Gimmicks in NOTD

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Gas sequence.
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Was expecting that. Any recommendations?
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I prefer the predator's Camera to the Player's Camera in the Gas Sequence. Less laggy, more functional, at least from what I see.

When you replaced Subtly Commando, you pretty much wiped out 2 Gimmick skills (KMS and Mind Meld), and with Gravity Gun out, that is 1 more Gimmick out.

I think FO's Rotating Gunship may fall into it, but since I haven't touched that skill in forever, I do not know the current state of it.
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I'd actually say Apop's Red Mist of Battle, more than the Gas Sequence. The Red Mist of Battle thing does absolutely nothing. Other than unduly punish people running on low settings for performance apparently as was revealed to me after I commented about it in my Newbie Guide.

Because honestly on the settings I run you can't see shit for the most part other than a few glowing bits on enemies and barely noticeable silhouettes. If you think I'm bullshitting you, just try it.

Honestly the Gravity Gun was a Gimmick of that sort. It added nothing to the game's core mechanics, and in fact distracted and derailed them. But that's already dead, gone and I'm pissing on its grave so... yeah.

I feel the Sentinel is a bit of an unnecessary gimmick. In harder difficulties it's not a factor in the least, it's the Reaper Drones, not the Sentinel that spots you. It really adds nothing to the Black Ops fight other than an excuse to use a Nuke, OSOK, TTD, etc.

The Noxious Gas Sequence... as much as everyone despises it and swears Alpha Company is forever damaged by its existence... I don't mind. I mean yeah, it can be a pain in the ass. And the Noxious Gas Sequence rewards people who know the layout of Apollo fairly intimately. I'd even suggest removing the minimap from it... hell, I never use it during the sequence though I know a lot of scrubs do, then complain when their beeline no dodging run gets them murdered, which falls under the category of "Well fuck 'em, they deserved it for blind running." to me. It's more painful to micro during it, but not like it's impossible to shuck and jive through the infested by a long shot.

It does also play well into the storyline. It feels like from what we know of Apollo, Dr. Asshat, and the UGC Marines that Dr. Asshat SHOULD be fucking with the marines in some way. He hates the UGC, he's an intellectual snob that hates our fascist organization, and he's clearly a traitor that would be hung unto death if caught.

The question goes, if not the Gas, then what?
  6. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Possibly leave team as 3rd person but change vision to be scope like only (very narrow cone) to simulate the effect that you can only see with a very limited Field of View (FOV)? Basically would be blinded everyone then imposing SMM Scope with much more narrow FOV (like say 60 degrees instead of scopes's 120)
  7. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

I'd say Cloaking Seekers, OHK Broodmothers and Advanced Mutation Black Ops buff are also quite gimmicks. The only thing worse than a high-damaging high-hp faster than player-zombie is a high-damaging high hp faster than player-zombie that can cloak. Broodmothers doesn't make any senses apart from punishing the team for not having a tanker and Advanced Mutation Black Ops make them charge up to you with 8 ms, giving sights, using void prison, then spam satchels.
  8. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

I suggest the gas to have can have immobilising effects, such as knocking out a player or 2, which leaves them unconscious but also invulnerable until gas sequence is over. The players are chosen at random, and they will not teleport to random locations like how it is now, but remain where they were before gas started. This applies to all players. They shouldn't be teleported to random locations in Apollo.[hr]
    Reasons: gas knocks the marines out, slows their heart rate and breathing to such a low state that zombies mistake them for being dead.

When gas is released, marines stay rooted to where they were. Team has an option to fully split up to the 3 locations or keep some marines to defend their sleeping comrades.
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Problem with that is you are effectively giving a random middle finger to a player, or two, telling him that he cannot play for the next 5-10 minutes and might as well just go make a sandwich.

That's not good.

The separation and scattering kinda makes sense to me. When you see rioters get tear gassed, for example, they don't just stand there and fall to the ground. Nor do they do an orderly retreat. They fracture, scramble, and seem to lose all sense of direction and purpose.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I have a question. Why doesn't the gas affect the zombies?
  11. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Isn't that the same as how gas isolates players and one false move and they get swarmed and killed? Its easy to lose players during gas, and this suggestion is geared more towards preservation of players, while disabling them so the team needs to work with less manpower to achieve the objective of finding the doctor.
  12. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

13. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I like Gas as it is. Once you get used to it by playing a lot of AC, you become good at navigating it too.
    A lot of new players seem to love it too.
    It takes teamwork and coordination and you won't lose anyone during it.

As for Apop, I would agree that it is gimmicky. I play on min settings and basically the screen is black and all I do is look at my mag count to reload in time because I know eventually Apop will die.

Cloaked seekers etc are not gimmicky as it encourages use of otherwise quite pointless thermals and perception stats (and road flares). You wouldn't get it for Wraiths which you can knife or otherwise one shot with skills anyway. You can't do that with seekers.

Broodmothers I think are generally OK too. I would suggest to reduce their bonus MS on creep though as that is currently quite insane. That would turn them into an enemy to be attacked at long range and very kitable as opposed to getting OHK on creep charge.

NM ZoomOps speed is pretty insane and makes them nearly impossible to target with stuff so all you do is let your guns do the killing and focus more on reloads. I'd rather they be at a speed between Normal and NM to make them targetable and maybe have a little bit more HP instead.

Sentinel. Well unless you turn it into a Detector, its very much pointless at present. Its threat rating isnt even high so it won't act as a tank either. What about turning it into something of a Black Ops Mad Spark with a lot of HP, detector, no regeneration to focous the team's attention unless they aim manually? With not quite so fast ZoomOps that would make it more skill based too.

Creep - random chance to spawn from certain zombies and 100% from infestors. Very gimmicky in that it randomly adds a high HP low priority highway for enemies to charge you from and prevent your own escape/limiting kiting.

Parasites and their incredibly fast attacks generally are OK, but in certain scenarios there's nearly nothing you can do against them. Say for instance during the Perses fight where you have mass agrons and huggers coming at you besides Perses taking up a large chunk of your screen and item boxes littered everywhere. Happened more than once that sneaky parasites off a dead Agron killed half the team because they were invisible under an item crate or otherwise covered by the massive creature that is Perses or other Agrons. While generally Agron parasites are OK because they are easily evaded/killed, during a boss fight such as that one, you are very much helpless again them and as they spawn after a random time interval after death, not predictable for AoE eliminator skills either.

Speaking of Perses, those shields coming down are still extremely random and I feel can spawn a bit too far from Perses itself. If you are fighting him near a map corner/edge, it seems to me that there are often fewer than 4 shields dropped as well as some inevitably will spawn outside of the map or maybe in a terrain hole. The other thing with Perses is that he sometimes charges his firewave before even becoming visible to players and without any nearby shields the team all lose a life or worse.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

It's not the same Zuriel. A scattered player is a player who can still do something, kill zombies, use skills, move, link up with other teammates, etc.

A disabled teammate completely takes a player out of the game, as you've described it. They have absolutely nothing to do. They can go shit, shower, shave, make a sandwich, and come back to their rig with zero impact on the game that way. If it literally doesn't matter if you are even at your keyboard or not (As that would), that would be a bit of bad game design.
  15. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Ok fine.

But please, the point is, kill it. Horribly nauseating experience.
  16. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I'd just like to say that the first time I experienced the gas sequence I literally puked. Granted I wasn't expecting it because I had just hit 500 xp and couldn't find anyone in the channel that wanted to play alpha, so I was soloing it, and I had had a lot to drink, but still.

Alpha has been my least favorite storyline since then.
  17. Froblock

Froblock Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And yea, also Broodmothers.
    You should tone down their damage probably by 25% - 50% because they share the same damage as the Queen AKA final boss yet they are 1/10th of the size.
  18. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

You forget that a slasher has basically the same damage and yet is also 1/10th the size. And more common on higher difficulties if more predictable.

I think removing slashers from mines (Nydus) newbie mode would be nice. As much as it teaches people to hunt the nydus together, slashers will still come out if the damage on the nydus is low when it is time to spawn things and slashers end up killing a large part of the team.
  19. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Devourers fill that same role, and are much less deadly. Although they will need a movespeed nerf in Newbie to compensate for spawning on creep.
  20. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I think based on what some people say, the Noxious Gas Sequence is the opposite of the old Apop Red Mist of Battle.

In that it unduly punishes people running on higher settings.

Because on the lower end where I reside, there is NOTHING in there that makes it in any way all that nauseating. It's just a locked over the shoulder camera and the map has a slight green tint to it.

Where as people I know who play on other settings are talking about it like the screen is randomly distorting like a funhouse mirror combined with the acid trip from the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Not that I want to take the serious lag hit to try and check myself. Just that's how they talk about it. And my experience has it as nothing all that terrible.