Fixed Fixing NOTD Replays

Discussion in 'Game Bugs' started by Ability, May 31, 2014.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Now that Rock the Cabinet deadline is complete, we are going to need all the resources we can get - from the Development Team and community - to help identify the root cause of replay issues and fix it. Replays are critical in a game and is something that needs to be fixed as a top priority.

We've been trying to fix this for the past 1 year and this now requires a more systematic approach. NOTD is a large map and going through a process of elimination can help us get closer to an answer.

ROOT CAUSE FOUND
    Changing Enemy Player Handicap after 20 seconds into the game is what's causing Replays to break. After disabling those Actions and testing EC/Alpha Hardened, Replays now work.

We are applying a fix to Replays by next patch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Do you want replays to go the full duration of the campaign? Or would we be able to go into a scenario, quickly run around a little, and go off of that?
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Just go into the scenario - play a few minutes and that's good to go. If it works, then I'd test the whole thing until Victory so see if there was a certain point that broke replays.
  4. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

I tested and said it long ago. Something related to difficulties breaks replays.

Every storyline replays work as long as squad rating is 1650 or less, the moment it goes to 1651 (and coincidentially diff goes from normal->hardened) replay bricks.
    1651 sr is also why 'some' recruit replays stop working.
    Writing -nm is also guaranteed to brick replay regardless of squad rating.

Sec / Surv solo 1511 rating attached. Do note that difficulty displayed by game for whatever reason shows 'pending' [it shows proper 'normal' with more people from what i remember].

Attached Files:

5. squish

squish Well-Known Member

So is it possible that the SR being 1651 and procing meno is what breaks the game? Or are there other things at the 1651 sr mark?
  6. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Niktos, thank you. I can easily narrow it down with that information.
  7. Marcus

Marcus Member

I can confirm that replays for hardened sec/ac/ec with various rate from 1707 till 1658 didnt work...they start to work when i reached 1645 rate. At this rate they worked for sec/ac/ec normal. But replay for ec/ac/sec nm dont work at this rate(1645).

Tests were just short time(aprx. 1 min).

Seems doesnt matter which scenario/class u have but something what have all common like increased spawns/unit hp/new behaviour could case it.

Edit:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary
    Replays that works

ec/ac/sec recruit rate<=1645(possibly 1650)
    ec/ac/sec normal rate<=1645(possibly 1650)
    Replays that dont work
    ec/ac/sec hardened rate>=1658(possibly 1651)
    ec/ac/sec nm any rate
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Aside from spelling mistakes in the variables, there's nothing with the Meno trigger that is out of the ordinary. The only other event at 1651 SR is Erebos' blind in vet/nm, but that doesn't explain Alpha Company or Sec Team's broken replays.
  9. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Here's the trigger for the SR validating menoetes spawn:
    if (((gv_nightmare == true) || (gv_squadRating > 1650))) {
    TriggerExecute(gt_Boss3SpawnMenoetes, true, false);

Going off of the fact that it's various difficulty related things Blaqk, Here's what I'd do. Use your test map, and make a backup of it now.

It's obviously something that nightmare triggers, since it activates EVERYTHING. What we need to do is find out which Squad Rating set it is that's doing this. When we find that, we can use your test map and find which SR trigger breaks everything. When we find that, we fix it.

I'd suggest making a 1200 rating bank and going up the tree of rating, 1500, 1550, 1600, so on so on with the Ctrl+H keystroke and replacing gv_squadRating > x))) with 1200 rating until replays don't work at a given point. Then we isolate which trigger it is by replacing the broken subset with higher ratings one at a time. Once we figure out exactly which trigger(s) it is, we can fix it.
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

I've already looked at that trigger. There's a few spelling mistakes (Menoestes) but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm going to poke at some other triggers while Battle.net decides to keep me offline and see what's up.
  11. squish

squish Well-Known Member

bnet borked so hard right now.
  12. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

bnet works for me fine yay, as for replays you need to make a time line of every event in order pick recruit i assume less triggers? ranging from 1500 +, then as you go down the list cross each one off after its been tested. Its long tiresome process but its bet way to achieve results if your up late ^.^.
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

As soon as the NA server is back up I'm going to patch my test map with some changes I've made. I found two universal triggers that might be the cause of our problem.
  14. meno trigger wont cause it as it is more than likely that the cause in all campaigns is the same, i guess you should check whats the trigger or change that is present in all those storylines and is activated by 1650+ rating or nm
    Edit: ninja'd
  15. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Same conclusions as Marcus. Have done several tests. Whatever is causing Replays to break, it's happening within the first 2 mins of game (I left all games after 2 mins to check Replays). So the problem definitely isn't in one of the Chapter triggers. It's also not about any specific NOTD class. It has to be a global setting/mechanic from Triggers/Data that executes within first 2 mins. We also confirm from multiple sources that the problem is Rating/Difficulty related and most likely not Storyline specific.

Tristan, need your help to test the following:
    1. Remove all bank file loading and test Nightmare mode
    2. Remove all squad rating/game difficulty validators from Data Editor - Validators
    3. Remove triggers that add Minerals to Players 9/13/14 (Eric is using Minerals as proxy for Squad Rating in Data Editor)
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  16. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Spoke more with Eric. Our main conclusion is that the act of changing game difficulty itself at first few minutes of game is what's causing replays to break. Recruit is fine because that's the default difficulty when game starts. We can test removing all difficulty change triggers - and possibly store difficulty using a proxy resource (like how Minerals count is used as a proxy for Squad Rating). Updating the first post with latest findings.
  17. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Very good news! We've identified the root cause of Replays breaking.

It's broken when the game applies a Player Handicap increase to Zombie players after 20 seconds. While it works in live games, it seems to break replays. It may be something Blizzard never factored in when designing Replays. I've disabled the Player Handicap changes on SEA server and tested Hardened EC/Alpha games with Replays working.

Eric will be writing a custom Behavior (attached to all enemies) and Catalog Write Function to check Rating difficulty to adjust Zombie HP via Data Editor instead. All Player Handicap changes will be removed once that's in. Will upload in next patch for additional testing.

upload_2014-6-1_16-48-41.png
    • A+ A+ x 1
  18. Marcus

Marcus Member

I suggest to test games till end if they werent for case there is some other thing that might cause replays to not work later. Hope there is not:).
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  19. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

Sorry, but didn't we verify that it only happens at >1650? The only difference between 1650 and 1550 is the Variable - Modify SpawnFactor: + 1. Unless Modifying the Player 13 and 14 handicap twice has anything to do with it...
  20. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The condition for 1550 also has No Newbie (all Players>500 XP). That is not often achieved, that's why most replays below 1650 worked. We already confirmed Player Handicap increase (reduction seems ok for replays) as the source of the problem and have reported to Blizzard too. Tristan will also be doing additional tests on his side.