Google AdSense and You

Discussion in 'Online Operations' started by Blaqk, May 12, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Ability has had enough dating ads and after being offered a chance to be a surrogate mother, I've had enough of our ads too. After doing a little research, we've found a way to manually filter out the really annoying ads from our website, and I'm going to show you all how you can alter your own, "personalized" advertisements from Google's own website.

[hr]

[align=center]Step 1: Leap of Faith[/align]

As scary as the idea is, I need you to click the ad. However, you're going to be clicking a particular part of the ad that will take you, safely, to Google's AdSense manager.

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

Click the little triangle to take you to this next page.

[hr]

[align=center]Step 2: Down the Rabbit Hole[/align]

Upon clicking the arrow you will be brought to this page.

[attachment=1013]

You're welcome to read all about Google's AdSense, but most of you will just want to click the circled link to get to the part about your personalized ads.

[hr]

[align=center]Step 3: What have you done!?[/align]

Welp... here you are. This is exactly what Google thinks you're into. Google will monitor all of the websites you visit and then using the accrued data, place you into a series of categories that have associated ads they will show you on websites you visit. Here's what they've got me pegged as.

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

They're spot on with my demographic but my categories are a crock of shit. Just click that blue "remove or edit" link and they'll update the cookie in your browser used to target you with ads.

[hr]

[align=center]Note[/align]

Google gathers a lot of their information from mining your cookies and then store the AdSense information as a cookie. This means if you delete your cookies, you'll reset all of your ad information. So once you've adjusted your categories, avoid deleting the cookie that Google crams in your folder.

Enjoy.
  2. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Bye bye Silly/creepy notd advertisements thread.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Actually, I'm adding even crazier shit to my AdSense profile. MOAR SILLINESS!
  4. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

In that case, you're taking the silly ad thread to a whole new level! :cool:
  5. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

AdBlock makes me ignorant of these ads
  6. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Good news, everyone! What you see in that screenshot is actually only part of my categories. We actually have more that you only see when you go to edit/remove them.

I also have the entire Law & Government spectrum as a category.