Ever gotten WAY too into something?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blaqk, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

By which I mean, have you ever been so engrossed in what you were doing you lost your grasp on reality? Earlier today, I got the urge to play some Sins of a Solar Empire. Being the crazy person I am, I picked Random - Huge (Multi) for my scenario and set all 9 AIs to Unfair Difficulty. I ended up fighting a war on two fronts at the end when it was down to two of us and lost. I lingered on the results screen to see how well I faired and pretty much crapped myself when I saw how long I had been playing the game.

5:58:24

Six... fucking... hours...
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Done that with waaaaaay too many games. Including way back in the day where I spent a good 50 straight hours playing what we then thought was Final Fantasy II. And I do mean straight hours, no breaks or anything. Didn't even get up to make myself a sandwich or anything.

Barely managed to get the energy up to crawl to the kitchen and get something to eat before I passed out.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I lost myself way back when Front Mission 3 first hit US shores. Oh the days when Square Enix produced worthwhile games. Aside from The World Ends With You, the crap they've released lately gives crap a bad name.
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yeah... can't think of anything they've released lately that I've really put time in. Unless you count rereleases of old games on handhelds. Final Fantasy IV on the DS, for example. And I was told those Dissidia games were okay but who the hell actually owns a PSP? Suckers that's who.

I also recall on the PC doing similar things with X-Wing. Oh, and Space Empires III.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

If I could trade all the hours I've put into Fallout Tactics for work hours I'd be in good standing right now.

On the topic of Sins of a Solar Empire, if you have the Diplomacy expansion, take my advice and don't give the pirates crazy money to overwhelm enemy planets. It's an easy way to pick off planets if you have a strong economy but the Pirates keep the ships they build with the money you provide. Travel to another star, decide you'll take the pirate base for your foothold, then get greeted by an armada twice the size of yours. It took the combined might of all of my Advent fleets to bring down one pirate base because I gave them too much money. I had to retreat three Radiance Battleships to keep from losing them... to pirates! D=
  6. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I really should get that game some time. It sounds a lot like good ol' Space Empires in general feel. Which isn't a bad thing at all.
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

It is. The similarities to the old Space Empires games were the reason I purchased it (that... and it's really pretty). The races themselves are, aside from TEC's blandness, diverse and interesting. It's also notable that even though each race is pretty distinct, you can use the same strategies and tactics universally. My love for Advent Halcyon Carriers transfers nicely over to Visari Skintara Carriers.

Despite the eye candy, it's surprisingly lightweight. My old ATI 5870 can handle the settings maxed out with the only exception being a side-effect of my own play style and race choice. I'll caution you if you do have 80+ Advent bombers all hitting a starbase at once, you're going to want to either look away or zoom out really far.
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

There was one thing that really got me engrossed in Space Empires that other games have continually failed me upon... and that was the level of customization to the ships. Sure they had the base requirements like all Frigates needed to have two engines, a bridge, and a crew compartment. But there was enough space and items left over that you could really twink out and build almost exactly what you wanted as far as capabilities.

I got Hegemonia: Legion of Iron because someone said that game had that sort of customization upon it. And ended up disappointed that the customization to my units was basically "Fixed Cannons or Turrets" and "Missiles or energy weapons".
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

The turn-based cousin to SoaSE is Galactic Civilization which is a spiritual successor to Space Empires. It takes customization to a stupid degree. A single game can also take you weeks to complete with "Immense" sized galaxies. I'll admit I'm terrible at managing an internal economy in GCiv and usually rush Trade and turn the weakest civilization (or a nice, distant minor civ) into my money whore.
  10. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Probably the one I'd grab if anything. I do appreciate some good ol' Turn Based. And I will spend faaaaaaaar too much time fucking around with Customization in any game.

I remember when my friend tried to get me into APB (Before it went belly up originally). I get it, download it, start it up. And 4 hours later he's still going "Come on man, where are you? I wanna go kill guys!"

Me: "Still making my character and setting things up!"

Because, you know, it's not enough just to shoot someone in the face. I want them to also say "What the...." as they hear Bobby Vinton singing "Mr. Lonely".
  11. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Way too many games... Spent like 8 hours playing ME3, did an overnight session to play entire GDI campaign in C&C 3. Just...One...More...Mission... Same goes for NotD, finish one game, remake for another try or someone else invites me to another game.
  12. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Turn based strategy games don't challenge me. As arrogant as it is, if I'm given time to react and plan, I'm going to rape the fun out of a game. For instance, I recently replayed Knights of the Old Republic 2. The mission on Dxun where you have to split your party usually ends up being crazy difficult because most people either auto-level or level stupidly, I opted to have Handmaiden lead the team that attacked the Tomb of Freedon Nadd. I may as well have not even sent anyone else with her. Her carefully planned build meant that she one-hit-killed everything. Those Sith Beastmasters sent Boma Beasts after her? Whack! Dead. The Sith Ritual Master that's intended to be a challenging boss? Whack! Dead. She landed a 146 damage critical on one of the poor Sith Officers. I didn't know damage went that high in KOTOR. Add in the fact she's a Jedi Guardian and has that damn Force Jump and it was a massacre.

I laughed myself to tears when later in the game she actually killed Atris in a scripted battle with a massive critical. The cutscene still fired and the story progressed but Atris just lay on the ground.

This is why I like RTS over TBS. I'm not given the luxury of time. When I warped my First Fleet into that Pirate base and saw that paying them enough to send 125 ships per mission was a terrible, terrible idea, I didn't have time to stop and think. I had to immediately organize a retreat in order to preserve my numbers so I could mount a proper attack. Time spent planning is also time your enemies spend preparing. Every second I waste deciding how to go about the attack is a chance for one of the computer opponents to take a whack at one of my planets or disrupt my economy.
  13. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

*shrug* I'm inferior, and I do admit that. My mind is pretty scrambled up. And I often end up confusing things I know better on when I'm hard pressed. Especially pops up with Math. I mean I know the math, I can do the math. But chances are if it's not something I have memorized right off like multiplication tables I'll have to go take the time to work through it three time to make sure I didn't jumble anything up.

So often RTS situations don't appeal to me. Either because it's a case of twitch reflex and one minor mistake will wreck your odds (And my mind being what it is I'll probably THINK I'm pressing the right thing when in fact I'm doing the exact opposite and can't catch it until I'm already up and slaughtered). Or it's a case where it's just about sheer mass and numbers over any particular tactics.

Thus why I don't ladder in SC2 too much. Ladder games typically being "Mass as much as possible and attack at X mark" it doesn't really interest me.

Meanwhile I'll play something like Advanced Wars and have a lot of fun with it.

Though your KOTOR thing sounds more like the T.G. Cid Issue from Final Fantasy Tactics. Or the standard RPG issue of Power Leveled.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

It's more planning than anything. Advance Wars is one of those games where time really isn't on your side since everything is done sequentially. I like that.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Another example for you. An obscure sequel to a remake of an even more obscure 90s RPG, Avernum 4 is potentially the most difficult game in the series. The reason for this is that its learning curve is even more sheer than NOTD's. Two skills in particular, Parry and Riposte, can and will mean the difference between surviving and dying in certain battles. However, neither skill is visible until you meet its prerequisites, and there's no information that tells you what those prerequisites are. As an experiment, I played two games with the exact same party setup but different builds. One playthrough was a role-specific, optimized build where I had a Human Tank with capped Parry, Riposte, Defense, and Hardiness, a Slithzerikai with the Jade Halberd, capped Anatomy, and all kinds of other delicious damage skills, a Human Mage who just buffed the fuck out of my meleers, and a Nephilim healbus. Even on Torment, the only challenge was the stupid Crystal Pylons which are the equivalent to huggers in that if you walk into their LOS you're boned. The second playthrough was with what I would expect the average player to do, and I ended up getting trapped in the final boss' dungeon, unable to survive fighting deeper or fighting my way out on Normal difficulty.

You can call it what you will, but the ultimate weapon in any situation is knowledge.
  15. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Ah, blind gaming. How I remember those days. Waaaaay back, when one of the typical ways you would acquire games was through garage sales and such... and it was pretty much guaranteed that you wouldn't have any boxes, manuals, etc. There was no interwebs for a game walkthrough, there was a tip line, but it cost more than a 900 number phone sex line so only the most asshole of asshole rich kids would even think about it.

Though Blind Gaming like that is the reason why I don't touch certain games... Ever try to play something like Romance of Three Kingdoms with no documentation at all? You can't figure out what the hell anything in that is, nothing is explained, and almost nothing makes sense.
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

If you want to talk blind gaming, go find a copy of Soulbringer and try playing that without doing any research on it. Just about the only thing that is obvious in that game is that investing in "Health" gives you more health. There's very little guidance, no tutorial, and plenty of situations where you need to know what's going on. For example, near the start of the game if you opt to deal with the mines prior to Ravenscar, if you fuck with that Raal you're dead. Actually, even if you wait to enter the mines, if you fuck with that Raal and don't know about its magic you're dead. Hell, even if you do know about its magic there's a good chance you're dead thanks to clunky controls.

The line between adequate information and hand holding is blurry. Although given the option, I'd rather have vague directions and a challenge over the checkpoint and respawn ridden borefests that pass themselves off as games anymore.
  17. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well, a lot of game designers seem to drop the ball on the concept of using the game itself to teach players how to progress through the game. I cringe every time I see a game that's marketed for Adults but seems to imply that we all have the mental facilities of a 3 year old.

That and I often find myself... miffed... at things that I think should logically be in a game of its sort but isn't. I mean playing Skyrim for example. One that I can think of was being, well, miffed, that I couldn't trample people with a horse. Or hell, even draw my sword and do some George Mayow Dragoon style shit.

Crappy free game I got off the Interwebs 4 years before, Mount and Blade, could do it. Triple A title released later that I payed for couldn't figure out that people might want to go run down an Elf, trampling Thalmor under the hooves while you stab his friends?
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Oh god... Blaqk, I played Exile 1 Demo as far as I could then I think starcraft took over, never had money to get full game. Such a fun game given how simple it was *Nostalgia*
  19. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I'll express my feelings on the first part of your post when I have more time. Right now I'm replying to this thread during my frustration breaks from Photoshop.

Skyrim is a fantastic example of how expectations can ruin a game. I'm not talking about consumer expectations, I'm referring to the expectations of the publisher. A development team working under tight restrictions and time frames will not produce a masterpiece and Skyrim is not what it could be. To call the writing in Skyrim "inconsistent" would be an understatement. Look at the guild questlines. The College of Winterhold's questline is an absolute bore. I love the magic system in Skyrim and I'm almost in the mood to replay with a spellcaster, but every time I think about having to replay that questline I lose the urge. To the contrary, the writing in the Dark Brotherhood was fantastic. The uniqueness of the characters, especially Cicero and Gabriella, the absurdity of the missions, and the cohesion of how it all plays together, including a very well executed ending, made that a far less tedious chore than the College or, even worse, the Thieves Guild. Half of the Thieves Guild questline wasn't even content. It was just filler garbage in the form of generic missions required to progress the story.

So the obvious question is, if the Dark Brotherhood's writing was so superior, why didn't they just have those writers script all of the content? Time. Bethesda needed the money to fund future projects and sales of Fallout 3 and Oblivion aren't exactly booming. Fallout New Vegas wasn't as successful as Fallout 3 and the income from those sales were split with Obsidian (a story for another time). As such, time did not allow for one team to write a consistent, coherent story. Writing was split up like any other task and we end up with roller coaster storytelling. Dark Brotherhood, Mind of Madness, and A Night to Remember are examples of where the writing was at its best. Then you look at the entire College of Winterhold, Imperial Army/Stormcloaks, and even the main quest itself and you see where it was weak.

Being a blockbuster does not necessarily mean its a good game.
  20. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Exile 3 rocked my socks. They are re-remaking the series, believe it or not. Avernum: Escape from the Pit should be releasing for Windows here in the next week or so.