Exploitable Bugs

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Arcelia

Arcelia New Member

Okay let me explain this votekick bug a bit more then...

Scenario:

Player 2 is afk and hasnt picked their character and they are past the point at which you cant pick it anymore.
    This person begins to lag out the team so the team -vks them.
    Troll player 1 goes -vk 3 then -vk 2 then -vk 3 then -vk 2 then -vk 3 to votekick player 3 out by themselves.

If suddenly there arent enough players to kick player 1 out player 1 can go on a -vk rampage and slowly kick every single player out of the game.
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

That makes much more sense as an Exploitable bug o.o

I thought you meant something like:

P1 -vk's P2 & P3
    P2 -vk's P1 & P3
    P3 -vk's P1 & P2.
    Each player then -vk's themselves (Entire team -vk'd) If there are more players, each player -vk's them then does the mentioned part, and that would be an entire team -vk'd.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

More and more I'm seeing this, and it kinda... irks me. Particularly in Alpha Company the Pathing Blocking Exploits. Engineers build a tower and this completely destroys the Demeter fight, both early game hold outs. I'm sure there are lots of other places where it happens. It's not even a case of "Timing Buying Roadblock", in that the enemies destroy it... it just completely destroys the challenge like the old Erebos Cheese Ledge used to do.

Maybe this isn't a BAD thing. Maybe it doesn't bother anyone else. It's just something that's up there with the Gravity Gun in that the presence of this one thing absolutely destroys the difficulty of even Nightmare Modes.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Gives the field Engineer something to do, at least. But if we want to axe it, then make the towers 1x1 on the build grid and have them require that they be a minimum distance from each other. That way, if you want to screw pathing, you need at least two field engineers. It's a clever tactic for sure, but perhaps we should make it more difficult to pull off because it's also technically an exploit.
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well... I think it crosses the line from "Clever Tactic" to "Game Breaking Exploit" akin to Survival Mode Gravity Gun/Jump Cheese did. It's not something that limits the danger marines face or increases their damage. It completely removes the danger as the only thing that will attack the marines/towers during this point is Gargoyles/Wraiths or enemies that spawn inside the pathing blocks or within direct sight of them. And having sight doesn't let all the other enemies come in and attack the towers. It will only effect the specific enemies that spawn within range 4/5 of the towers. So typically in the Alpha Company example the only land based enemies that actually come after you is maybe 3-4 Immortals.

Note that since I don't really know the programming or how the engine works, I don't know how to fix this necessarily myself. The ideal solution would be if there was a way to code some AI Check that said "Cannot Reach Marines, destroy any object with HP in the way" or the ilk. Do not know if that's a possibility. It still allows for the spirit of tower chump blocking, or I suppose things like Invincible Barrel Walls... but instead of being cruise control to victory it is something that only buys you time or perhaps creates an artificial choke point only. Down came the Walls of Jericho.
  6. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

The fact they dont just kill the towers because their hostile is really confusing.
    By default the AI should just plow through anything in its path.
  7. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Yeah, on one hand the units should just be killing anything in their path to reach the enemy (see supply depots raised in ladder), but on the other, the AI probably does not see them as a threat because they are not DIRECTLY attacking them, just applying damage every second. I notice this behavior in ladder as well, the game AI will ALWAYS attack units that are attacking them, regardless of whatever is around them they negatively influences them (pathing obstructions (not total blocks), psi disruption towers, etc).

It may be simply be a threat priority thing, or it could be fundamentally how the AI views buildings vs units and whthere they are being actively attacked. Another place where this weird behavior happens is when High Templar storm, even if they unload storms, shit will NOT go for them as long as something else is attacking them, b/c HT have no inbuilt attack.
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Indeed. I was thinking as well that if my "AI attacks anything with HP preventing them from reaching the marines" could impact the Scrap Yard Queen Camp. In so far as a good/smart tank will make sure Eos sits in between the two debris blocking off the one entrance. Which prevents any of her hordes from entering because her fat ass is in the way, least if done right. It would probably make people rage if it happened... but I would also find it fairly interesting if the hordes said "Hmm, her bloated PMS Highness is in the way but telling us to attack.... RIP DOWN THE DEBRIS!" Instead of just being free XP for an on the ball AoE user.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Mono and OSOK do not "trigger" Erebos round 2. In other words, I can kite Erebos around the map just OSOKing him and his health bar will never pop up, he wont change colors, and he wont spawn banelings.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

S.ame thing for Deimos. Skill damage doesn't proc an encounter, although its entirely possible to make it proc vis skill damage (see: IVAX)
  11. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks - will fix for Erebos 2 in next patch. For Deimos, the damage threshold is intentional (procs at around 80%) to ensure that 1-2 solo Marines can't stop it front its path of destruction too easily.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

My suggestion is to make him drop eggs as soon as he's attacked. Kinda in a supervillain "I don't have time to deal with you myself!" sort of way, and then he starts to take notice of the marines after they rough him up a bit. It'd also discourage solo rambo dudes (I am completely guilty of this) from coming up to him and attacking him early and instead wait for the whole team to arrive.
  13. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

The high ground wall around the reactor core is used to great effect during the last 10 waves of survival because nothing bigger than players can get past the things in the middle of it. This includes sitting there while the GOTB derps around below wishing he could get up. Widen that wall slightly.
  14. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

When nano shield or protect is placed on a pet and they level while under it's effects, the pet will have increased shields. I have a screenshot somewhere.

Edit: Found the screenie
  15. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

The issue with switching to XS-4 to recharge shields quickly still exist.
  16. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

Sometimes when demeter spawns on the right side of the map and the whole team is above the top turret in fort, demeter will crawl up the center ramp and will get stuck due to pathing, the team can just sit there while demeter wiggles in place and is out of range of anyone to attack. So u can sit there and take the stuns and just fend off the slithers without worrying about him.

edit:
    [attachment=1543]

we can remove this by simply taking the Demeter spawns off the right side of the map. anywhere else is ok and I've tried many spots...