Forum Bots

Discussion in 'Online Operations' started by Shooz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

The bots are being handled for now. We'll keep them banned and their heretical messages erased from our view until we have a stable registration security system in place to prevent their ability to be here at all.

Bear with us as we get settled in guys.
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

RE: Forum Bots.

Are bots still coming through? I'm not seeing anymore spam or banned accounts but wanted to make sure.
  4. Shooz
    • Donator

I banned about 10 yesterday. I haven't seen any recently though.
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

A few still seem to register, though not post yet.

Also two not banned yet (I think they are bots anyway):
    detourdirect
    Headlitte
  6. Shooz
    • Donator

Detour is a part of Clan_UniT. He's an old member, one of our rifleman trappers.
  7. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Can we please set something up to automatically send each new member a message upon joining that they have 24 hours to make a post (preferably in the New Members Introduction thread) or be banned?
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Unfortunately, doing that wont help reduce server impact from cluttered accounts and might actually discourage lurkers from registering. I'll see about convincing Ability of allowing accounts that remain inactive for 6 months with fewer than 50 posts to be deleted.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Ah I see, didn't remember seeing that name on the old board and thename just sounds like some online company :D

In terms of new members thread, I think old members are unlikely to post there to introduce themselves even if they choose a new name. But we could have some sort of system for checking.

-

Blaqk:
    50 posts is actually a lot for many lurkers. I would ideally aim for say prune all members with fewer than 4 posts and a registration date of at least 3 months ago.
  10. Ramses II
    • Donator

Why does a lurker actually have to be a member? Guests can view the forum, and as soon as they see something they want to make a post about they can make an account, and then make that post (which will then keep them from being automatically banned).
  11. Shooz
    • Donator

The conversation isnt going to go anywhere and this isnt about banning people for not posting, stay on topic. This is for reporting forum bots and for the mods to keep ability updated on how many we've banned so that he can devise plans to prevent them from being here.

Please don't post if it isn't about the bots.
  12. Ramses II
    • Donator

The purpose of my idea was to create an easy way to prevent the problem the previous forum had with ~12k bots sitting with 0 posts.
  13. Shooz
    • Donator

Understandable, make a thread about that in the BO board and we can discuss it in depth there. Like I said, this thread is for mods to report to ability so he can gauge the severity of the bot influx and what security measures need to be put in place.
  14. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Bots look relatively dead for now. Please let us know if you still see any issues.
  15. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Several new bot registrations in the last 24 hours. None of them have posted however. Seems to be the non-posting type of bots.

A bit older:
    Bot1
    Bot2

New:
    Bot3
    Bot4
    Bot5
  16. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Hmm...names look bot-ty. Should I delete?
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Move them to the "Spambot" group. If they don't appeal by the time they're ready to be purged then nothing of value was lost.
  18. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

19. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

20. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks. Deleted his account.