Downloading an additional 10MB mod file for NOTD

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, May 14, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Would you guys be fine if I made everyone do a one-time (hopefully) download of an additional NOTD mod file (8-10MB) that will have some soundtracks? I would like to replace the base SC2 soundtrack with NOTD-unique ones to drive a stronger sense of NOTD.

This would be updated very infrequently, so it shouldn't affect the regular patch download times. Any violent objections?
  2. Omega Death
    • Donator

Omega Death Alpha Weltall

i'm cool with that xD
  3. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

There a way to make it only download for players with 500xp+? the initial download for new players is probably long enough as it is. I know I wouldn't mind the dl though.
  4. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

As long as it isnt Nyan Cat bs like that pictionary game did.
  5. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

No, there isnt. It's just part of the normal map download, you cant actually distinguish one from the other.

If a mod dependency is used, like I've been suggesting since the dawn of time, at least move existing items from the map, like, Oh I dont know. The Ghoul, Imported Sounds, Imported Images, ect.
  6. Emperor

Emperor New Member

I hail from the days where gigabyte sized map and server downloads in CS, NS and Tribes were commonplace, so no, it wouldn't bother me.

This is to make room for my pink Assault, amirite? I shouldberite.
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

We can already do that...

[​IMG]
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Face looks just like Emperor's too.
  9. Waves_Blade

Waves_Blade New Member

Quick quick!

Do it before I have to go back home from college to my POS internet!

V_V
  10. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

I mentioned this before, swapping a marine texture onto Tychus will make him fully team colorable, and it doesnt look half bad, nor does it effect his chaingun. However, it turns his face into ground beef.
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

He's a burn victim. The flamethrower tried to hug him.
  12. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Personally I don't mind the 10MB and in this day and age most people have broadband if they play SC2.
    Now, I am aware that certain people may have bandwidth limitations which may cause troubles when you add an extra 10 MB.

I would give a qualified go ahead on adding additional MB to the size, but aim to keep it as small as possible rather than stuff extra content in because it makes it stand out more. Ideally keep it max 5MB.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Just keep in mind, the stuff that goes into the frogbag mod dependency has to stay there and not change. I'm only cool with imagery going in if its finalized.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

For the record, Hero Attack's latest version involves a 78MB download.

Yeeeeaaaaaaah...
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Did those morons just keep pounding extra music into the map? No amount of additional models or artwork could ever reach that level. You only get 80mb maximum, mod dependancies and main file. Unless they imported shit tons of music or ... lol videos in their map, they shouldn't physically hit that amount.
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I dunno what the hell they've done. I haven't had a chance to play it yet since my shitterwebs will take forever to download 78MB.

It's a full integer version increase (2.0 to 3.0) so they've probably added new heroes, maps, and music. Hopefully Overseer Form is fixed. <.<
  17. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

The new Hero Attack is a cluster, 1 map is broken, another is laggy as hell, and on the other 2 maps theres quite a few soundtracks. Some of the classes were fixed and of course some others skills broke. And yes the overseer was fixed, same as statue form
  18. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

The main map can only be 10mb. This includes terrain, triggers, and data editor. You cannot store triggers or terrain in the mod dependancy, as its read only. Given how simply hero attack is (is a very simple map...) new heros are an almost nonexistant amount of map space, the only reason they dont have more is laziness or balancing issues. As for new maps, thats terrain, and they are still going to be limited to SC2s terran limits, ie the 256x256 cap. So that just leaves a shit ton of music, which if thats the case they sure are fucking over their players over something the map honestly doesnt need.
  19. Emperor

Emperor New Member

I hope it plays Bieber for the losing team.

Rofl, that's censored.
  20. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

Triggers become libraries for that reason and I think they can be link via mod. It just that if the mod not there present it will destroy the link to it and trigger fail. Not going to happen unless force open of map.