Getting rid of lag

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by trrrr, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trrrr

trrrr New Member

We all know the mod is lagging lately. We still dont know whats causing this, but there is a method to make the game stop lagging.

It's simple: make one of the players drop.

Have him or her close SC2 while the game loads. Making the player leave the game after it loaded doesnt work.
  2. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

I heard that the lag issue does not exist in EU and the SEA servers and neither do the desyncs occur there as well. If those are true, then it's highly likely that it's just the NA server that got F-ed up.
  3. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

i can say the EU servers do not have the problems that we have. been there done that...

the SEA servers i have heard dont have issues. It has to b our NA server being drunk or something is corrupt when u have more than 1 person in the game. U can solo the game with no lag but the moment u have more it becomes a slideshow
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

If only everyone in the America's had 30 MB internet.

Problem is probably because Blizzard dun fucked when they added streaming the game while you play to reduce wait time.

Because it is streaming data, even more of your internet gets used.

Or so me thinks. I may be wrong. I'm still pretty sure that Europe has superior internet service in general though, compared to the US.
  5. Nebibubi

Nebibubi New Member

Small Note for the EU Server:

I am not sure what kind of lag issue you guys are experiencing but we do have some crashing/lag issues as well. However they are limited to a few people only on the server so most likely due to patch fucking with those specific persons.

*fly away*
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Crashing is due to a large number of us having low RAM.
    The lag issues is confined to a few people who have always been lagging really.

I agree with Arc that it seems to be a NA issue for some reason
  7. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

NA essentially is unplayable unless someone drops, which oddly removes the lag. Lag varies from person to person, by a lot.
  8. Blaze

Blaze New Member

exactly what pyro said but this issue isnt just in notd its terrible in other maps across the Na servers some maps wont have it others its so bad that map has lost popularity till blizzard fixes it so i have taken a break from notd till fixed (bored as hell from it too :( )
  9. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Streaming is misnamed in blizzard. It's really just the map preloading the triggers and shit. No streaming really takes place because I know for a FACT I can't push up or down a 200+ MB (loading notd) in 10 seconds or less.
  10. Pyromaniac

I'm jelly of the people who could buy both NA AND EU copies.
  11. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Don't you play in NA? You mean SEA right?
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Got around to verifying this personally. It seems like a memory leak of some kind. The amount of memory that SCII was taking when I had a full game as opposed to a "dropped lag" game was astronomical. I don't know why someone dropping cures the lag, but it does. I'm just confused about all of this.
  13. DarkerShadow

DarkerShadow New Member

Well, from what I've been told, the only things different between the NA version and the SEA and EU servers are the ban lists. Could we potentially remove the ban lists, for, say, a day or so, and just check to see if somehow this might be internal within the map? I will admit that custom maps have been a bit buggy recently, but most of the others that I've played only desync or "disconnect from lobby", they don't have strange lag spikes that a leaver can fix.

I only suggest this for a short time because the ban lists are obviously there for a reason, but since they've been implemented, wouldn't the offenders not be trying to play the game anyways once they realized they've been banned?

I'm speaking merely for diagnostic reasons, perhaps even just update long enough to test it out yourself with a few full groups, see if it got better, play a few pubs, check if it's better there too and then figure out if it's within the map or server side?

If it is within the map, then something apparently needs to change, but if it is server side, then you can go right back to the way it was and we're just back to where we started.

Merely a suggestion, just trying to help here ^.^;;
  14. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

The EU ban list is much longer than the NA one
  15. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Therefore lets get more people banned on NA and SEA and see how that works since EU is working just fine. :D Restore the balance a bit.
  16. DarkerShadow

DarkerShadow New Member

I don't know how the ban list was implemented, but if it is a memory leak as Kithrixx said, couldn't it be an unclosed statement or something of the sort?

Again, I'm just trying to help find a solution, if this were my project, I'd check every nook and cranny to make sure the screw up wasn't mine somehow.

That being said, I don't know what's wrong and the map could be perfectly fine; it might all be serverside, but isn't it at least worth checking? Just to be sure?

I'd like to point out that in pubs, it's becoming commonplace to simply remake the game before you even select a class if someone doesn't drop, and the new players are left wondering why the majority of people left the game. It seems people can't play the higher difficulties either currently because a leaver counts in the party as a "player with 0 XP" so you can't alpha or apollo or even -nm

this is seriously affecting gameplay and I'm passionately pleading that something be done, if not to fix, then to at least make sure there's nothing to be done on our part to fix it.
  17. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

1.52 patch on bnet fixed the lag which appeared with 1.5 for a couple of days. The problem, as we see now, later returned.

No patches on NOTD NA was made during the time between the lag periods which pretty much (SHOULD) excludes NOTD coding being the problem.
  18. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

That and other maps having the issue as well as someone wrote
  19. trrrr

trrrr New Member

I may be very wrong about this, but is it possible that the mod is lagging because it is in the process of being replaced by a new version? Ability said he would upload a new version with bug fixes about a week ago (the date kinda fits with the time the lags returned).

But that would raise another question: can it take this long to upload a new version?
  20. Pyromaniac

I was talking about the people who bought 2 versions of the game, so they could play on both NA AND EU at their own leisure
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.