Custom Status Bars

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

So now that I've (finally) gotten working on things other than design documents and terrain, first thing I wanted to hash out was custom status bars to make it easier to differentiate players and to make things look nicer in general. So far, progress looks like this:

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Two Raynors battling for dominance while sporting very fancy status bars

Features of this setup include:
    • The Player's Username displayed above the bar
    • Health, Shields, and Energy display (segments optional)
    • Shields overlapping Health for easy viewing of both (as opposed to the weird and awful "temp health" that shields have shown up as in games such as Heroes of the Storm)
    • Reduction highlights (aka when you get slapped, whatever health you lost will be briefly displayed in red)
    • Player/Ally/Enemy Specific Health Coloration
    • Duration bar (contextual)
    • Progress bar (contextual)
    • A fancy Terran-style metal frame
    • The potential for player customization in the form of replacing the frame with other, shinier ones
    Post your feedback, folks. If you don't like it, say so, 'cause once it goes in it's not getting changed unless something breaks.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yukitaka Oni

Yukitaka Oni Member

Question, v)o.o)^
    - Does it show exact number hp/hp and energy/energy? Or it's only show the hp bar and energy bar?
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Nope. If you want exact numbers, you'll have to take a look at the unit information panel.
  4. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

5. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Nice to finally see an update. A few questions though:

1) Would displaying the character level next to the status bar be a good idea? It would reduce the need to click on teammates every time one wants to check up on them.

2) Same question as above, this time with ability buffs (concentrated fire), debuffs (surgical strike's damage penalty, for example), and status ailments (open wounds, cripples, etc.).

3) Would this be applied to enemies as well, or would they be using the default status bar?
  6. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

XP is shared globally between all players evenly. Everyone is the same level for the duration of the game, as far as I know.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Exciting news.

1) Levels in NOTD 2 are shared. If you're Level 5, your buddy is too.
    2) You'll be able to find these on the unit information panel. I'm trying to avoid clutter.
    3) Bosses yes, regular enemies no. Regular mobs get regular status bars, but special enemies (bosses, uniques, mercs, ect) will get interesting frames. Minions of the player's (FO minis, ect) will likely retain the standard as well unless there's a significant push for them to have something more fancy.
  8. stanK

stanK Member

Players already see health, shields and energy for other players if they set "always show unit life bars" option.
    It's the current craze of arcade games.... ooh... custom life bars for heroic units... ooh. Makes the game look more polished.

This is bad. Life bars for all players are customized by... *ME*. If i don't want to see them i disable them. If I want to see them on mouse-over, I can set that. I really don't want to look at a border made out of dicks just cos someone wants to show it off, its bad enough hero bars are impossible to hide. Either way it just creates more work for you -- for very little visual gain. Having same Terran border for players is fine, as is having same Zerg border for enemy heroes, or no border for enemy heroes at all.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

These bars replace the basic status bar, not overwrite it. Whatever settings you have for status bars (hidden, selection only, damage only, ect) will apply to these.

"Player customization" as in "the player can choose to have a different one from a list of preset options". There will be no dick-borders, and whatever extra fancy options are available are not going to be super obtrusive.
  10. stanK

stanK Member

Impossible to hide in campaign, not sure you can implement them to honor sc2 settings in arcade. Anyways my eyes wont bleed out if you add one or two bars, so good luck implementing what you like :D

Cool
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

You can. I happen to be out of town for the weekend, but I'll post some comparison shots when I'm back again.
  12. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

This upsets me most.
  13. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Rephrased, what would be the differentiation for boss status bars?
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Different frame (or none), different health bar color.
  15. Yukitaka Oni

Yukitaka Oni Member

Next question: does it has a slide show teammate hp bar like notd 1? (To check teammate hp/Xp/etc...)? <(o.o)^
  16. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Personally loved the shit out of this bar when playing medic.
  17. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Completely different part of the UI, but yes.
  18. Yukitaka Oni

Yukitaka Oni Member