Get the ban system working already.

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Diode, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

To save people to grief over silly things that can be done a long long time ago.

Only thing is needed is maintenance and people that actually be fair about it. Ban can be use for full time to a short sentence given by the crime.

Plus its not hard to do... So stop spoon feeding lies and admit to the short comings.
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

He whipped that up in almost 15 minutes!

Then we proceeded to Ban Ozy...
  3. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

Would had ban archangel if he gave me his right key.
  4. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Firstly, You're a moron, Secondly; don't say its easy unless you've done it before yourself.
  5. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

... he HAS done it before. He did it yesterday, to be precise.
  6. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

How about you give me ID and ill just add it and ban you auto?

Also. If you say you turn a new leaf and w/e. Why don't you help ability dig himself out of the grave.
  7. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I admit to not being Programming Minded... But it strikes me as something that should be possible and quite a quick fix if one intended for it. We already have an autokick based on bank file checks. Things like hackers who have General of the Army rank because no one is legitimately close to it, etc. We have unique player IDs (Which avoids any name change confusion or bank file mutilation avoidance) displayed in game. Take Autokick code. Replace the checks with ID code variables. Bam, auto ban system.

But this is Peasant Logic. Which might not actually be applicable.
  8. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

9. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Its not as simple of a thing you make it out to be.

Sure you can build the system. Sure you can Retrieve the ID's. But the next question is, what about Ban Lengths and duration for various offenses? What about our Script Limit? As nice as it would be to ban all hackers forever, the punishment doesn't fit the crime as well. Its like condemning a person to suffer for all eternity for 100 years worth of crimes.

Its similar to idle bitching about something saying it can be done without any thought being given to other aspects of it.

What happens to a person when they decide to come clean and start anew. Wouldn't be any point, just driving off your audience.

ATM, code is looking (and being) dropped to make space for something like this. (Pretty sure enough has been made to implement this), but that doesn't mean there is enough to add a huge fucking list (e.g. Community Watch) to that.

That would be creating a Maximum Security Jail to throw anyone who does anything into. So stop your complaining, there is more to it than just creating a system to retrieve ID's and Ban people.

On another note, Not sure if Sentences were finalized yet though. Last I saw, 1-week sentences for 1st time Offenders, with a game-issued statement saying why person got auto-kicked/killed so that person in question would understand why, and new players would understand why.

In Conclusion, just chill and wait. Rushing things has always fucked them up anyways (refer to Pathfinder, Chemical Expert, Technician, newly implemented mechanics).
  10. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

Well.. this was put off forever and ever. The fact it been do able since v1.4.1? of the editor.

This the reason why Black OPS members are suppose to do. GO view current standing of game and the members as an collective. Also I did no say putting it in right away. I say put a system that works.

And the fact I prove that you can ban people and auto ban at start. It a simple problem of logistics and commitment to the players that find these heretics and punish them according to the rules the Community establish later on.

We already have the community watch and its guards of prideful NOTD watchmen that prowl the pubs to report them. Time to put some action to it and bring some order.

So the topic at hand now is Black Op members draft your little ideas on how to punish players and let the mass vote. Then the developers have to put it in.

On the topic of Script limit. It has nothing to do with the triggers itself but the actually content inside the entire map. Content goes as triggers, assets (icons, textures, etc), Music, terrain, Lighting and a lot more stuff. Map limit are 10MB while MOD depends are 20MB. So It takes no 4 year degree to figure out which files take up more space. There is many alternatives to fix this. Only if ability is willing to part with his map.

Final note. This is only 1 trigger and one record. The record will grow if hacker/modify player group grows.
  11. Emperor

Emperor New Member

I honestly don't see why it doesn't fit the crime. If you play any other game hacking is a permanent ban. I've never seen any one get caught hacking and get anything less, literally, ever in my entire life of gaming. PB and VAC will ban you outright forever for hacking. I've hung around communities and clans enough to know that even if it's personally decided, rather than automatically by an anti-hack program like the aforementioned, admins without question perma-ban for hacking.

It's ironically stuff like racism and griefing that people are given short term bans for.

More over it's a very simple matter of deciding duration. But don't forget that bans should be permanent until an appeal is made on the forum. At least this is a system I've known to work because many hackers will not only just not bother and it saves everyone time, but if you make a strong enough case you can get unbanned. Although in my experience this was in an FPS, where I was just too awesome for a day so I got banned for hacks and then unbanned after I appealed. NOTD hacking is pretty cut and dry with who bank hacked and who didn't.

The only actual concern really is keeping this ban list up to date, both with the bans and unbans, if there even will be unbans for hackers. Again, that seems preposterous to me.

Lastly concerning script usage... This is irrefutably a priority, and apparently now something that was never difficult.
  12. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Keep this thread civil ladies and gents. Anyone out of line here will receive a ban without warning from this point forward.

I would take care on how you present your posts and speak of other members of this forum.

Mirage..
  13. Mirage
    • Donator

Because I was asked to write a separate application, not give input on the map; although I have given some opinion regarding the bank security and all.
  14. Forefox

Forefox New Member

It is interesting that there is chat of a ban system while my blacklist post back a years and a half back was closed due to drama within the community. I prefer a soft method of another blacklist on the forums that is more regulated than an overall ban system in this game. Leave it up to the players of who they want to play with rather than imposing such a system as both deterrent and punishment.
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Precisely. The blacklist was closed because people stirred up too much drama. Having a mechanical system in place avoids most of that due to the fact that machines don't have emotions from which to spawn drama.

At least until TacNet turns into Skynet and wtfrapes humanity.
  16. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Any sufficiently advanced programming routine wants to kill all humans, as we have learned from speculative fiction.
  17. Mirage
    • Donator

iPhone 7... Your overlord.
  18. Hongbearr

Hongbearr New Member

The ban system is about control, those who needs to be controlled (i.e. hackers, grievers, game throwers and people we simply don't want to play with) and those who wants to control them (i.e. people who works hard on grinding XP, medals and people who have a real problem with the fact that it takes honest players forever to achieve something that hackers can achieve in seconds). While I have no opinion on whether such a system is good or bad, I do have a strong opinion on it's implementation: Don't implement it unless you have a clear definition of who should be controlled and put together a process to maintain such control. IMHO a banning system without a well designed support process behind it will simply make a mess of things (HAL will kill you all and take over the world!)

I don't believe the challenge lies in the programming aspect of things. Once the rules are defined, I'm sure Ability can simply code them while baking cookies (or whatever it is that he does for fun outside of NOTD.) The real challenge lies in what those rules are and who gets to make them. While it's simple to spot someone with 200k xp/credits and 30 games played as a hacker, I'm sure someone who's smart enough to hack the bank file is smart enough to disguise it and make it look real, thus, in order for the system to really work, real people must be involved in the banning process. Now we are no longer taking about just coding. We are now talking about a process in which dedicated players who have control will need to create, maintain and enforce the banning rules, whatever they may be. Furthermore, unless you want Ability and his inner circle to be the King (or Queen?) and the Knights of of NOTD who rule with absolute tyranny, you would probably want some kind of appeal process so those who are banned can voice their pleadings (or you could simply say: screw democracy).

My personal solution is a simple one: If I see someone with a hacked bankfile, I introduce him to my old friend Bob (may you rest in peace and may I say that I really miss having the ability to bite people).
  19. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

The point of this type Ban system is for players that have been found guilty and then put on exile. Why have a community watch when you don't use the information.

Players that are ban can be promote to see moderator on forum or whoever is the caretakers of the list.

The player that is ban can come prove his case to peers. Simply a test of knowledge if you will and x amount of players reference. If fail he has options and those options will depend on w/e rules made.

This is not to shun people but to correctly facilitate those that have mod files.

If they still do it after warn. Well follow w/e rules the people setup. Then that will be all upon the community as a whole.

The blacklist was more of a reference to hackers to trolls. Also the bans don't have to be public knowledge.
  20. Emperor

Emperor New Member

The bans should only apply to hackers. It's a very straightforward matter of the banned getting others/evidence to corroborate that they're not hackers, and this is only in the case where banks are within the realm of reason, but no one reputable knows who the hell the person is. Fortunately this seems to rarely be the case, as most hackers are not in fact clever enough to disguise their hacks.

Anything else the responsibility is on the players to not play with problem people.

The ban system could move onto things other than hacking if hacking is made impossible with server-side banks, if that is actually going to happen. At that point I don't see the point of it unless people are really keen on banning griefers rather than just not playing with them.