Unimplemented Favored Weapons

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, May 28, 2015.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

When I originally designed player progression and customization, the concept of Favored Weapons was that players would be able to buy the ability to start the game with whatever weapons they preferred. While reviewing the plans for the credit shop, I realized something rather important that I had managed to gloss over in my haste to get everything else done: Credit purchases are not supposed to impact a player's performance in any way, shape, or form.

Considering that Favored Weapons costing credits flies in the face of that, I've decided the following:
    • The ability to choose a Favored Weapon will unlock once the player reaches 5,000 XP (aka Staff Sergeant or its equivalent) and therefore be part of the normal progression/customization process.
    • All weapons will be available for choosing once the player reaches the appropriate XP amount.
    I briefly considered allowing access to the system at 10,000 XP, but I figured that was too long to wait. I'm debating on busting down access to Tier 3 classes to 10,000 XP to keep new players interested longer, but that remains to be seen. I'm also debating on re-balancing the HMG and AM Rifle and allowing them to be accessed by the Favored Weapon system, but if I do so depends on how the re-balancing of all other weapons goes.

Anyways, that's the haps - post ya feedback.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. squish

squish Well-Known Member

As they say in life, work for what you want. IDGAF here tbh.

Edit:

Am neither for nor against it.
  3. stanK

stanK Member

I am against any feature that disadvantages new players vs old players.

However, you didn't say how much of an "advantage" this system will give to old players. If it makes it impossible to play a decent game and you are funneled to play shit until you reach the certain XP mark, it's bad. If it eliminates some annoyance as a reward, it's acceptable and can be appealing to some players.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

It's an advantage only if the player understands the weapon system and what weapons are good against certain enemies. NOTD 2's weapons will have a much greater degree of focus on the concept of "right tool for the right job" than NOTD's - the Shotgun will no longer be the fist of an angry god that will destroy everything you come across, for instance.

This isn't to say that the players won't have access to the various weapons through the course of low-level play, by the way. They can still find them and equip them and use them - the Favored Weapon system just allows a player to spawn with the chosen weapon instead of the starter weapon (which usually means an Assault Rifle, but can also mean Flamethrower or Marksman Rifle or ect).

Anyways. To answer your question; no, access to the Favored Weapon system will not be the difference between a good game and a bad game. At most it will save a couple minutes looking for guns - something I'm totally willing to give if it means reducing the amount of slapfights over who gets what weapon.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stanK

stanK Member

Ok then, looks good. Thank you for the info.