Finishing Alpha

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

Wimps... :p
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Wasn't Alpha originally a shit-ton of Immortals then 4 bosses with almost no abilities?
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Something like that. IVAX was a king at one-shotting people and the name of the game was "kite him around the map". Thankfully, things have changed, and hopefully, this will add roughly the same amount of difficulty so the storylines aren't unbalanced.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Don't forget Ivax also got One shotted too. By an Assassin Marksman. poor_newb or poor_noob, don't recall the last segment of his name, as a Marksman with Master Marksman (600 damage shot) and a normal marksman Rifle instantly killed a 31k hp Ivax with One Shot, One kill, leading to holy shit amounts of marksmen in Alpha a while after he posted it.

IIRC, we estimated the damage to have been at 39k, through crack insane math with the only justifying factor being the fact that it indicated he dealt over 31k damage.

Then again, Ivax at one point summoned broken red dots and was a big marauder that occasionally cloaked.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

And shit mines everywhere and a whole bunch of other stuff. Yeah, I remember those days. Those were good days, even if they were bullshit in a lot of ways.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Bumping this and passing it to NOTD Discussion. Comment away, folks.
  7. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Do it kith! DO IT!
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

It's not as comprehensive as what I suggested a long time ago. But I like the general idea behind it. The only worry is the high armor of Nyx. Alpha Company tends to be short on Armor Avoiding/Boosted weapons like Lasers, HMGs, and Barretts. I mean I usually only find one barret. Two lasers. One HMG in it. So having a 20 Armor boss seems kinda bleh. It's not like Sec where you have the Devastators to really tear up Hades, or Easy Company where you can end up having 4 Lasers, 2 HMGs, a Crowbar, and a Barret against the high armor.

That might not worry too many people, but it's a thought. I mean Alpha doesn't really have all that much high armor as it stands.

Plus side having a high armor boss could make the Pyromancer Flamer and his Armor Reduction in higher demand I suppose.
  9. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

I agree with the Armor-issue. The main bosstheme in alpha seems to be low armor values. On another note i fear that it might take to long to win b route with speed. You have to hold at the armory, fight a boss there, walk towards the airlock, fight another boss there within a timelimit adn should you fail that fight another boss. While the idea is awesome i think the timewindow for the quests is too small
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The thing about Nyx is that he's not only the final boss, but he doesn't spawn at full hitpoints if you beat the crap out of Charon first. Yes, he's durable and angry and ect, but he's also someone you technically get to wail on for a significant amount of time before he even shows up.
  11. Blaze

Blaze New Member

not to mention how slow he is i mean any sort of crowd control will deal with his mobs fine just have dps focus down the boss and you should hurt him alot and failing to kill him you get a kiteable boss with a bite to his bark to kill
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yeah. I get that. Just fearing that it makes the final boss more skill based than DPS based. Alpha is the "DPS Storyline" after all. I mean it's not so bad with OP OSOKs, surgical nukes, Smites, and Napalm Barrages. But teams that depend more on DPS, and classes that depend on DPS are going to have a rough go of it since even in his goo form he has 15 armor. M5s and HKs would be the more common weapons used in Alpha Company, SMGs as well since there's little armor for most of it. And all of those would do nothing except add more spawns to the battlefield in his goo form. So DPS based teams, Combat Engineers, Combat Rifle, Infantry based FOs, etc, are all kinda up shit creek against him.

Unless you have both a SurvCon AND a Pyromancer Flamer. Which isn't a bad idea other than everyone hates Pyromancers. *shrug* So it's not a HUGE deal. It's just that seems to be more dependent on having skill damage and is going to be a very hard slog for DPS based teams.
  13. grandmarshal

grandmarshal New Member

Bringing back clickling will be a good start though.
  14. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

Shift plus click is what got rid of them in the first place. Hence why beastlings were introduced.
  15. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yeah, something that rewards Click Macros over tactical play never really struck me as a good fit for NOTD anyway. The rest of the game doesn't really reward things like that. Not to mention just putting in Clickers wouldn't accomplish the main goal of making Alpha Company feel like a comparatively "Complete" storyline.

I still think that old Demeter Split idea, if reworked and polished, would have also been a nice idea.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Flamethrowers and lasers. Pulse actually has INSANE armor pen, so that's also a viable weapon. Just gotta prepare for the boss by distributing the right items if you're DPS-heavy.
  17. grandmarshal

grandmarshal New Member

Kith..Just a suggestion though...

Dome B not to explode as technically, Alpha is 1 episode before EC company, lore wise. thus, if Dome B still exist in EC, wouldnt it make sense that Dome B still stay standing?:)
    [hr]
    actually, if the slither bugs are fixed, that is what i looking forward to... slithers are the one that separate the pro from the noobs, solo rambo from the team player, MOH to non-MOH...
  18. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well he did say this ending is Non-Canon. Kinda like the ending in Security Team where you blow the hell out of Apollo and get murdered by the righteous Major Nardelli and his boys.
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Relevant bit bolded.
  20. DrCaptain
    • Donator

DrCaptain Well-Known Member

Perhaps instead of basing the model for Nyz off of the aberration, you could base if off of the Kerrigan model. I don't think Kerrigan has been used as a base model yet. Besides, the whole blade wings growing out of a boss would be kinda cool.

Actually, just thought of this. If Nyx is the final form of Charon, wouldn't the visual be some sort of mutation/molting process? Charon crawl-slides towards the transport, eats a few civilians, and then BOOM! Charon's body does the death animation resulting in Nyx standing in the remains of Charon's body. Or, huge explosion with lots of Kith-fire erupting around/on Charon, resulting in Nyx appearing in the flames.