fox's Bank File Backup/Restoration Guide

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

That is true; thus if NOTD2 ever comes to fruition; it could read your old NOTD stats :p
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Yup, please use Vigil to backup your bank too. Mirage, it needs a more user friendly guide. Or at least more documentation on the App itself on how the backup should work.
  3. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

You mixed up the NA & EU one's :/

My banks are in 1-S2-1-1557547, and I'm exclusively NA.
  4. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

1-S2-XX is NA
    2-S2-XX is EU
    so yes i mixed that up
  5. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

Yep, all the folder name for each regions are fixed.

NA = 1-S2-1-1557547
    SEA = 6-S2-1-122389
    EU = 2-S2-1-1535419
    KR/TW = 3-S2-2-1091238

Vigil have the bank auto-detect, not too worry.
  6. Mirage
    • Donator

What the deuce is KR/TW?

Vigil ain't written for that :p
  7. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

For any OS X 10.8+ users, in order to find your /library/applicationsupport you need to 'unhide' it in Finder. This is necessary to browse SCII support files like replays and bank files, as these are often set as system files and therefore do not appear in Spotlight or other searches. See below.

Make the Library Visible Permanently

Apple hides the Library folder by setting a file system flag associated with the folder. Any folder on your Mac can have its visibility flag turned on or off; Apple just chose to set the Library folder's visibility flag to the off state. To reset the visibility flag, do the following:
    • Launch Terminal, located at /Applications/Utilities.
    • Enter the following command at the Terminal prompt:
      Code:
      chflags nohidden ~/Library/
    • Once the command is executed, you can quit Terminal. The Library folder will now be visible in the Finder.
    • Should you ever wish to set the Library folder back to its default hidden state in OS X Lion, simply launch Terminal and issue the following Terminal command:
      Code:
      chflags hidden ~/Library

Unhide the Library Folder, the Apple Way
    1. With either the desktop or a Finder window as the front most application, hold down the option key and select the Go menu.
    2. The Library folder will be listed as one of the items in the Go menu.
    3. Select Library, and a Finder window will open showing the contents of the Library folder.
    4. If you close the Library folder's Finder window, the folder will once again be hidden from view.
  8. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

Actually usually its:
    sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library
    enter password
    For the latest mac os x's.
  9. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

I am on 10.8.3.

Good note. I was on the root.
  10. Luke Neri

Luke Neri Well-Known Member

I got a few questions for anyone who can help, would be awesome :(. I started playing way back when bob was still a class, I got about 6-7k xp then quit back in early 2011 i believe cause I had to go to university. Now I just recently got my old hard drive again and its got banks labeled (below) that I would really like to restore.

NOTDBackup.SC2Bank 2-18-2012
    notdv003.SC2Bank -2-18-2012

I also found older banks from when I started playing earlier

NOTDBackup.SC2Bank 4-27-2011
    notdv003.SC2Bank 4-27-2011

I tried just copy pasting both backups (not together, at different times after the first one didn't work) right into my new hardrive-documents-users-banks-etc, but instead of starting at my old xp, I'm right at 0xp. I tried copying to desktop folders first, I tried it many times and nothing worked, still stuck at 0 :(.
    Since its from a while ago, do I need to change any folder names? Do I need to complete one game first before it saves over? Anything advice would be amazing and much appreciated.
  11. Mirage
    • Donator

That bank format is deprecated so unfortunately for you, you're gonna have to start over.

The good news however, is that XP is much easier to gain these days.
  12. Hades

Hades Member

13. komodoh

komodoh New Member

I had my thing backed on my hardrive but recently lost me entire hardrive any hope getting anyhting back or least giviing me exp lol
  14. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

Nope, not possible, back up in more than 1 places, use online cloud storage or whatever, e.g. google drive.
  15. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The contents of fox's first post is missing?
  16. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Here's the original content of the post, maybe a moderator can merge this info into the first post so it's relevant...

Original Guide Below But..

Vigil can do all the backup/restore for you.

If you don't want to, then Fox's is below and contains everything you need to do it yourself. - Mirage

Thank you Blaqk for restoring the Guide! A fine example of how important it is to back up regularly.

I have reformatted the Guide just like before. Let this thread serve the community a bit longer until online bank takes over....

===================================================
    Bank File Backup

Your NOTD bank file is saved locally on your hard disk. It is always a good idea to make backups at regular intervals (every week, every month, every 1k xp etc).

Restoring your bank file from a back up is by far the easiest and safest way in case of data corruption or even hard disk failure, with a small cost. The more frequent you back up your bank file, the less xp/medals you will lose.

WINDOWS XP/Vista/7

I will use Windows XP as example in this guide. Windows Vista/7 users may find it at a slightly different location. If you cannot find the bank file in the folder listed below, try searching for "notdbank5.sc2bank" (Start ---> Search).

Your NOTD bank file is stored at the following location:

My Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts\xxxxxxxxx\N-S2-1-xxxxxx\Banks\N-S2-1-xxxxxx

where x stands for a series of random numbers specific for your user profile on bnet and very importantly, N stands for the region of that specific user profile. If you play on more than 1 server, you will have to take extra care so that you don't accidentally overwrite the wrong files.

For example, for a user who plays on both SEA and NA server, his profiles will be stored under:

SEA: 6-S2-1-xxxxxx
    NA: 1-S2-1-xxxxxx
    EU: 2-S2-1-xxxxxx

This information is vital if you want to synchronise your NOTD bank files between 2 servers.

You will find 2 files in the aforementioned folders:

notdbank5.sc2bank
    NOTDBackup.SC2Bank

These are your notd bank files and its automatically generated backup. The auto-generated backup is usually lagging behind your bank file in time (by one -s) to provide you with a safety net should trouble occurs. It is advisable that you backup both files at regular intervals as previously mentioned.

Mac OS

For mac its a similar process:

Go to Finder

1) User Name --> Library --> Application Support --> Blizzard --> Starcraft II --> Accounts --> Serial1 --> Region-S2-1-Serial2 --> Banks
    (For region information refer to Windows section)

2) Once in Banks: Click on individual folders to locate the specific files for NoTD (notdbank5.sc2bank and NOTDBackup.SC2Bank)

If you cannot find the bank file in the location mentioned above, try searching for "notdbank5.sc2bank"

Note: Some OS X users may have trouble locating the file due to it's HIDDEN attribute. Try the following steps (contributed by Corto):

1) Type CMD + F in Finder
    2) Enter "notd" in the search box
    3) Click on "Kind" and scroll down and click on "Other...". In the resulting pop-up select "System files" and choose "Include".

Things to note when you back up the bank files:

1) Do NOT backup the files to the same hard drive. This only gives you a false sense of security. A disc failure will wipe out both the original and your backup, leaving you with nothing to recover from.

2) Backup to a removable media is advisable, eg USB stick, CD/DVD or external hard disks. Another good method suggested by Ability is to email yourself the files, since the file size are relatively low. If you do not want to create a new folder, you can always rename your previous backups instead.

3) Backup BOTH files just in case 1 of them is already corrupted at the time of backup.

4) Do NOT overwrite your previous backup. Make a new folder called something like "NOTD-yyyy-mm-dd" and backup your bank there. The bank files are so small in size (under 1k each) and you should not be stingy about hard drive space when it comes to backing up your files.

5) Name your backup folders smartly. Put something recognisable into the folder name eg "NOTD-yyyy-mm-dd-20k" so that you dont have to manually load up the bank file in game just to see what xp/medals you have. Something like this:

[​IMG]

Bank File Restoration/Recovery

OK now the scary part......

I hope you won't ever have to use this but stuff happens according to Murphy's Law. And that's what this little article is here for. Here we go....

The restoration section will be presented in flow chart style. Please follow the order to minimise your xp/medal loss.

1) Have you saved/autosaved more than once?

If Yes proceed step 2.

If No:
    Locate the NOTDBackup.SC2Bank in your bank folder (see Bank File Backup section for folder location). Make a copy of this file and save it somewhere else just in case. Now rename the NOTDBackup.SC2Bank in your bank folder to notdbank5.sc2bank and see if it works. If not, proceed to step 2.

2) Do you have a regular backup of bank files?

If Yes:
    Copy your backup files into the bank folder (see Bank File Backup section for folder location). Choose Yes when asked whether to overwrite existing files or not. Load a game of NOTD and see if it works. If not, proceed to step 3.

If No, proceed to step 3.

3) Do you play on more than one region?

If Yes:
    Copy your bank files from another region to replace the corrupted file. For region information refer to Bank File Backup section.

If No, proceed to step 4.

4) Did you delete the bank files accidentally?

If Yes:
    Try a 3rd party data recovery program. I personally recommend Pandora Recovery, which is free and can be downloaded from CNET download.com. Run Pandora and see if you can locate the deleted bank files (refer to Bank File Backup section for folder/file name).

If No, proceed to step 5.

5) Are you using Windows 7?
    If Yes:
    Locate your bank file folder (refer to Bank File Backup section if you are unsure how to do this).
    In the folder, right-click on your bank file (notdbank5.sc2bank) and select "Properties."
    In the Properties screen go to "Previous Versions" tab.
    Under the "File Versions" list, choose the first available backup closest to date (ie you lose less xp/$$) and hit "Restore." Now go try NOTD and see if it's working for you. If this file is corrupted too, ie file is already corrupt when backed up automatically by Win7, choose a back up from earlier date.
    Note that this option is only available if you have set up Automatic Backup in Windows 7. If you haven't done it yet, go do it now and it'll save you tons of headache should crap happen. Just Google it if you are unsure how to do this.

If No, proceed to Step 6.

6) Did you have a hard drive failure?

If Yes:
    Warning! The following is recommended for experts only! System failure may occur if not carried out properly! Ask a friend to do it if you're not comfortable about opening computer chassis and removing/installing parts.
    Try removing the failed hard drive and plug it into another computer (via either internal connectors or external usb connection). You may be able to recover lost data sometimes.

If No:
    Well.....there's nothing I can think of at the moment that will restore your bank files. A lesson to be learned here is to BACK UP REGULARLY!

[Update Logs]

2012-04-07:
    -Added region code for EU server (thank you Ability)

2012-02-25:
    -Replaced old bank file system notdv003.SC2Bank with notdbank5.sc2bank to reflect recent changes
    -Minor edits

2012-02-18:
    -Thread restored and reformatted as the original (special thanks to Blaqk for providing the backup)
    -Added additional restoration option (Step#5) for Windows 7

2011-09-08:
    -Added additional note to Mac OS section (contributed by Corto)
    -Minor edits

2011-07-12:
    -Minor formatting

2011-05-29:
    -Added Mac section (special thanks to chanlionROAR)
    -Minor formatting
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Thread restored.