Development layout

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by ArcanePariah, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Ok this is going to be a LONG post. Mainly I am here to lay out what we (mainly me) need from a design point of view in order for this to be implemented with the least amount of time, least amount of bugs and most importantly, most testable and verifiable way possible. This will be a work in progress post, going to do it in steps as time allows. Primarily it is easier to get all this hashed out design wise first then having to recode something over and over.

1. Terrain
      First need a concept, basically a picture. Because of the limitations of how many texture we can have on a given map, we need to determine what kind of map we want NotD 2 to look like. Heart of the Swarm adds many terrain tile sets and textures, so this will provide us some flexibility. This also is a major factor in balance, how much railroading do we want to do, how much should be obvious, how much sandbox feel do we want to give? All of this is determined by terrain layout. Another crucial decision is what kind of visual eye candy we want to include. More eye candy means greater performance hit, or more work as we write/design things to take into account low graphic settings and remove stuff as needed to retain performance but not impact gameplay. If possible, I will gather up and post every texture available to us so we can collectively examine and see what kind of stuff we want on the map and the overall look and feel.
    2. Units
      This is a big one. We need to design templates of units. Since doing a little digging and learning with the data editor, it is FAR FAR FAR easier for me to design a master template or templates of units and utilize the templates to create new ones, then to brute force create one at a time. For instance, right now, each of NotD classes was created one at a time, when in reality, they are all very similar, sharing tons of abilities and stats. With a template, it will take very little time to whip up a new class. However in order to realize this gain, we must decide what is to be in that template, as to avoid going back and adding common abilities manually to each and every class. This will mostly apply to player classes, but if we want to create similar but different enemies, this would also be necessary and useful.
    3. Models
    4. Animations
    5. Game Logic
    6. Interactions
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I'm working on all of these. I'll have something tangible for you in the not too distant future.
  3. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

I'd suggest adding one more point.
    7.Changelog

Proper clean changelog that won't evaporate with every map update. There is no way in hell to test stuff not knowing what is intended change and what is collateral damage.
    I know bunch of people will help with testing if the point of test is clear, they won't if change is made and test is 'to see if something didn't break'. I for one won't bother with detailed tests just play and see if game doesn't explode on me if changelog keeps form of current one (0 update history is biggest issue)
  4. squish

squish Well-Known Member

I know I'm late to this topic, but I agree 100% with Niktos, as I'm sure Niteshade does as well... having a changelog that's... you know... present helps with not just testing stuff when it gets broken patched, but it also helps with the wiki too.. which I'm sure Niteshade would be immeasurably grateful to have a changelog to reference whenever he's updating the wiki.
  5. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

I have long since given up any hope in hell of getting an accurate change log, or even a poorly updated one.

I'll do it myself if I have to come NOTD2.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Member

there is a changelog in notd press f11 to open it
  7. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

What you mean and hides under f11 is chatlog, what we want is capability to see what got changed in a patch on 23rd january 2013 (here is an example)
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

I do need to do better about this. Hopefully (yeah...) there will not be the need for any massive changes once we get in to beta (in terms of bugs at least).

I will also make it a point to keep older changelogs present. We will need to maintain them here on the forums as well since B.net will only show 5 logs total and a maximum of 100 lines (140 characters max to a line), which is usually insufficient.
  9. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Don't get Kithels to do it then xD
    Kithels loves to practice his novel writing too much.
  10. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

most things can be done in list format e.g:

Changed ms on marine from 2 to 1.9
    Fixed queen bug
    Updated marine model
    Fixed jump animation bug
    Updated textures on marine

etc
    If we need extra room we can condense stuff down, prioritize stats above most things bug fixes next, then visual/animation/ new models etc. If we do a hot fix we can mention what it fixes that breifly removing the need to include it in a major update.

The map has its own update information, but if we update a dependency can we do patch notes for that separately? Unsure if its actually displayed anywhere for players to read or if its included in patch notes.
  11. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

That is a good question. I would assume not since dependency are purely a developer thing, and only of use to developers. Probably still use changelogs in dependencies and roll them together for a given patch of the main map itself.