Forum avatars and signatures

Discussion in 'Online Operations' started by Clown, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

I have to note that 10 kb for an avatar is downright miserly. And not allowing images as signatures at all? :huh:

Might we increase the max file size for avatars? Not even asking for larger max dimensions, just larger file size to 50 kb?

Also consider allowing images of a certain dimension as signatures? I'm sure we've all seen signature bars and signature-sized images before... Things like 72x300 or 175x250 etc. Here are some, in case you are unfamiliar with the concept...
  2. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

*Is immune to Signature Cap*
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

I am hardly unfamiliar with the concept.

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

However, understand that the NOTD Website and Forum share a single host, and both receive a shocking amount of traffic for a StarCraft 2 mod. Since Blueberry's budget for internets is small as it comes from the pockets of their staff, we have to keep server load as light as possible, which is why the cap for avatars and the restrictions on signatures is in place. In addition, images in signatures are rarely refined and aesthetically relevant, and we want to keep clutter in threads minimal. Thus, there will not be images in signatures. However, we may use that space for something else in the future.

As for avatars, I meant to increase the size cap to 20kb a few weeks ago and just plain forgot. I'll fix that now. If you still can't get under the 20kb cap, then you're doing it wrong. Crop your image to 100x100 pixels and if you're still over, save it as a JPEG and adjust the compression to find a good balance between size and quality.
  4. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

Word. Going under 20 kb is fine for an image that small. Thanks, Blaqk!

I'm glad to hear that the site gets a shocking amount of traffic. ^_^ And I can commiserate on keeping server loads light... I have to maintain a few websites of my own.