Fan Fiction Forum

Discussion in 'Online Operations' started by Ability, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

As part of our emphasis to improve NOTD's lore, characterization and universe, we're proposing to create a new Fan Fiction sub-forum. This will house our canon story, fan fiction, storyline-related questions or mission ideas and also be a place to strengthen and glue things together in a coherent way. The intent is to see a lot more community effort being put into fan fiction and to recognize our existing pool of contributors.

Please share your thoughts. This thread will move to NOTD Discussion on Thursday.
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Go for it. Zuriel, Nicaro, and myself could always use the company.
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I think that's a fine idea generally.

Although I am not sure whether now is the best time for this. Maybe wait until we have built a larger base of articles?

Pro:
    Possibly encourages more people to post their stories in that dedicated forum
    People looking for Fan Fiction get to find it quickly

Con:
    Very few articles to date, so forum section will look very empty
    Empty might suggest inactive
    People going to General Discussion will not per chance stumble upon fan fiction and thus might not get drawn into it as much
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I think it would be nice, as you can have a zone dedicated to that.

If it was possible, I would suggest the ability to change polls for posts in that board(not sure if its present or possible), for people who do choose your adventure type fan-fics.(would help with decision making).
  5. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Also makes it easy for people who don't read the fanfiction to focus on updates in whatever board they're in now.

It's an advantage even for those who don't read em. I say,
    +1
  6. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

I'm with ghost on this.
  7. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay. We'll put this on hold until there's stronger support for this. This is an open discussion.
  8. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Its nice that the devs decide to recognise our (writers) continued efforts in contributing. But personally I feel that the general discussion forum is sufficient, for now. Until the time comes when there is a strong need for literary input, the subforum should not be open.
  9. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I would say that general discussion is the best place for this right now, unless there's some official need for recognition for whatever reason.

Maybe when there's more writers/more stories.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

My view is that it probably is unnecessary right now. But also that should it exist, there would probably be a jump in the amount of fan fiction being written for NOTD. Kind of like the Strategy and Tactics board. Seems when that section popped up there was a surge in attention given on various guides. I know if it wasn't for that section and it's compilation of guides I probably wouldn't have written the flamethrower guide... though that's probably a good thing as I'm constantly maligned for it from players who didn't like my conclusions. Seems every other day I got someone telling me how wrong I was about Igniter, how useless Pyro is anyway and I shouldn't have made guides for it to encourage "Noob Tree" builds, etc.

But I digress.

Yeah. General discussion is good for now. However if you're ever interested in expanding the amount of fiction being written and bring in new writers, having a subforum for it will probably shake a few nuts out of the tree.
  11. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

"Fuck 'em."

You should see the flak I catch on a daily basis over the Commando Codex. Enough BadComms and butthurt SubComms being told their class is a selfish gimmick, I could build a throne.

Anyways, the main thing this discussion seems to be forgetting is this.

http://notdstarcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Cat ... an_Fiction
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Fuck 'em indeed.

Very nice. Never noticed it before. Guess it just shows me again how labyrinthine the Wiki is.
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Again, I may be spoiled by vBulletin and SMF but categories should be collapsible. Here is a hypothetical setup.

[hr]

NOTD Information Center
    -NOTD Announcements
    -Online Operations

Feedback and Discussion
    -Blaqk Ops
    -NOTD Discussion
    -General Discussion

NOTD Resources
    -NOTD Strategy & Tactics
    -NOTD Fiction & Lore

[hr]

This would allow users to customize the way they see the forum based on what content interests them. Thoughts on this?
  14. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I see what you did there!
  15. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I didn't
    But I do now!

Anyway, this could be a great idea, but only if more people support the fan fiction writing.
  16. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for your next update D:
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

There are far more people registering an account here just to ask a single question and leave. I'd like to amend my suggestion for the new forum structure with this.

[hr]

NOTD Information Center
    -NOTD Announcements
    -Online Operations
    -Questions and Support

Feedback and Discussion
    -Black Cops
    -NOTD Discussion
    -General Discussion

NOTD Resources
    -NOTD Strategy & Tactics
    -NOTD Fiction & Lore

[hr]

Questions and support would be designed to keep the "how 2 play" threads out of NOTD Discussion and to give new members a location where they can comfortably ask their game-related questions.
  18. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I see what you did there.
  19. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

[​IMG]