Demolitions rework

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by QuantumMech, Feb 12, 2012.

1. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Well-Known Member

Talking about a demoman rework? Here is my idea (resurrected once again!) that I posted a while ago.

Yes we all know that explode demo needs something better. I have decided to take it upon myself to work out what I think would fix the explosives tree to be: 1. better all around and usable in all story lines and 2. actually explosive.
    Now, because this is a re-work some things are just re-done.

Tier 1

Care Package
    Level1: Deals 100 damage with 60 TK damage
    Level2: Deals 150 damage with 100 TK damage
    Level3: Deals 200 damage with 160 TK damage

This is simply a rework of the satchel, with a new name (don't ask why I felt like it) and less damage. Has a blast radius of 4. But Quantum, why the less dmg??!?!?1? Simply for the fact that it will be more for mob control than semi mob semi take out a big guy. Also has increasing TK ability so that you have to decide. Would also have the same energy cost as current satchel but not the multiplier for against massive and structure.

Mines
    Level1: 15 energy per mine and mines do 40 damage
    Level2: 10 energy per mine and mines do 60 damage
    Level3: 5 energy per mine and mines do 80 damage

This is combining both the "build mines" and "lay mines" talents of the current explode demo. The mines themselves are ok, but they shouldnt be the mainstay of the demo by taking up the entire first tier (IMO) The mines would retain all their current + this much but - that much against them stuff because that part isnt really broken.

Tier 2

Fire vulnerability
    Exactly the same as it is now, no need to change it.

Bunker Buster
    Small cobbled together rocket that is used for taking out large targets. Costs 25 energy with no cool down but has a 2.5 second fire time.
    Level1: deals 150 damage (X2massive and structure) to single target
    Level2: deals 300 damage (X2.5 massive and structure) to 2 radius

The demo makes a hasty rocket to shoot at large enemies to take them out quickly. Made for the fact that the demo needs some way to take out large targets without as much TK

Tier 3

Dirty Bomb
    Remembering the scare tactics of early 21st century terrorists the demolition marine uses the chemicals that have spilled on the moon to make a new explosive.

Combination of toxic cloud of gas and explosion. Costs 30 energy with a 7 second cool down

Deals 300 initial damage (X2 against structure and massive) and leaves a chemical cloud that deals 35 damage per second in a radius of 6 for 40 seconds (deals 150 Tk damage on initial and 25 damage per second) has chance to poison ANYTHING that walks through it and has a 40% slow.

This is like firewall and seems more appropriate for an EXPLOSIVES demolition man.

This is a preliminary idea, so any comments are welcomed, especially constructive ones. This is for the sole purpose of giving explode demo a place besides annoyance.
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I like what you did with Bunker Buster; It helps to have a way to contribute without making him destroy your tank. From my view on him, his major falling off point was vs. Bosses with a tank; He was just to likely to TK or deal more harm then good.

As for Care Package; I would say the TK damage should go up at a steady interval, or at the very least be a Percentage (75% in this case should be appropriate), but put a range on it, and have that range be less then satchel, as it is essentially a toned down version of it.. Those are my initial thoughts on it.

So far I believe this would be a step in the right direction for Demolitions; it allows him to do more then just shoot at a boss such as Eos. The Combination of Build + Place mines was much needed, it makes a lot more sense.
  3. QuantumMech

Yea, a percent would be more reasonable, and actually make sense, as for the range, I believe that the range should be slightly greater than satchel seeing that it is less powerful and meant to kill lighter enemies.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Bah, I just noticed where I made a mistake xD

I meant that you should Specify its radius of effect (How big of an explosion), which should be smaller then the satchel's, but perhaps could increase with based on level. Casting range should likely be a bit longer.
  5. QuantumMech

Psshaaa, why would I do that?
    Sarcasm aside I think a radius of 4 would be good. satchel has 5 (i believe) and 3 seems a tiny bit useless for the task
  6. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

I think care package should be a tier 2 skill. Its a potential exp hoarder, and to start the game with tk-potential might result in an instant wipe.

I suggested a trip flare skill for t1. Anyone think its a good idea?

Basically when a hostile unit crosses between the two flares (joined by a tripwire) the flares will activate for 5 seconds, and slow units in a radius, and provide illumination that can be seen from anywhere in the map.
  7. QuantumMech

If care package is tier 2, then it just becomes weak satchel, completely defeating the purpose.