FUREH FRUM DA SKIES: Kith's Forward Observer rework

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Kith, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Heh. Kinda funny, I know I was talking about that issue and being worried about it early on. Changing gear needs to not be calling in a marine.

Random suggestion to fix it?

Mear/Firebat/Sniper gains new abilities.

"Marine": Turns unit into a marine equipped with a gauss rifle and standard armor.
    "Firebat": Turns unit into a Firebat equipped with Mk-3 Flamethrowers and Dreadnaught armor.
    "Sniper": Turns unit into a Sniper equipped with M45 Marksmanship Rifle and Stealth Suit armor.

When using Marine/Firebat/Sniper, disables the Marine, Firebat, Sniper abilities for 30 seconds.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Guysssss changing gear isn't calling in a new dude a drop pod just falls on him and he changes equipmenttttt

Also, yeah, I still have to fiddle with Gunship. I've been working on what to do with it and I've come to the conclusion that we need to nix the "lose control of the FO for duration" thing. What I've been fiddling with is dropping a control drone that has various abilities that control the Gunship rather than it all being tied to the mouse and therefore making everything difficult to handle.

But it's still something that's being formulated, so. Gimme a bit on that.
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

You dont call in a new Marine when you change gears. This isn't implemented yet as mentioned in earlier post.
  4. MSluiter

MSluiter Member

Call in should prob be disabled if you are already at 3 units.

It’s pretty hard to test how well the limit will work without being able to change unit type. Firebats are a lot more durable and prob what you would be using most of the time. We really need to be able to change units to adequately test this, even if it’s just a quick fix for now.
    I would guess 9 will be pleanty.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Then you only call in one marine and plan ahead of time? Or get one of your marines killed and replace it with a Firebat/Marksman? There's plenty of breathing room for shenanigans.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I'd like each unit to have a "dismiss" button that sends it back to your pool. However the cost should be considerable so it cannot be abused. Something like 40 energy cost on the FO when its activated on the actual mini.

The current testing build with marines only seems OK. Marines are probably a lot more durable than they should be though. Unless they run into a slasher or Titan, they can survive running through a mob and back, which is what happened when the FO had them selected during gunship, causing them to run through a horde of hulks, infested rines and what not and by the time gunship ended he quickly noticed and had them run back.

I'd recommend reducing the strength of the improved equipment as a result, given that Firebats will be infinitely more durable than the marines.
  7. Lightning
    • Donator

Lightning Member

cant u ha ve the marine uncall itself?
  8. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

thats "dismissing"/"Disbanding"
  9. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

For the Mobile Infantry (henceforth referred to as MI) gear change, the menu system may be too cumbersome and hard to track. The units will instead have buttons to select to swap to the other 2 equipment types (when unlocked).

The disband ability is something I prefer to avoid because it just makes the unit disappear and/or doesn't make too more sense lorewise.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Random Thought:

I wouldn't personally mind myself if changing gear on a MI involved a Cast/Build Time. Something where it prevents the marine from attacking or moving for 2-4 seconds while they swap gear that's dropped down on them or the like, they still have their old gear/stats while swapping gear.

A) It makes sense to me on the Peasant Logic level. It's not a Super Sentai show or Magical Girl anime where Transformation sequences supposedly take up .2 seconds of real time and 2 minutes of Film Time. :p

B) Prevents random micro abuse issues with last minute saves by turning someone about to get chewed on into a Firebat or something. Or at least makes it much more difficult and require a level of pre planning instead of Korean Micro.
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I'm cool with buttons being present on the units themselves. I'm also cool with them having a "build time".
  12. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Given some of the initial feedback, will be reducing MI base HP by about 20%. Kith is thinking up some actives for the MIs. Some ideas for now:
    - Hecate infusion: damaged enemies are slowed by 25% (flamer)
    - Pirahna rounds: splash radius increased by 40% (rifleman)
    - Vendetta rounds: every attack deals 2x damage - single target (marksman)
  13. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Piranha

As for the Hecate infusion, what about a wider flame beam or an added DoT burn along the lines of 10/s for 5 s non stacking

Vendetta rounds maybe 2x damage if it doesn't stack with the crits - i.e. temporarily set crit chance to 100%
  14. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind it if the mini rifleman got a .33 boost to armor penetration to make them more effective against a wider array of enemies, and I know some may see this as making the rifleman too versatile, but remember, they're supposed to be pretty well rounded. With the damage buffs and armor penetration, it's really like you've given them a UA420 (still not used to that name) over the UA GPR-12 (not used to that one either).
  15. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Uploading a new patch in 30 minutes. The switch gears functionality is now working so you can test the effectiveness of the 9 reserve in actual play. The Level 2 of the Flamer/Marksman specialization doesn't work yet. The energy debuff on FO when MIs are active hasn't been implemented yet as well.

I've moved Air Strike to the Fire Support Tree. Gunship is still on the MI tree for now.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

They are well-rounded. They're good against everything except heavily armored targets and some bosses. They don't need an armor penetration buff. The entire point of the FO minis is being able to rotate the three through their equipments and choosing the loadouts that are the most appriopriate.

To that end, I've figured out what to do for Improved Equipment. Details at 11 when I'm not posting from a phone again because the internet is out for the whole building.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Whoosh, I'm back.

Marine: Get equipped with Improved Stimpack, which replaces the Stimpack ability

Improved Stimpack - Active: 10 second cooldown
    Now including a small injection of nanites, the Stimpack no longer causes cellular degeneration upon application.

Increases the Marine's attack speed and movement speed by 35% for 10 seconds.

Firebat: Get equipped with Incendiary Grenade

Incendiary Grenade - Active: 25 second cooldown
    For the rare event of their heavy armor not being sufficient enough to get them close enough to the enemy to use their Flamethrowers, the Firebats were equipped with grenade launcher tubes on the undersides of their gauntlets to deal with ranged threats and flush out bunkered enemies.

Deals 35 damage in an AOE of 2 at 10 range. Enemies struck by the explosion take 10 damage per second for 10 seconds and have their movement speed slowed by 15%.

Marksman: Get equipped with Stabilizing Bipod

Stabilizing Bipod - Toggle: 2 second initial cast, instant de-cast

A bipod is a simple mechanism that allows the user to steady their weapon by propping it up on the ground or nearby objects to drastically increase stability while aiming and reduce recoil when firing.

While active, increases the Marksman's damage and attack speed by 10%, but renders him immobile.

Animation note: While Bipod is active, the Marksman's idle pose is replaced with the "ready to fire" one, similar to the OSOK sliding glitch.

Mechanics note: Telling the Marksman to move while Bipod is active will do nothing. The ability has to be deactivated first before he is capable of moving again, to prevent accidental cancellation and to also promote micro.
  18. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I like these.
  19. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Unless the marksman already has Crit Strike Chance, I'd say that Bi-pod probably would help him land Crit's as well, though, whether or not you think that would be a neat idea to place in there is up to you.

EDIT: God damn it, this is still pretty damn hawt.
  20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

He doesn't, actually. All of the crit chances have been traded out for increased attack speed or increased damage (increased AS for Improved Equipment, improved damage for Focus). Turns out, the way crits are coded, they actually take a fairly significant amount of processing power. It doesn't bother me at all considering that the end result is the same, but that's where the crits went. If crits were still fair game, I 100% guarantee that the Bipod would increase crit chance, but considering that they're not, it's flat increases.

But yeah, glad you folks like it.