Forum Rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyanden, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Where are they?

Would certainly help the community I think.

If they're in the old forums, then can we please have a sticky of that here?

If we do not have one, could a clear and specific criteria be given on acceptable posts?

I ask for specificity because this is the internet, we're communicating in text format and some meanings can be lost along the way.

Of note, I would like to know what constitutes as legal to post and not legal to post in the general discussions section of the forums.

From what I've seen in my slightly lengthy existence in the NOTD forums, the things that warrant thread termination are

1. Troll threads directed at a specific member of the community (and even then there have been exceptions that were allowed to live on).

Troll threads are ok, if they are simply for the sake of being funny/humorous.

2. Hate threads/ones with a derogatory purpose in mind or those that were made to spurn ire.

I also noticed that threads that have specific issues discussed (whether NOTD related or not) that are marred by internet "fights" are allowed to continue and serve their purpose. The posts however, that contain the quarrels themselves are pruned from the tree which I believe helps in keeping order. But again, the "tree" is allowed to live on.

I seek to be enlightened, and I believe others would too.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I would imagine that the thread you likely refer to was axed as a result of excessive explicit language and a derogatory thread premise "things X will never understand" with a holier than thou opening post.

While some (male) may find that funny because the thread starter is presumably female, it does not change that it was rather filled with spam and inappropriate posts which were mostly sexist.

On most respectable fora, that thread would likely have faced a similar demise.

I do not feel there needs to be a written rule, use common sense rather, that people should treat each other with respect when posting and avoid offending those who may be reading the thread but not directly involved in it. In a sense, use the judgment "would I be willing to say this during break at work with my boss/clients present?"
  3. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

The rules of the forum are quite simple
    • All threads created must be relevant to their respective Discussion thread (NOTD and General)
    • Content within threads and posts must be suitable to all users (Appeals to all genders, races and ages)
    • Language usage and diction are key. If a thread is created to adress a matter or concern but the language usage is poor then the thread will be overlooked or removed.
    • No advertising, religious views, racism, directed-hate, real-life threats, explicit exposure and harsh language will be accepted. (Though the harsh language does slip by on several occasions)

Simply, be mature and discuss whatever you want which is not labeled as R-Rated/PG18 or whatever the case may be. You can PM whatever you want but publicly keep it away. Anyone can come to this site and view it, in the end we do not want to offend anyone or scar an innocent viewer.
  4. Lyanden

What of this then?

Compared to the thread you are referring to, which may or may not (you would truly never know unless you asked the OP) have been posted for genuine discussion to contribute to the community, this appears to contain

explicit language
    has a
    derogatory thread premise
    filled with spam and inappropriate posts which were mostly
    in this case, racist(may or may not be at par with sexist?)

and if taken to literally be an 'X country sucks' thread, would be much more offensive.

I will apologize though, and not for posting in the recently Kith-fied post, but because I was consulted (I'm not sure if I was the only one) on whether it would be ok to post a thread concerning 'understanding the female psyche/habbits' before said post was made and said "that sounds alright" without asking for the specific contents that would go into the initial post.

As it is, I'm under the impression that had the 1st post contained the same content but had been worded differently, things would not taken the direction it had.
  5. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Wow...

Well since it hasn't been axed by one of the "more iron fisted" Mods it must be doing something right. :s I don't approve whats going on in that thread but what I posted earlier is pretty much basic forum rules. Thus far also, no one has complained or reported anything about the thread so myeah...

As history will teach us, things on this forum have the amazing ability to ALWAYS go off-topic. This thread will fall victim pretty soon.
  6. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Lyanden quit defending that stupid topic. The topic was left open so the community could dump it's stupidity into it.

I wanted to get rid of that thread and I'm glad the newest cesspool of garbage is gone as well.

Some things are offensive and some things are SURPRISINGLY less offensive. Do not ask me why because I do not know; however, I can do away with that thread to make things fair if that's your aim.

I'm very close to losing my mind over this.
  7. Lyanden

To be clear, I'm not exactly defending the topic.

Again,

8. Shooz
    • Donator

Reaper and Ghost said it pretty well. Also, If you want a straight up list of rules. Go to 4Chan, and while you're there, you can deal with those assholes and their posting procedures. You can also deal with how they ban.

If I modded the way they did, we wouldn't have members here to post anything. Do you really need a strict book of rules or can you just accept that sometimes, some things aren't ok with the forum team.

Can you accept that or do you really want the implication of a strict rule-set?
  9. Lyanden

that's all everyone may need to know about the forums I think.

Thanks for being upfront about it.
  10. Shooz
    • Donator

It takes a while to get to the point. I ramble occasionally but, no one should feel centered out or as if they're being oppressed for posting something that gets demolished or closed or w/e.

I'm trying to paint the nicest picture I can of the forum for the public. Staying on topic, using common sense(which resides in your brain), and being respectful of others as much as you can, help out greatly and I'll thank everyone to try to do that as much as you can.

Remember if you post something controversial, It might just poof because it's not ok by someone.
  11. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

In regards to The Evil Aussy Thread I made that thread with the sole intention of trolling a fellow community member because of our close relationship with one another. In essence if anyone was to feel humiliated, embarassed, insulted, or anything negative by that thread then I was to get one of the mods to close it as soon as possible. In addition, I did consult with one of the mods before creating that thread and the mod told me that if anyone was to feel any negativity towards that thread then I was to take the appropriate action.

That thread had no intention of going controversial, but was solely for humor related purposes kind of like The Teen Wolf Thread, but I felt it was going off topic and heading into Danger zone. Thus, I closed the thread before any fire could have been started.
  12. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

When will users be warned for using words like fag, faggot and the other discriminatory words?
  13. Shooz
    • Donator

When it becomes offensive or if it seems to go from joking into discrimination.
  14. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Can we just keep all the in-joke trolling and stuff on Vent/chat-channels where most of this is clearly originating from? Bringing it from a semi-private platform to a completely public forum loses a lot of its context as well as potentially offending other people that are not privy to all the background shit that happened beforehand.
  15. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

In my experience the rules of the general discussion forum have basically been post whatever until someone complains at which point a mod will look at the thread, decide to lock and/or delete it, and ban and/or warn involved parties. Which basically means that if you have an issue with a thread, tell a mod and they'll deal with it. If you don't really have an issue with a thread, let people have their fun.
  16. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread, due to the recent rash of locked threads. It seems people should take another look at this, and creating a whole new thread when there's a perfectly good one right here just seemed silly.
  17. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

We don't need any Player's blacklist-esque threads.

Because that is the final stage of any attempted list that try's to alert people of griefs etc.

Summarized, that thread just reports anyone who may/may not have TK'd intentionally, and as a result killed someone.

On the first page, there was an argument over starting Band-aids, and the ocular implants at the Apollo Mining Site.

Then on the second page is a self-proclaimed moderator.

Then on the third page, a TK over the chaingun by a rifleman.

You get the idea. Don't make a thread like it.