Under Review Experience Values

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So now that the experience system that I want is actually in place, it's time to adjust the experience to level.

The goal of these values is to make kills able to account for roughly a third of the total experience for a successful game and for that to be enough to propel you to Level 6 with Missions providing the rest. Mission rewards will be adjusted once these values are in place and we see how they work out. Keep in mind these values are experience required to reach next level, not total experience.

Level 1: 50
    Level 2: 75
    Level 3: 100
    Level 4: 125
    Level 5: 150
    Level 6: 175
    Level 7: 200
    Level 8: 300
    Level 9: 400
    Level 10: 500
    Level 11: 600
    Level 12: 700
    Level 13: 800

For those interested, here are the previous values:
    Show Spoiler
    Level 1: 50
    Level 2: 100
    Level 3: 200
    Level 4: 325
    Level 5: 450
    Level 6: 600
    Level 7: 750
    Level 8: 900
    Level 9: 1050
    Level 10: 1200
    Level 11: 1800
    Level 12: 2300
    Level 13: 3500
  2. Eagle 11

Eagle 11 Well-Known Member

Hmm, what i get out of this lvling will be a lot faster or the difficulty will be scaling harder,stronger,faster,better in a round thus you need less.
    Does level cap-out at 13 ?
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Leveling will be different. All kills in NOTD 2 give 1 experience globally and missions give experience rewards as opposed to NOTD's wide variety of experience values being given locally and from kills only. Ideally, the leveling rates will be roughly the same with Missions factored in.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The new experience values have been implemented and work reasonably well, but the later levels need tweaking. I feel that players advance too quickly, so I'll probably be adjusting those values to compensate once I'm done working on new missions.
  5. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

So after few weeks of not doing anything, i logged in and gave it a shot.

As i was saying earlier global xp sharing is poop. Did it solo so no insight on how it works with other people, but minis sharing globally is silly. Was lvl 6 or slightly below before civ evac. Ended at 12 with some change after 50ish min of killing only stuff that literally blocked my way as i ran objectives. That said boss AI needs some serious buff i was kitting final dino around tank that he gave zero shits about despite almost standing on it.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

You'll get over it.

Intended, give or take half a level of experience. First five or so levels are intended to go very quickly, with the players hitting their Tier 3s during Chapter 4 for Recruit.

Recruit is supposed to end with the players at about Level 10 or somewhere around there. Like I said - the later levels need tweaking.

We are aware that the AI still has some issues to work out.
  7. ozzy

ozzy Member

but single team experience and eight team experience would still be similar because is little difference in kills or no kills
    I think equal team experience is better
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Agreed. NOTD is a team game, not a competitive one (at least not the main campaign). Forcing competition for kills just to keep up in levels is just plain gooby. Worse, it runs the risk of ending up with leveling metagames like we have now.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Which is why I dropped the "tiny bonus for kills" and just went with flat shared experience for everyone.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ar0uz3d

Ar0uz3d Member

Honestly, I love that you guys are trying to make this more cooperative. I mean I'm so sick of telling players to hold fire when a more useful class needs levels or seeing a recon whore with an L3 when he gets plenty of levels running around scouting all game.

Does this mean all mobs, whether it be an Agron or a Zombie, will give only 1 experience?
  11. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Did you mean "less competitive" or am I misunderstanding you?
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

This is one of the major reasons why we moved to full global share. The current NOTD experience system is extremely unintuitive and spawns really gross strategies that involve leveling two clutch classes while the rest of the team gets the scraps, so to speak.

Yes. The only exceptions will be bosses that signify the end of a chapter with their death.
  13. Ar0uz3d

Ar0uz3d Member

When I say "more cooperative," I mean the whole game as in general. Making it less competitive just helps it become more of a cooperative game. I like that you guys are making this more into a game where teammates won't have an unfair advantage over others because of the class they've selected. Sorry, I guess I should have worded it a little better.

In my opinion, I feel like you should keep it at varying experiences for different mobs. If it's harder to kill something, it should give more of a reward. As a suggestion, I would put mobs into different categories on their difficulty. For example, the first category would be ghouls, zombies, banes, etc and it would give 0.5 experience.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Oh, I see. I'm just dumb. Carry on, then. <3
  15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Nope. I designed it this way intentionally so the spawns in later difficulties (Normal, Nightmare) would result in less experience overall being earned from kills to offset the increased experience gain that will come from having additional missions to complete.
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Which is excellent, by the way.
  17. Ar0uz3d

Ar0uz3d Member

Oh awesome. Are they just bonus missions or a continuation of the main story line? Will you guys also be putting in a Hell mode for NotD 2?