses the same format/layout/method to generate them, they should be transferable. We probably can check and see once their is more people in the beta, and maybe do a test run. Not sure how custom maps are being handled in beta.
  13. vexxenon

Maybe this is not the place to bring up ideas or suggestions, mod feel free to move this to the correct location.

It'll be nice if NOTD and NOTD 2 bank file are interchangeable, and all in one folder, so that if you play NOTD 2 storyline and save, then you decide to play NOTD alpha or whatever the exp/weaponmod/etc will carry over.

However if NOTD have different game mechanism, then that might be a problem.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

That's entirely possible and I'm currently going through the motions of figuring that out.
  15. vexxenon

Thanks for taking your time doing so.
  16. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

I've seen the new terran and zerg units in action, someone care to show me what the protoss units look like in action??? ^-^
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

:|
  18. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

I preordered my CE already.
  19. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Well-Known Member

Oh the terran units... I still wan't my warhounds back, those were nice and op >:D They sounded derpy, and looked even more derpy, but MAN those things melted toss
  20. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Ultimately they were cut because from many people's viewpoint, the Warhound merely served as a mech variant of a marauder. Fundamentally they wouldn't make terran mech play viable, they would BE terran mech, just massing them and them alone.

As for the protoss units, any videos you see are out of date, Replicant was removed, Mothership core was added, then reworked, Oracle had half its abilities redone, and Tempest is now effectively a long range anti massive siege unit. They lowered Tempest range but boosted it base and bonus damage to massive. From what I've read, they are primary used to snipe Broodlords or Winfestors, blunting the usual auto win zerg late game combo.

Oracle is used for resource denying, but their Purifier beam (basically a powerful activate one time attack, similar to Yamato Cannon) allow 4 or 5 to suicide rush and take out a Nexus/CC/Hatch.

Mothership core has recall and detection, useful for warding off early raids.