FUREH FRUM DA SKIES: Kith's Forward Observer rework

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by Kith, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Maybe. I have to admit that it's a toss up if I'd actually play the Infantry tree. Mostly because if I was going to start microing a certain amount of units I just say "Fuck it, might as well play Ladder!" Just like with the Field Engineer. Only real worry that comes to mind though is how it'd mess with marine XP. Just the pattern so far has been that any minion unit of a Marine doesn't give out shared XP or anything. Considering there isn't the 1-1 Active to Cooldown sort of thing going on anymore it becomes more of a worry, like back when it was something like a 30 second duration to a 35 second recharge on the skill.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

If it's implemented as intended, the minis will share EXP as if the Forward Observer himself killed something. I've already seen how hard the Combat Engineer outlevels everyone without trying, and I don't really want to see that multiplied by three.
  3. Seeky

Seeky New Member

Love the Arty tree, but I agree with Yuey on that the infantry support T3 needs a buff. Also, the Sergeant should have an upgraded weapon, such as the Marine getting a HK420 instead of a gauss rifle. Not sure on the ones for Marksmen and Flamers though.

Should also have abilities for the minis to reward players that micro them well.

Overall its a solid rework. Good job.
  4. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Infantry's T3 should be a dual part skill. It has the passive aura for the Minis, and an active skill or toggled portion for players. Maybe some kind of "Finest hour" or "heroic charge." It should be primarily dps oriented, since Alpha is all about high damage output. Maybe a toggle that lowers reload times or something.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Alright. I'll see what I can cook up for the T3.

As for the Sargeant having an upgraded weapon, that's what the +10% damage buff is. For the sake of simplicity (not having to mess with counterparts for the Flamer/MM and also not having to mess with one mini having a different weapon from the rest), I'm planning on leaving it as just the damage buff. If you think the damage buff should be higher, then explain why.

The minis -have- abilities that reward micro. The Marine has Stimpack, the Firebat has Slow Roast, and the Marksman has Focus. Juggling all three will be something of a challenge.
  6. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

I'm still wary about putting so much into the Fire Support tree. I would suggest dropping some of the benefits of Improved Bombardment maybe like the aim improvement or friendly fire reduction. As it is, a playtest would be the best thing for Fire Support to determine just how powerful it is with all of the damage it can dish out.

I really really like Infantry Support tree. About the only thing that is left bothering me is the lack of anything to do on the main FO. A revised T3 as Nite mentioned will be nice. Drop the 0.5 HP regeneration and give it a straight 15% buff to both damage and attack speed for minis as a passive and a 30% buff to FO and Allies triggered with a 10s duration and 30s cooldown with a cost of 50 energy. Energy regeneration being nerfed to shiet with Minis around would semi-balance the high numbers on the active T3, you'll use it a few times then be unable to even sprint for a while after that.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I would love to get rid of the Friendly Fire reduction, actually. That would make my day. I think it makes the Fire Mission way too safe, on top of the auto-acquiring targets thing. It's a relic of the old FO Rework that I did.

As for the T3, again, I'm working on it. I'm toying with the idea of making it a toggle buff that drains energy, so at least a FO who lost all of his minis isn't completely useless and can maintain that buff longer than he could if he had minis.
  8. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Isn't 100% accuracy on arti shells is a tad much? I know numbers aren't final and will still be balanced but just getting it out of the way early since I really think it's OP

(20 Shells on a low cooldown vs say, a boss (likely massive) 80damage x 20shells spammable.)

I would go for 25 > 50 > 75%

Having the airstrikes in this tree would be useful for shell conservation. +0.5.

I like the Infantry rework though. Getting them to change gear in field. Would require thought/proper decision making on whether it's safe for your "mini" to change gear now along with actual "painful" penalties for losing one etc.

+1
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

50%/100% accuracy is what the satellite uplink does currently, by the way, so it's not like he's creating something insanely new and overpowered.
  10. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lets assume Lyan thought Kith meant "100% accuracy", as in Lock-On-Pin-Point-Homing-Artillery.
  11. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I would agree with removal / reduction of FF reduction. You could argue "Smart Shells" (look @ Siege Tank's Shaped Blast or w.e. from Campaign), but even then, I would make it no more then 15% FF Reduction. (5% Per level. Nothings going to stop an explosion from hurting badly, but some mitigation may be plausible). The general idea would be giving a false sense of security. It reduces the damage by 4 per level to allies; You are still screwed anyways, though, a March Technician could live through a full 20 shells hitting him with 15% reduction, but not 10% (Not sure what a Marching Technician would be doing inside that), but really, instead of FF reduction, add a chance to apply Cripple / Open Wound stacks, with the latter occurring extremely often (Pretty sure you would be left bleeding badly if an Artillery Shell hit you, with a good chance to be disabled for life, but then again, this is Zombies in Space with Huge Rapid Moving chunks of flesh and Black Holes, and Murderous Computers.)=

EDIT: LAWL, I feel like an idiot. Edited out my bad pointless assumption.
  12. Kage

Kage Member

Speaking of the Campaign Siege Tank upgrade,since we have shields,make it such that the FF reduction only applies to shields.
  13. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

That's what I thought 100% would mean, yes.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The shells auto-target things instead of scatter, not home in on their targets. It's the same mechanic that's currently in place.

So, I was fiddling with Infantry Support T3 reworks, and I came up with this:

The Dogs of War
    The Forward Observer's leadership of the Infantry is inspiring to his troops and allies alike, and can spur them to engage in tremendous feats of strength and skill.

Dogs
    Passive effect: 10% increased attack speed and damage for all allied units in a radius of 7

The Final Cut
    Toggle, Activation cost of 40, energy drain of 2 energy/sec
    Damage and attack speed bonus increased to 25% and all allied units within the radius are granted 10% damage reduction.

I tried to make a class without making T3 song references and I just couldn't do it
  15. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I suggest the color of the forward observer's minis be pink.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Too blatant. FO's stuff remains standard colors!

Besides, I hate specifically colored pets. The Engineer's X-1 always being red and his probes always being orange irritates me.
  17. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yes, custom colors for all!
  18. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

I'm just gonna go ahead and throw down my own suggestions for skill names. Since we follow a musical theme, how about we go with these.

For Dogs of War
    Master of Puppets

Phantom Lord

How about one of these for "Dogs".
    Metal Militia

Disposable Heroes

The Four Horsemen
    It's funny because there's 1 FO and his 3 minis.

And for the Final Cut
    The End Of The Line

For Whom The Bell Tolls

No Remorse
  19. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

20. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer