FUREH FRUM DA SKIES: Kith's Forward Observer rework

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Kith, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Metallica
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

First post updated with the finalized Infantry Support Tier 3.
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

What would happen if one of the Gunship weapons was made fully automatic. Ie, a minigun of sorts.

Something like 0.5 radius, 30 damage, 0.1 speed, and bonus damage to Light, reduced damage to Armored. No explosions, just use a spam of tracers as the visual. So it would look something like this.
    [​IMG]
    Poor image quality.

Anyways, this would make the "fast" weapon a hopefully less laggy (no explosions to lag it up) but still powerful antimob skill. It would turn any kind of regular "zombie enemies" into red mist.

The other weapon could be increased in strength, but lowered in speed, to make it a more justified anti-large target weapon. And the lock on weapon can remain more or less the spam.
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Kinda what I was going for in that NOTD Discussion Topic about the Gunship. Least in feel and spirit.
  5. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Would it be at all reasonable simply to model the gunship on a normal real life gunship, and give to a selectable cannon that you choose before activating, one pure anti light (low base damage, bonus to light/psionic or just light, fast fire rate, similar to what has above) and one anti armor (lower fire rate, higher base damage, large bonus to armored/massive units)
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

So Kith, I was randomly mulling this over when I was on my way to the store today:

We have the marine call down. 15 marines limited. I understand and appreciate it. However how does the Marine Limitation play when marines are already in the field necessarily?

What I'm talking about is, say you don't necessarily have CP in the FO. Level 1 you get one infantry. Call down. Got one marine running around. Level 2, second point into Infantry, can call down a second. Does this remove 1 additional reinforcement, or two even if the original Marine is still alive and isn't going to be changed out necessarily?

If so this means we're down 6 Marines by the time we hit level 3 necessarily. Or you spend time gimped out, unable to really be an effective member of the unit until you hit level 3 necessarily, which takes longer since FO doesn't get a Shared XP bonus. He might not have it until after the Armory is triggered.

Then getting Firebat and Marksman specializations means as you drop a new set of marines you're down 9. I mean it's not like that is horrendously bad. Just kinda leaves the FO with very little breathing room. He can only call down twice more. If he manages to lose one unit due to a troll spawn or something, which happens, you can end up very quickly burning through your marines.

Not sure if that's the intention behind it. Or if it was planned to work some other way necessarily. It seems a shame that the whole tree being about that loses over half it's durability just in the course of leveling up instead of actually expending resources necessarily.

Just a thought.
  7. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I don't know about levelling up infantry calldown, but I know that kith intended the infantry specialization to update your existing marines instead of calling down new ones (i.e., have one marine on the field, when you change him into a firebat a droppod comes down on top of him, after a while he comes out as a firebat.)

EDIT: I believe that each level of infantry calldown only gives you one marine per use of the ability, so it shouldn't cost you any marines calling it down between level ups.
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well that would be very, very nice. And prevent me from being locked into whatever 3 man team I find most effective over the course of an entire game.

I suppose the fear comes from knowing that it is probably easier to code it as merely wholesale replacing marines than adapting it to a bunch of situational triggers. And thus running into that above scenario.
  9. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

The calldown is always one at a time. Leveling it up increases the maximum number you can have out. (So you level it up once, drop a marine, level it up again, drop another, level it up a third time, drop the sergeant)
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

See, I should just keep my idle rambling old man thoughts to myself. Makin' me look like the fool.
  11. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

As my english teacher always says "Dumb questions are always better than dumb mistakes".

Keep on rambling. I at least enjoy something to read and reply to :D.

Now. Back on topic.

The proposed infantry system looks very good. Firstly, the tree isn't centered around two skills anymore (infantry calldown and specialization) and therefore encourages people to not hybrid into the artillery tree.

The only problem I have with the tree is marksman specialization because I don't really think that marksmen will be used that much. They may be good against air, but so are marines (especially since they have stimpack and the mm don't) and I can't really imagine a situation when I would not get 3 improved equipment instead, unless someone else is specializing in firebats, then maybe I'll get it.

So maybe, instead of marksmen, there could be a more noncombative specialization instead. Call it support soldier or something. Give it the standard gauss rifle, or even a marksmen rifle (since most supports use marksmen rifle anyway) and give it a passive regeneration increase aura or something. Perhaps at level 2 the infantry gain the ability to remove ailments/heal other units (less than the medic of course).

Also, are you planning to include sprint as one of the mini's abilities? Because I think you should.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Sprint will be a standard ability, yes.

I think you're underestimating the Marksman. In addition to having +30% attack speed increase from Level 2 Marksman Specialization, he also has the potential to get +10% attack speed from the Alacrity aura from the Marine and another +10% from Dogs (which also has 10% increased damage), which increases to +25% during The Final Cut (also with increased damage). On top of this, with Focus active and maximum level Improved Equipment, he's got a 27.5% crit rate, and if he's a Sargeant, he deals 10% increased damage. In total, the Infantry Marksman is capable of attacking at a 65% increased attack speed with a 35% damage bonus and a 27.5% chance to deal double damage on every attack. To be frank, the Marksman is going to be a fucking damage-dealing machine.

The Sargeant has a health regen aura. He is the "soft support" that you're asking for. The other "soft support" available is in the Marksman's Awareness aura, and the Firebat's Fortitude aura. There is no solid singular support infantry because I wanted to encourage players mixing things up, and I also wanted to avoid overshadowing the Medic.[hr]
    Each level of Infantry Deployment only uses one Infantry from the reserve. Changing their equipment does not cost reserves, so you could theoretically drop three Infantry at the beginning of the game and maintain 12 in reserve for the rest of the game if you avoid losing them while being able to change their loadout as much as you want.
  13. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

I like dis
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

... Nite, I don't think drunkposting is allowed.
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Wow that was drunk posting.

Anyways, the flare as innate is fine by me. It needs to be bigger than a road flare, but not nearly as big as lvl 3 recon flare. That was we dont step on any toes. The inaccuracy should keep its balance in check. Otherwise 2 small flares (still inaccurate) would be interesting.
  16. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

That said, I wouldn't mind if the FO Flare Innate had a very high targeting range. Talking like 100 radius here. Granted, it might not be used in such a manner 98% of the time. But it would give it some utility that a Recon's Flare doesn't necessarily have. For example being able to spot check random spawning locations and plan appropriately for those who know them.

I'm just imagining it during say, Cerberus where you could map target it far the hell away, so the typical "Where is he? Geeze, when is he coming?!" sort of thing could be answered before "Right on top of the Marksman trying to run back to us from the Helipad!"
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I wouldn't say 100. More like 50.
  18. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I personally think that the Flare should gain additional #'s fired as part of one of the tree's, sort of like how the old Surveillance Flares were.
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I don't think so. If you want to flare a large area, you can cast the innate several times. Easier to do with the Fire Support tree because of the lack of energy drain from the minis, but still possible from Infantry Support if you manage your shit properly.
  20. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Can you make the firebats not armored? Because as armored units ivax can deal >9000 damage per shot to them and they won't be useful during that fight at all.

Then again, maybe you can remove light/armored from all the minis, like the marines currently are.