Dota 2 thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Zeriathyr, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Ranged stealthy carry/nuker? There aren't any stealthy ranged nukers. Ranged stealthy carries on the other hand, Bone Clinkz fits the mold decently well. If you're willing the drop the ranged part though, there's a lot good melee stealth characters. Nyx Assassin is a good early game ganker/nuker once he hits level 6. Gondar aka Bounty Hunter is also an amazing invis ganker once he hits level 6. For carries, you have good old Rikimaru/Stealth Assassin who's ult is literally called "Permanent Invisibility". Also, most ranger-type characters ie Sniper or Drow Ranger can buy the item called Shadowblade, which grants a windwalk on cast, essentially making them a "ranged stealthy carry". If you want the best of all worlds, you got Shadowfiend, who doesn't have an ability that grants him invis but with the mentioned Shadowblade, he can also become a stealthy carry AND nuker. Well, the nukes are a tiny bit hard to land and he's squishy as all fuck until he gets a lot of farm.

Generally speaking, good MS don't quite exist on stealthy characters, Clinkz does get bonus movespeed while windwalking, which makes him pretty fast. Also do note that you break invis the moment you attack in Dota2 and the higher the level of play, the more invis gets punished because a lot of the invis heroes are fairly bad against invis detection and at higher levels of play, people actually get detection when against invis heroes.

Description of gameplay, farm-levels really really depend on a game to game basis. Some games can drag on into farm wars because you have a team with an advantage but can't crack the enemy defense while the defensive team can't move out because they'll just instantly lose if they take a fight outside of base. In other games, you get 20 minute stomps as you crash into their base because their team composition sucks (or you get to be on the receiving end of a stomp). It really varies.

Specs wise, if your computer survives NOTD on low, you'll survive Dota2 on the lowest rendering quality.

The differences between LoL and Dota2 is a very complicated topic to discuss easily. In general terms, LoL simplified a lot of gameplay mechanics from Dota. The actual details however, don't really matter until you get further into the games. Overall, things are the same, kill stuff, get money, kill more stuff, win.
  2. nex_

nex_ Member

Sc2 requires more than dota & co. so you should be fine.

In dota : there is a ranged nuker with a blink : the queen of pain, and a ranged invisible carry : clinks.

In both : basically there is 2 camp, with 3 pathway, sending units permanently, and u need to level up and take advantage on the lane, by last hitting & harassing the opponent, kill him if he is idiot. And then there is a move / gang phase where people try to get tower without getting killed too much.

dota2 is harder to take in hands, not very noob friendly, cause too many mistakes equals giving the advntage to the other. but you have all heroes, or can see their ability when u face them. MM is a bit fucked up imo.

lol is ... casual, easyer mechanics, 0 cd, less balanced, they somehow twisted this for masspeople to come "casual" define it for me. There is no way you understand what your fighting against when you start cause you unlock the hero by playing and this is not really fun, seems to have a decent division ranked system, and a stupid role system too.

tried to be objective
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  3. nex_

nex_ Member

simplified not in the good sense, uncomplexified for the greater money and the less gameplay mechanichs & skill requiring but that's my opinion (subjective).

All in all, it's better with friends.
  4. ok so harder to grasp for everyone new to Dota or new to MOBA? i have played some aeon of stoms, there skills got cd,mistake=death, tower diving is usually a death with decent players etc, so will it be too hard? does Dota have any grinding such as to unlock heroes? as such stuff kills me. and any idea how many of the guys here play Dota? as my friends rarely play these stuff
  5. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

All MOBAs are slightly hard to get into if you're not familiar with the genre in general. Dota on top of that has a lot of little details and interactions and nuances that can't really be taught and just needs to be picked up through repeated playing. However, if you're playing with other new players it doesn't really matter that much.

All heroes are unlocked for everyone, no need to grind for anything.

As for how many of us play Dota2, not a lot? The most regular players would be Peerawatz, OmegaDeath and ArcanePariah that I can see from my friendlist. Probably a few more here and there.

Skills are varied but for the most part, Dota spells tend towards longer cooldowns with high mana costs (exceptions exist). You can't spam spells without quickly running out of mana fast and managing your mana pool is a pretty important aspect of a good majority of heroes (most not all). Mistakes can be punished very hard, positioning is important and bad positioning can get you picked off very quickly. Tower diving is kinda possible with some heroes in the early game, especially the higher HP ones but tower diving can be risky because the enemy team can just teleport into the tower and punish your dive attempt with a countergank. Late game the towers don't hurt as much, they still do some very decent DPS but you can dive past towers much much more easily to take fights. Once again though, enemies can teleport in on towers and engaging behind enemy towers is just asking for you to get surrounded and wiped out usually unless you're aleady very far ahead.
  6. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

DOTA 2 and I believe others MMO too, are a game that requires "Map Awareness", having the ability to last-shot each and every creeps is one thing, knowing when to retreat or go farm, is a whole new matter. It means nothing to last hits for 200 gold only to get ganked and killed later. Watch your surrounding, always be on alert when enemy heroe's missing, ensure the team is well-warded, watch out for attack dogs and always know your fighting condition.

Tower diving early is not a good idea, and is only feasible if a kill can be assured, or the creeps are pushing towards that tower, or your hero has an escape/tank mechanism that allows them to escape tower's wrath.

DOTA 2 is a game that relies on player skills, knowledge and awareness, there is no unlocks of any sorts, no bonuses or anything, just skill and sometimes, luck.

Apart from playing, new players are advised to spectate ongoing games, it will give them more understandings of the game, see new tactics used by other players, or learn how to not make the same mistakes some nubs did, the good example of what is good

- Have a teleport scroll always at ready.
    - Wards the map as support
    - Gank and rotate often as gankers
    - Not picking heroes because "I have their cosmetic items"

The bad examples, new players may not understand yet, but they will soon once they play enough games

- Random a hero, then ask ppl that they can't play said hero, then ask anyone who's willing to play that hero for you to also random, and you end up with Io and Meepo
    - Pick Lone Druid and take his name too seriously and never summon the bear.
    - Buy vanguard on CM
    - Try to be smartass and farm for Mekanism as support before getting brown boots.
    - Picking heroes because "I have their cosmetic items"
    - Died by the same player, using the same hero, killed by the same combos over and over.
    - Farm jungle with Zeus
    - Gets orb of venom on Drow Ranger
    - Counter picking Pugna with Skywrath Mage
  7. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Wait, people actually do that?
  8. nex_

nex_ Member

- Buy vanguard on CM
    > Actually before tranquil boots, that was a viable option against harassing noob or if you want to be dat pub bro unstoppable, not in cw tho.
    - Try to be smartass and farm for Mekanism as support before getting brown boots.
    > it can be usefull on a pusher on easy lane for exemple or with decent teammates :)
    - Picking heroes because "I have their cosmetic items"
    > :D
    - Farm jungle with Zeus
    Actually he can and should do that, if noone takes them.
    - Counter picking Pugna with Skywrath Mage
    > Actually IF not on 1V1 lane, pugna is very dead if he is silenced ... its just a timing/skill/awereness matter.

Dont stay at 3+ vs an undying + anything lane.
    Dont farm jungle low life with a bs (so lol this one ...) or do it on purpose on midgame level with same mate aware of that "taunt"
  9. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Vanguard, not Stout Shield lol
  10. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Vanguard CM is only legit if you go full Vangod and buy 6 Vanguards.
  11. are the posts before pointed at me? cause i dont think i am that stupid. what i consider stupid is a ricki tower diving drow ranger before he is even level 6 and at half hp. :D
  12. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

13. nex_

nex_ Member

14. ozzy

ozzy Member

15. Other way around, heroes of the storm is similar to dota, dota has been here for more time
  16. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

And Blizzmoba isn't even released yet. -_-''
  17. nex_

nex_ Member

what's ur solo rank guys (&ladz)
  18. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  19. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

3100-3200-ish
    I have vowed to only play CM in ranked mode so that might've affected it somewhat.
  20. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

Ranked match making doesn't calculate your skill properly, i made a new account and played super shitty on it

got a 37% winrate

somehow got 4497 mmr
    [​IMG]
    if ur lucky u get 5k~
    [​IMG]