Customization Chat

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Because some stuff is going on in Kithlife right now, I don't have the time or the energy to sit down and do the math and formatting and all of the other preparation that normally comes with writing a thread (or several). So, instead, I'm going to do an informal rundown of what I've been working on because I know I've been quiet for a while and some of y'all get antsy (rightfully so) when I get quiet.

MEDALS
    The overall system is getting renamed "accolades" so I don't have to clarify that "medals" also include badges. I also need to overhaul them in general - I promise I haven't forgotten.

STATS
    Stats are getting overhauled completely. Something I realized recently was that it wasn't just Weapon Mods that were causing issues and encouraging people to hack - it was Stats too. A player who has as few as two Stat categories maxed out is essentially worth two players in many cases, and they can do that with no drawback whatsoever.

Das' bogus.

The new Stat system will involve a give/take system. If you want to improve a certain stat, you'll have to take from another to do so - similar to NOTD's current Weapon Mod system, just a little more balanced. I don't have the specifics ironed out of what you can move around, but I do know that players will be able to turn in Extra Lives (and the ability to spawn a pet on death) for points to put elsewhere.

RATING
    Rating's major problem was that the rich got richer - the higher your rating, the more bonuses you got, the easier it was to maintain. New And Improved Rating will give bonus Rank Experience for high-rating players, but no actual tangible in-game bonuses beyond that. Low rating will provide either more Extra Lives or better Extra Lives to players so they're more likely to survive the game.

NOTD TRANSFER CODE
    Unfortunately, this is getting cut. The upside is that we're going to replace it with what is essentially a monthly goodie bag - once things are up and running, we'll be posting codes on the forum that players will be able to plug into the shop to get rewards like XP boosters, pets, followers, credits, or maybe even some armor pieces. For the first couple months after NOTD 2 launches, we'll be hosting a "NOTD Special" code that will provide the majority of the promised stuff from the original NOTD Transfer plans (such as the Black Ops rank set, Infested camo, ect).

COMMANDO
    Pretty sure I want to put Warsong in Tier 2 and give Tier 3 a kill-charge DPS booster. Problem is I don't want to have two kill-charge abilities on the same character, so I'd have to make something new for Awe's Tier 3 to compete with skylasers. Commando is on the backburner right now, though - I'll worry about him when he's actually closer to being implemented.
  2. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Overhaul as in rebalance? What would be changing about them?

This interesting, but I guess I am onboard for it. Will it be something like X points in Y gives -X to Z?

Would it even matter to max all stats? Theoretically, what could we expect from max stats? (+15% in overall stats, or...?)

So you want to make them get rich faster, until eventually there is no point in maintaining their rating at all? Why? At least something. You are giving us all of these ways to get more XP, but what are we going to do with all of those numbers in the longester run?

I thought a % MS boost was fine for rating. What reason would anyone bother with keeping their rating up? (Not even high or capped, just up.)

Genuinely sad to hear about this. Time to start running NOTD2 solo derpfests again. Was it time constraints that merited the cut, or it being more trouble than it was worth?

What will be the plan for this "NOTD Special" code? Available to all? Given out on the forum? Or more generally, what is the plan for these codes with their distribution?

---

Main issue I am starting to see is that we are getting a shyte tonne of ways to increase our XP value, but there is only 1 reason anyone would bother with it. And that is MOS points, 3 per MOS, right? Even with them costing exponentially more XP, eventually people will buy their points in the classes they play and then not even bother with getting any more once they reach that point of, "Meh, I think I am okay with X many capped classes."

btw, i expected something aboot costmetics (-.5)
  3. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

Do you still get limits on how many points you can swap around based on rank or is it getting cut too? As in, is everyone allowed to swap same amount right of the bat or is it controlled/tiered by your rank.
    If it is still restricted i don't see how it magically solves issue with bank modifications. Sure it's not as juicy but still a reason to boost yourself.

Red thing is not entirely true, sure high rating boosted your movespeed giving you more opportunities to not get hit, but at same time your hit quotas were cut essentially punishing you harder for fucking up.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now you need to add daily quests too like 'Kill x hounds today - get dog camo'
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Just updating them to reflect the new systems. Like the ones related to Sprint, for instance.

Nope. You'll be able to take from wherever you want and put wherever you want.

The point of this is that you wouldn't be able to max them out. Imagine a situation similar to the current Weapon Mods where, if you want to improve in one area, you have to take from another first.

Credits are earned in relation to how much experience is earned, so it's really just a roundabout way of earning credits. Having huge experience is also a status thing, because I know people like having the biggest numbers (even if they don't impact in-game stuff). Currently I'm considering either making Officer ranks (so ranks beyond 10,000) cost a LOT more XP to reach or just retooling high Rating to increase credit gain.

Why do people who play MOBAs constantly worry about keeping their matchmaking rating up?

Both.

Codes will be posted in Announcements in a topic that can only be viewed if the person in question is a registered user.

MOS is currently under review. I haven't been working on it given my focus on other systems so I don't have a lot of details right now, but the gist is that it's probably going to get overhauled into something different or removed entirely. The focus is on removing significant advantages from long-term players, and being able to start at Level 2/with an additional Talent Point is a pretty big advantage.

As soon as you hit 5k, you're allowed to swap as much as you want. That said, I know it's not going to be a total solution to hacking - the only way we're going to get a total solution is if Blizzard allows server-side banks. The goal is to make hacking less attractive as an option because it's easier to achieve what the player wants.

NOTD 2's original Rating concept also gave damage bonuses at the higher tiers. In the original Rating is fine, but in my haste to improve everything I tacked that on a little unnecessarily.

Nah. The goodie bags are partially to give players nice things, partially to encourage people to visit the forum - even if it is to just get the code.
  5. stanK

stanK Member

Unfortunately even server-side banks will do little against hackers who modify real time RAM numbers. And there is a bunch of easy to follow tutorials online on it. Hopefully it will affect a decent number of hackers though, its a nice improvement, copying bank files is sooooo dull... (If blizz adds it)
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Well, bank hacking. At the very least, real-time RAM modification is covered under Blizzard's Terms of Use, and will get someone banned from Starcraft II entirely should they be caught.
  7. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

MOBA games are a bit beyond me, as I have yet to find one that I enjoy playing (The one that I did play got cancelled before reaching release). However, isn't it meant to match them with opponents of equal (Ha!) skill and move up the ladder? The ladder being nothing more than a symbol of internet epeen size.

Last time I checked SC2 doesn't have those in the editor. We have ramps, though!
  8. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Essentially, higher ladder generally should mean better games, better players for an ARTS. (In practice, this can vary in taste as well as practical constraints like playerbase.) What Kith is basically saying is that Rating would be a tangible goal for players to try and reach. Kinda like "get Masters" in melee SC2. Its a good sentiment for a PvP game but in a PvE, seems kinda hollow though.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

NOTD 2 is going to have leaderboards, sorted by rating bracket.
  10. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Oh boy o boi. That sounds cool. (I have experience with leaderboards, not ladders.)

I hope I don't sound rude, but is this a "This is what we want, but if we have to cut it for XYZ then okay" kind of thing?

Or a "This is going to happen, even if it takes us X long" thing?
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Just about everything that we've talked about with NOTD 2 has been the latter. The only time we've cut back or altered goals was when we realized that:
    • Implementation of the design was not actually possible due to engine limitations
    • The design had major balance issues
    • Implementation had advanced beyond the design and the design became obsolete
    Thankfully, I know that leaderboards are totally possible given that Banana Cheaters has one, so the first point doesn't apply and the other two aren't an issue because leaderboards aren't direct gameplay influences. Granted, it might take a while, but it'll happen.
  12. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Banana Cheaters... I never understood that game during the Party Nights, but I r8 it 7.8/8.

I see. So the only reason is bragging rights? (I can get over bragging rights being the only thing because everyone loves day shiz. I still wish there was something else.)
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Banana Cheaters was originally a Unit thing - we discovered that it was possible to drop bananas, so we decided that we were going to get a member of Unit to the #1 spot on the scoreboard. Of course, because Unit was playing it, the rest of the NOTD community soon followed, and then it became Party Night material.

It gives people something to work towards.