Forward Observer 2.0

Discussion in 'Canceled Content' started by Kith, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Aerojelly
    • Donator

Aerojelly Aeroplane Jelly For Meeeeeeeeeeeeee

Nice work~

Some random (incredibly subjective) observations:
    Artillery Tree
    - I feel silly asking, but do all artillery strikes cause friendly fire, or only those in Tier 3? I only mention this as Rods and Overwatch explicitly state friendly fire whereas the previous artillery abilities do not.
    - I like not having to stress about shell management any more~
    - Is there an upper limit to Horde Spawn Cooldown reduction? I feel like this would be another form of management of sorts... until cooldown is 0 secs and then Arty 24/7
    - On paper, I feel like the more useful skills are Precision 1,2; Effective 1,2,3; Spec Ammo 1; AdvTgt 1 & w/e Tier 3. Precision 3 (Impact delay reduction) feels slightly weak by itself as players learn the timings / have a team that can stun/lure, while Tier 2 Lvl 2's feel... a tad too specialized towards slow/stationery targets (I'd just shell 20) or horde-thinning (alternately use shell 5 and 10) respectively. All theory-crafting of course, and come actual play time my opinion will probably change :)
    - Do all abilities requiring shells fall under the same cooldown? ie Can I use 1, 5, 10 and 20 shells consecutively, or would I have to wait for Point Strike's cd first before I use Light Salvo/Bombardment/etc?
    - While Rods feels more useful for End Boss scenarios, I want to use Overwatch because of “The sky is falling! The sky is falling!”

Fireteam Tree
    - Tbh skimmed the section since I'm used to AM FO more ^__^;;
    - Infantry Flamethrower section has a ?typo. Effect: An Infantry Stormtrooper arrives via Drop Pod.
    - I approve of Medic within FO~ Both of my favs rolled into one.
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Do you know any?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Yes, they do. I just forgot to add the Friendly Fire text.
    It is another form of management. It's just far less limited than the Shell Count mechanic. That said, no - there is no upper limit to the cooldown reduction, and if the FO player isn't careful they can get multiple hordes going at once.
    Delay Reduction and Global Range were shoved into Level 3 for the two Artillery skills because, realistically, they're not that important - a player who is familiar enough with the Forward Observer can get by without both rather easily. As for the Tier 2 Level 2s, they exist for customizing the player's barrages to their tastes, which is not only a feature, but an important balancing factor. Being able to alter the shape and timing of one's barrages adds a lot more nuance to the tree than most players realize due to the need for absolute efficiency - the Forward Observer's abilities summon additional enemies if they're overused, so tuning your barrages to be exactly what you need at the time instead of just dropping 20 shells on every problem is extremely important.
    The cooldowns are entirely separate.
    Will fix, thank you.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I just realized, I never asked the all-important question:

Are there roofs that obstruct the arrival of Artillery Shells?
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

First thing in the Artillery tree.
  6. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dem Flimsy Roofs....
  7. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

With the mini modes,

Do abilities go off cooldown if they are using a different mode?

IE, use HVHM, switch to Defense, switch back to Tac to shoot HVHM again.
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Nope. Cooldowns are independent of the currently applied Command. The only thing that the Commands dictate is access to the abilities themselves, so it's possible to swap between them if you want to use two abilities in rapid succession.
  9. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Oh right. I remember calling you crazy when you first told me about this.

I still stand by that statement. This is really well done but I don't envy you for having to balance this later on.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

What are you talking about? It's already balanced. :confused:
  11. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

pl0t twist
  12. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Revising the end of my statement to "if you have to balance this later on". Also, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. No concept class will survive first contact with the 1000 CP super spammers.
  13. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

its balanced in theory but when it goes live there will of course be rebalancing to that effect is what your pointing out =).
  14. RoboMonkey

Hey Commy, u come up with an idea for the FO's class doodad? If not, I've got one i think you'll like :D
  15. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

doodad? and message me dont post in class goes of topic. =)
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Both of y'all missed the joke and I'm sad about that.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Changelog:
    • The Infantry Demolitions' Trip Flare ability has been replaced by Claymore Mine, a directional trap explosive. This is partially due to concerns that the Infantry Demolitions was lacking in the damage department and also due to the Demolitions Class gaining the Signal Flare ability.
  18. Yukitaka Oni

Yukitaka Oni Member

Unlimited shell for notd 1 too lol
  19. RoboMonkey

GG Claymores... Hooray for Directional Explosives!
  20. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

If only I have a second keyboard, I'll definitely use it for FO exclusively.