Focus Fire as a toggle

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I certainly wouldn't mind it being an autocast for people with less than 500 XP, or even 1000 XP if we're feeling generous. The concept is very reminiscent of the Automated Combat Assistance for privates from :AM that helped people kite and automatically used any shotguns that were equipped.
  2. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

+1
  3. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

That's a great idea to help new players. I would set it for players with less than 500xp personally (1000xp seems quite a lot).
  4. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Yeah but even at 1000xp they're still learning A LOT. No one can possibly have class mastery of anything before 2000, so maybe even make it 1250 or something to let them do a few early AC games with the benefit. Or just leave it at 500 and tell them to man up and learn, whatever. I guess I don't have any strong opinions about the exp cut-off.
  5. Thermidor

To be honest, I'm not terribly bothered about the exp cut-off either, it was just a personal opinion I had on it. I know they wouldn't have mastered a class before 2k but I'd rather this be used as really early training wheels rather than anything close to class mastery. Also, it's better to not let them get too used to it.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

This new and improved ACA could also extend to the Medic with Surgical Laser. Not as a tool for healing, but have it cast on OW'd/Crippled players.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Ginger Gerald

Ginger Gerald Well-Known Member

I don't know how I feel about Roflman with an autocast for lower XP players, but I think having one for Medics is just stupid to me. It's their job, its a big reason they're useful, and they should learn how to use it on their own, there will be no assistance in higher level games. An ignored or unnoticed cripple can be potentially fatal, OW, not so much unless you just took several massive attacks to the face that you could've ignored.

Cripple is also what I find to be one of the rarer ailments in public games, usually only being given through extensive damage, usually by bosses, or Menos who only shows up in higher SQ games.

Medics need to learn things like OW and Venom. People who die to open wounds in pubs, (the people you're somewhat aiming this at) are usually the ones who were ill prepared and didn't pick up one of the numerous piles of bandages, and as such, deserve their death.
  8. Scorpione

Don't agree with medic auto casting anything.
  9. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Well I mean, for their first few games it wouldn't hurt because that way the team wouldn't have to go ape-shit yelling at the medic to do something while they're busy learning the idea of "STOP GETTING HIT." The only issue I see with it is energy draining (basically make sure it only auto-casts for ailments, not actual healing) and "agro" behavior (make sure it won't cause the medic to move (make sure it only enters the auto-cast behavior when already in range of the spell)).

Keep in mind, these new updates won't have much of any effect to all of us already playing (except maybe DLINK because he keeps resetting his bank >.>), but more for all the new players who have that tremendous learning curve to deal with...
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
  10. Thermidor

Auto-cast for Rifleman is good but I don't think it works as well for the Medic to be honest. It's energy draining and then there's the scenario of two teammates running to the Medic. One of the teammates has a stack of open wound but his health is in good condition, the other has quite a few stacks of open wounds and has cripple too and will bleed out in a few seconds. The generally healthy one gets to the Medic first and the surgical laser auto-cast kicks in and cures the guy with an open wound. However, the second guy clearly needed it more and due to the cooldown of the surgical laser, bleeds out and dies.
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Considering that, more often than not, vets scream at the newbie medics to "do their fucking job" (among other things), ACA for Medics is not out of line in my opinion. There's a lot to learn about NOTD in those early stages, and we have to start making concessions to make the newbie population A: more comfortable and B: better received by the veteran population.

During the Wednesday Night Sprites stream, nearly all of the NOTD vets in the channel were not only expecting, but hoping that the newbies would die. Anything that bridges the gap and makes newbies less of a target for contempt is good.

Therm, I see your point but that's a very specific situation that I can almost guarantee would happen less often than ACA saving someone or preventing a newbie from getting yelled at for not doing their jobs. Besides, Level 3 SL has an incredibly low cooldown - if the player dies within the span of a couple seconds because they got a ton of open wounds, perhaps it's their fault.
  12. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Not only that, auto-casting is training wheels; what you're talking about is actual player skill (somebody actually paying attention). At the very least something happened. It's not meant to be a perfect AI assist (unless we plan on incorporating a sort of AI feature to the armor suits, like Cortana or EGO (from Defiance), which I would be all for, primarily based on the possible awesomeness that could ensue), but only a crutch to keep the players in the game and effective while learning the 800 other things that they need to do to keep themselves alive.
  13. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

Or medic had 3beam what seems rather popular in NA and what i see ppl that met no advice yet do as well in eu where we try to punch into ppl that 3sl is superior in 90% of cases, and lvl1 laser cd is longass compared.
  14. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Back on topic guys. Roflman. If you want to discuss the pros/cons of medics getting autocast, please do so in another thread.

What's the current vote count on this autocast vs autocast at 500exp below vs keep as the same btw?
  15. Scorpione

500xp to a max of 2k xp. I don't think it should be higher than 2k personally.
  16. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

The thread took on a new issue: should we implement any sort of ai/auto-casting/assists at all for any classes for new players. It's not off topic (if you can only take the topic name at face value then kith can easily re-name the thread), and it's still productive.

Kith also might consider putting up a pole >.>
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Problem solved. Anyways.

That's still a pretty weak justification. One point in SL decreases the cooldown enormously.
  18. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Looks like I can't make a poll. Ugh.
  19. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I'm somewhat pro, but I think the auto-cast should increase energy cost of focus fire by 1 and be deactivatable with right click. This encourages newbies who feel comfortable with not dying to start trying to micro it themselves.