Forum Migration Upcoming

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mirage, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Want a Peak?

It is likely in the coming future that we will be moving over to a completely new forum (which will also replace the homepage in all liklihood)

The likely replacement is going to probably be Xenforo

Why this move?
    • MyBB isn't all that easy to add things to, Xenforo has 'PHP Callbacks' littered just about everywhere in the options to allow things to more easily be added.
    • Xenforo has Native donation support, because rather then boiling away time trying to shoehorn the current broken donation plugin into doing what we want, it's easier to have a baked in solution.
    • Its much easier to embed custom feeds in the sides of the page and such, as well as making it easier for non-web-developers to add new pages without a ton of HTML work.

For an example of a website already using this forum software take a look here.
    http://8wayrun.com/

UPDATE!
    Mod's we're swinging for right off the bat.

Test Forum (Import'd Yeaah!)
    http://notd.ephemeraldevelopment.com/index.php

We're looking for input here, so feel free to give input on this; if you can offer a better alternative then it'll be considered, so fire away.

What I know breaks in the transfer..
    • Reputation (Calm down, i'll create a script to transfer this stuff into XF's 'Likes' and trophies)
    • User Groups; mind you I don't see this being much of a problem since it's quite an easy fix.
    • Possibly Attachments/Avatars, I won't know because I don't feel like transferring a crapton of that data over to my server to test, but seriously people, replacing your avatar with a copy won't kill you. :p

Additionally some BBCode's are changed in XF forum, example would be..

Code:
    [align=center]
    is just
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

RE: Forum Migration Possibility Upcoming

If this forum gets archived, I'm all for it.

Wishlist:
    Preserving people's postcounts
    Preserving people's reputations
  3. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

You can imagine Niteshade's reaction when we migrated to this current forum from the old one. He had lost over 150 reputation plus his post counts among other things as well.
  4. Mirage
    • Donator

Well it'll be a double translation of this -> phpbb -> xenforo (since there's no direct migration) as I understand the one thing that may break down is some attachment stuff, but I think we can survive that :D

So the planned migration strategy is as follows.

Setup new forum as defaults and such
    Configure everything to as we want (Styles and such)
    Lock old forum for the move and copy/transform to new database stuff.
    If successful new forum goes live, if there's an issue then I'll unlock existing forum until i've got everything moved over.

Kith, Xenforo has a likes/trophies based rep system, I don't believe it can have negatives.
    http://xenforo.com/community/help/trophies

Although there are plugins to get around this, I'll work on it as a secondary objective. :eek:

But I think the trophy thing is actually better then rep :p
  5. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

I WANT POLLS ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE FORUMS!!!

It is an easy and effective method to get fast, direct and simple feedback / perspectives from the users of the NOTD Community.

Similar to this website = http://www.operationsports.com/

Example of a poll on the front page of their forum:
    [​IMG]

Previous polls are then stored in a thread in the forum which can be accessible at anytime and results and comments will be forever saved.

Like this = http://www.operationsports.com/forums/f ... ndex2.html
  6. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

I guess u never visited the wiki.
  7. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Ofc I visited the wiki. Which FYI is completely separate to the forums.
  8. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Please give more inputs on this. I'll have to invest at least US$140/year on this (one-time only if we don't want continued support). Our current forum (myBB) is free. It needs to be a meaningful change for us to do this.
  9. Carlboison

Carlboison Well-Known Member

Mirage said that it would be easier for non-web-developers to add new pages without a ton of HTML work.

Does this means that anyone would be able to edit it?
  10. Mirage
    • Donator

No, mostly staff.

Although in the future with it, it may be possible for users or people in the community with privileges to add to the pages in a limited fashion.
  11. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

In the event that we would migrate to a new forum, we would need the funds to do so via donations. We currently only have enough to support our Mumble server.
  12. Mirage
    • Donator

That's already dealt with behind the scenes Shooz. :D
  13. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Quick question regarding forum trinkets and toys before the migration. Is it possible to have a small window showing who's on the Mumble server as well as a quick join server option like this: http://theascended.enjin.com/ (scroll down slightly, its on the left hand column). (That's my Planetside2 main's outfit if you're wondering.)

It would help with quickly seeing who's online on Mumble and whether there's anything going on at the time. I know that forum uses TS3, just wondering if its possible for Mumble.
  14. Mirage
    • Donator

Yes, in fact that was one of the reasons behind the switch, its rather easy to embed that into Xenforo as compared to MyBB, currently its only on the main page for just that reason.
  15. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Well-Known Member

I think this would be a great idea, and I would love this a lot. Though the only thing I can say about it is, do you the staff need to sink that much money into the forums right now/in the next few months (I'm assuming the latter for the transition)? I love the idea a lot, being able to support a community in more ways than just posts is great.
  16. Mirage
    • Donator

Its just the one deposit for the license and the donation paypal has sufficient funds for it, and with what I've been asked to do with the current forums (and how irritating it is to do some of the things) its more efficient for time to switch to a more powerful forum solution, and then the thing shooz has been yelling at me to get working (the donation bar) will actually be ever so easy to get going.
  17. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Well-Known Member

Well, if that is the solution you see as best, I have absolutely no problem with it!
  18. Mirage
    • Donator

Testing the port now on my own site with a copy of NOTD's database.

Remind me to kick whoseevers ass decided to fuck with a poll by hand and make an amount of votes 99999999, which mad ehte conversion process explode.

Additionally, test import succeeded (as far as I can see, yes I know rep is gone; but I will work up my own script to deal with that, calm your tits)

http://notd.ephemeraldevelopment.com/index.php

Give me input on how the import looks completion wise, avatars may or may not be there in the REAL import (I didn't feel like transfering craptons of attachments to my server for this test, sorry lol?)
  19. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Well, only Moderators and up could fuck around with poll numbers, so your potential list of candidates' ass to kick is limited to like 10.
  20. Mirage
    • Donator

Yep.. And I plan to track them down because it got in my goddamn way..

But otherwise successful aside from user groups, but I can fix that in like 15 minutes by hand. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.