Frame Rate Screenshots

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Hi, could you help post some screenshots in parts/areas of the game where your Frames Per Second (FPS) is below average?

Please activate the FPS display with CTRL-ALT-F so that we can see the numbers on your screenshot. I'm collecting data over the next few weeks to improve performance for slower PCs.

Things that dramatically reduce NOTD FPS that we can't influence:
    - Opening an unfinished YouTube video in your browser
    - Having another game like Mass Effect 3 open while playing NOTD
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

I chuckled at your scenarios that reduce NOTD performance that you can't influence.

There are only two areas where my current, dated GPU cries for mercy.

-Apollo Dome D
    -"Lag Forest", the area above the airlock

The presence of those little white cocoons is heavy in both locations, but the "Lag Forest" is distinctly more violent on my FPS. I typically traverse it above the crashed dropship there and keep my camera focused as much as I can towards the top as it keeps my FPS tolerable.
  3. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

I'll get the full details when I finish a new pub game.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Scrapyard's high amount of constantly animated doodads leads to many player's FPS tanking (mine was no exception until I upgraded my computer to a behemoth). I'll run some numbers and screenshots when I get the time.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Parts my FPS drops:
    - Fighting Dome/Queen mobs in lab. While FPS drops during these sequences due to number of mobs, it's more when it's at lab. My hypothesis is that mobs have more travel time so more moving things in game and the lab has many moving objects
    - Dropship sequence in EC (esp for Vet)
    - Shooting very closely stacked barrels (>3 exploding at same time)

Have done/am making some changes:
    - Spread out/reduce barrels
    - Removed craters from most explosions (Commando Nuke still has it tho)
    - Trying to reduce the open spaces since SC2 has to 'draw' more content due to improved sight
    - Space out spawns a bit more
    - Trying to reduce quantity of mobs and replace with beefier ones or more challenging ones
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I find generally that if you camp on high ground, fps drops drastically as mob AI goes mental.

Try this:
    Triger MB in NM and then run up the north airlock wall. Spawns will not even bother to come your way but your fps will go to 0-1 for everyone until at least one of you steps to ground level.

Similarly, doing Apollo with gates closed from outside Apollo as the same/similar effect especially if you also didn't break the rocks inside.

But yea, lag forest due to the wiggling white cocoons and PsiOps foresight aura display is what really kills FPS.
  7. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Usually some drop (Slight, but there) during Mine Site Epsilon's hold out. Happens generally right after the download finishes and the ambush starts. After that initial wave I don't have any problems.

No screenshots as I can't play right now.
  8. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Is that because the viable map just expanded to maximum?
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Maybe. Might just be the effect of the map snapping to full and everything that is "Offmap" being fed into the game all at once.
  10. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

@ArcturusV, There is some slight Lag after Firing off Shiva as well, but that can't be helped as much.

For the Offmap, instead of radically scrolling out, it should slowly go to the maximum size.
  11. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Just now in a 1672SR recruit pub.

Friend and me go hunt Menoetes at Armory while the remaining 6 players stayed at Airlock muta camp. Once 2 of them died, the game started lagging like mad for everyone with FPS down to nothing, probably because the game was alternating between sending (pathing) spawns our way vs their way. This was particularly laggy because they were on a double height which means they had lower spawn attack priority compared to us at ground level and the pathing for creeps to go throughc countless rocks and locked gates between the 2 groups essentially killed everyone's FPS.

Yes of course, you can always stay together and it won't happen, but I think the pathing AI and the force send AI during those waves needs to be optimized somehow.
  12. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

There is currently extreme lag for everyone possibly due to scripts firing at the following points:
    30 seconds after tart/elly dies
    10 seconds after ere1 is defeated
    Right before black ops talking heads appear and "Apollo hides something..."

Those started occuring maybe 1-1.5 months ago, not before then
  13. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Moving this to NOTD Discussion.
  14. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

Heh... I WOULD try to post pics of where my fps is below average, but...

Lets just say last nights nightmare run, I was relieved to see my fps hit 5. My fps was hitting 1 far too often, and 0 every now and then. Shame I cant post a "through my eyes" screen shot.
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

His FPS was 1 all throughout domes, it cost us the team.
  16. poor_newb

poor_newb Member

I don't have screenshots but in survival the argon wave after erebros and hugger (wave 24?) was a bit laggy, usually resulted in someones death

we didnt fight the erebros and just ran past them, maybe that has something to do with it?
  17. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Did u open apollo gates? Sometimes the sheer mass of units trapped in the city is enough to cause unit lag.
  18. poor_newb

poor_newb Member

didnt open the gates, the lag happens at the moment when the argons pop out, it settles down after that
  19. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

- Off the top of my head, Erebos fights usually cost Fps from meatoritesrops and the introduction of l
    Creep
    - Killing Kenny results on an FPS drop, mine went from 21 to 2.(I had lag that entire game, average Fps was 22-ish)
  20. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

We just lost an NA-SEA Survival because of a tremendous lag spike at the start of the Broken Arrow wave. It caused literally half the team to be cut down by Brood Mothers before we could physically react.